PDA

View Full Version : Cassettes

Elijah
15-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Can someone help me understand the sense of doing these please. Im seeing them pop up everywhere, normally limited to 100 copies... Does anyone still have a tape deck?

luka
15-12-2010, 08:27 AM
nostalgia. nothing more.

john eden
15-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Partly nostalgia for a time when music couldn't be digitised or downloaded.

Partly novelty value?

I like the idea that someone young would be so obsessed with noise or whatever music that they would go and buy a tape deck to hear it.

Most of this stuff is wilfully obscure isn't it? Black metal, noise, hypnagogic pop?

I also like the fact that cassettes aren't even being manufactured any more!

On a practical level you can duplicate your own and DIY release (which you can't do with vinyl) and they aren't CDRs, a medium it is hard to love.

john eden
15-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Personally I hate cassettes. Too many memories of them chewing up or warping.

A lot of music nerds are quite nostalgic, aren't they? In general I mean.

Simon78
15-12-2010, 08:39 AM
OFF! released one yesterday and it sold out straight away so somebody is buying/collecting them

http://burgerrecords.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1969944

john eden
15-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Ben UFO just did one for Trilogy Tapes, which is run by the guy who does design for Honest Jons:

http://www.thetrilogytapes.com/ttt/

I like the hype about it all.

Elijah
15-12-2010, 08:47 AM
For me being a 90s kid I only ever used cassettes to tape things off the radio, never really paid for product on them so yea its just weird for me, seeing house and dubstep mixes being sold on tape. Got a couple of friends in bands as well who have been selling tapes of their work. Weird!

john eden
15-12-2010, 08:49 AM
What's really mad is seeing old noise tapes from the eighties on eBay for a hundred quid (Broken Flag stuff)

Simon78
15-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Old Eminem tapes sell for silly money. I think this guy's asking price is a bit mental though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eminem-Soul-Intent-Tape-Pre-Infinite-Slim-Shady-EP-/290511245071?pt=Music_Cassettes&hash=item43a3d1cf0f

$5000!!!

gumdrops
15-12-2010, 11:09 AM
tapes are big.

and they sound better than mp3s.

i like my hip hop mix tapes from the 90s from stretch and bobbito and dj premier.

and listening to a tape of an old slimzee set is better than an mp3 of it. always nice to have a thick, needlessly space-wasting tape.

alex
15-12-2010, 11:11 AM
have loads of old sidewinder, garage nation and recorded from radio ones, got an old morefire crew feat neeko, ozzie, lethal commander and seanie and there was one more DJ but cant remember his name??

also got a dizzee rascall/roll deep/payg one from way back when they were warring with heartless and dizze is dropping bars like 'now they wanna try test us... dat dat dat dat dont make sense, superglue mighty moe's ears to a fence'

gumdrops
15-12-2010, 11:22 AM
obv the popularity of them now is a novelty thing, prob from ppl that barely play tapes, same as 7" singles really, but hey, its cool to see.

woebot did a good piece on tapes for fact.

martin
15-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Still have a tape deck though rarely use it, and a few old ragga clashes and South London jungle pirate shows on cassette (rapidly oxidising). Soundclashes work best on tape, don't ask me why, they mostly sound dreadful on MP3. Also, I used to like those beeps at the start of commercially-produced cassettes (what was the point of them? some sort of anti-piracy measure? if so, how did it work?)

Another thing you could do with tapes is buy a load of cheap ones from Oxfam - Wham, Electric Youth, Level 42, all that - take them home, put sellotape over the tape heads, record you and your mates screaming obscenities and blowing kazoos, then take them back to a charity shop for the benefit of future unwary punters.

Our school had a load of old '70s language tapes in a cupboard, and me and a friend took them home to use as C90s. I had a whole tape full of punk songs and in between each track there'd be a snatch of some woman explaining how to say you were from Biarritz or listing off French names for vegetables.

But the most killer tape application - capturing weird shit on the radio.

blacktulip
15-12-2010, 12:19 PM
OFF! released one yesterday and it sold out straight away so somebody is buying/collecting them

http://burgerrecords.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1969944

Wall-to-wall wow on the lineup.

