Please recommend me a decent & affordable MIDI keyboard

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
this is really one of the worst areas for hardware imo, i could never find the right keyboard with the right amount of knobs. eventually i got a nice keyb with a seperate knob box. might be worth going the second hand route?

massrock

I'd prefer more than two octaves myself but everything mentioned so far has been so this is worth a look. No USB though so if you wanted to use it with a computer you'd need a MIDI IN port. It's possible someone will hack the wireless (bluetooth?) for MIDI at some point.

The Akai MPK looks nice, but no pitch bend? I think the Korg Nanokeys have the same sort of feel as a laptop keyboard.

There's also the the Akai Synthstation which is made for iPhone / iPod Touch but has USB and DIN MIDI out as well.

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/akai-synthstation-25--71045

Last edited:

daddek

you cant really get a decent one for 75 unfortunately. If you get a micro one, get the akai one, the korg one will fall apart after a few weeks. If you want expressive playing (pitch bend, decent key action etc) you need to drop some more money. maybe that cakewalk a 500s.

massrock

That's true. Or if you have a MIDI interface, look out for a good deal on a second hand keyboard / synth.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Er, but it's not MIDI.

Got me a Nanokey (which isn't either) last year. Good for the money but not what I'd call a long-term solution.