Simon78
15-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Wall-to-wall wow on the lineup.

off topic sorry

Its really good. They released it as a 7" vinyl boxset and as mp3s. The artwork is all by Raymond Pettibon.

http://www.offofficial.com/

nomos
15-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I also like the fact that cassettes aren't even being manufactured any more!
this, for some reason, came as a big surprise to me when i went looking for some recently ("you know i really should dig out that 4-track..."). i used to buy those maxell ones in the gold wrapper by the case. now old stock goes for silly prices on ebay. chrome tapes in general are almost extinct - you can only buy type 1s unless you find a duplicating service that'll sell you a few generic blanks.

http://blog.mobilemusicmessenger.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/maxell_xl_2_s_90_a1.jpg

Dunninger
15-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Is it really true that cassettes aren't manufactured anymore? There are still places offering duplication and empty cassettes, there are even major labels releasing cassettes for children, and there are enough places on the world where cassettes are still a very common format. I can't imagine that that this is all old stock. I guess cassettes are still manufactured, they're just not sold on the (west european/north american) consumer market.

There's a cassette release of my music planned for next year, the reason for choosing the format are mainly that there's not much choice if you want to do a really small run DIY style (<100) for a reasonable price and don't want to do a digital/cdr release. Plus the haptic and sonic characteristics of a cassette go well with the themes and sound of the music.

Bang Diddley
15-12-2010, 03:43 PM
I was in Richer Sounds a couple of months ago and they were still selling cassettes. My car only plays cassettes so I'm still with them. Not sure if I could sit down and do a mix tape nowadays they simply take to much time. But listening to some of those old tapes is great I can still remember putting them together.

But as for releasing new music on tapes, would many people go out and buy a deck if they don't have one and there not cheap unless you can pick up a second hand one. I've thought about it but there's nothing new I can find that is less than 150.

CrowleyHead
15-12-2010, 04:18 PM
I know a couple of metal/hardcore labels who do cassette releases; it makes a lot more sense than vinyl in that culture.

That said, if I could, I'd be that dude on E-Bay paying ridiculous amounts for Essentials recordings or something.

nomos
15-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Is it really true that cassettes aren't manufactured anymore? There are still places offering duplication and empty cassettes, there are even major labels releasing cassettes for children, and there are enough places on the world where cassettes are still a very common format. I can't imagine that that this is all old stock. I guess cassettes are still manufactured, they're just not sold on the (west european/north american) consumer market.
Seems to be the case that only Type Is are being sold for consumer use now (Maxell, Fuji). But the duplicators still have Type IIs (chrome).

Though I found these wholesale Akais after a lot of looking.
http://www.globalbatteries.us/product.php?productid=22558&cat=326&page=1

They have generic ones for a really good price but they don't indicate the bias
http://www.globalbatteries.us/product.php?productid=23205&cat=326&page=3

nomos
15-12-2010, 06:20 PM
^^ actually, those prices make the idea of a cassette release pretty attractive.

Sectionfive
15-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Best thing about cassette was how easy they where on batteries.
Last for days drinking in a field.

jimitheexploder
15-12-2010, 08:33 PM
All I know is that my car still has a cassette player and my ipod often forgets to get charged up or just gets left at home by acident. Having a few tapes about that I haven't heard a million times since I was 11 is a bonus. So I pick up the odd bit here and there but mostly just record the odd mix from the radio like in the olden days.

craner
15-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Argos are still selling cassette walkmans, i'm going to get one while I can.

outraygeous
15-12-2010, 09:49 PM
I have been thinking about getting a tape deck again only really to see if they do actually sound good and to revive all my old pirate tapes from 20 years ago.

off/on topic i have been listening to tapes and tapes first album alot

slowtrain
15-12-2010, 10:38 PM
They still sell tapes here in NZ....

I think the good thing about 'em is that they can have really long playing times... C90's are great for lengthy lo-fi black metal tunes... Plus they have moving parts

I think they're actually just as convenient as vinyl (OK, maybe a bit less)

Dr Awesome
16-12-2010, 08:59 AM
They still sell tapes here in NZ....

Do they? In The Warehouse or similar? I haven't seen any...

You're making Nu Zulund sound like the backwater ut is.

luka
16-12-2010, 12:29 PM
the warehouse aka the peoples palace...

my family werent into buying me stuff so i never had a cd player till i was about 17. (no vcr, no video games, i was a deprived child!) so i got everything on tape. i think the last tape i got was liquid swords in about 96. i really like them. they costed a tenner. i used to get one a week.

slowtrain
16-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Do they? In The Warehouse or similar? I haven't seen any...

You're making Nu Zulund sound like the backwater ut is.

I used to buy them from the warehouse (for the old 4-track) - although haven't bought any in about a year... So maybe not now that I think about it (it smells in there)

slim jenkins
17-12-2010, 06:36 AM
Taping my favourite tunes off the chart show on Sunday night was always fun. Must admit, the sight of the one posted earlier did send a bolt of nostaglia straight through my heart. Now they seem to be symbols of some kind of 'cred', either as limited releases or in the sense of 'I've got DJ Fukkup's South Bronx party mix blah blah'. Obvious reaction to digital. Someone mentioned a Pop Group tape the other day, which made me wish I'd kept my player because I have one of their gigs on tape too, along with a couple of my gigs in which I read/ranted poetry whilst someone skronked on sax and clattered on drums...oh it was amazing....really.....

john eden
17-12-2010, 09:41 PM
http://mailorder.rumpsti-pumsti.com/index.php?productID=3424

Nick Gutterbreakz
22-12-2010, 10:59 PM
cassettes rock. they sound loads better than mp3s. they don't jump when you accidently slam a cupboard door too hard, like cds do. they're tuff and durable - i used one to scrap ice off the windscreen the other day (without a protective case) - still plays fine.
okay, occasionally one will get chewed up. but no format is perfect.
i'm doing a double-cassette release with mordant music next year. we're calling it "2xC45".

john eden
23-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Great title!:cool:

routes
23-12-2010, 10:33 AM
they sound loads better than mp3s.

no they don't! and besides, that probably has as much to do with your speakers than anything else.

nochexxx
23-12-2010, 01:12 PM
no they don't! and besides, that probably has as much to do with your speakers than anything else.

*cough* yes they do! at least from my perspective. this argument is largely dependent on where your own tastes lie as an audiophile.

nochexxx
23-12-2010, 01:13 PM
i'm doing a double-cassette release with mordant music next year. we're calling it "2xC45".

please tell me you will also be releasing a record called 2 x 12"!?!

baboon2004
23-12-2010, 01:55 PM
I have fond memories of cassettes, probably bound up with killing music by home taping in the late 80s. Though most of mine were of chart shows recorded dutifully at 5pm every Sunday. Probably still got most of them somewhere......

grizzleb
24-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Even as a relative youngster I still have fond memories of casettes. They were still used in various mates cars up until very recently. Crunchy warm sound of distortion and car stereos.

mms
29-12-2010, 11:17 AM

they really do - good quality cassettes sound really good.

skull kid
30-12-2010, 01:23 PM
^this. a good quality cassette tape will sound better than an mp3 every day of the week

i've been enjoying the touch-affiliated tapeworm label, some really cool conceptual stuff like stefan goldmann's tape that makes use of the auto-reverse function to create an endless loop that the listener can navigate freely

that forthcoming mordant music/ekoplekz tape sounds sick

Nick Gutterbreakz
04-01-2011, 10:16 AM
please tell me you will also be releasing a record called 2 x 12"!?!

not just yet, but there will be an accompanying 12" with different tracks :D

that forthcoming mordant music/ekoplekz tape sounds sick

thanks! it looks like the original 2xC45 project has now grown into a 2xC60, which kinda knackers the title concept (assuming you're a cabaret voltaire fan and get the reference in the first place!). might have to come up with a new title...:slanted:

all i can say for sure is that, to my ears, my cassettes fuck over my wife's ipod nano in the car stereo every time

Mr. Tea
04-01-2011, 11:11 AM
all i can say for sure is that, to my ears, my cassettes fuck over my wife's ipod nano in the car stereo every time

Ah, well there you go - I'm no iPod expert but it's probably fair to assume the Nano doesn't have the world's greatest pre-amp, right?

However I do remember hi-quality tapes, made on a good stereo, sounding pretty damn decent on a Sony walkman in the late '90s. Especially with those nice earphones that stick right into your ears and SUPERBASS(tm) BASS BOOST WITH XTRA BASS turned on. :cool:

Dr Awesome
04-01-2011, 11:51 AM
My new car has a cassette player.
This in itself is nothing extra ordinary, except when you consider that it's a Volkswagen Pasat made in 2002.

Someone, somewhere, ordered a new car in 2002 and couldn't be bothered specifying anything other than a cassette player. This is odd because it has other options that aren't base model (Air-Con, well... at least I think it isn't standard);

Anyway, I must get round to getting a semi-decent head unit - the knockoff iTrip I use sounds god awful.

gumdrops
04-01-2011, 03:47 PM
my vw polo from the early 00s has the same setup. no cd player. no dab. just tapes. which actually suits me fine. plus everything just tends to sound better in the car anyway. esp grime/funky/dubstep etc.

john eden
12-01-2011, 08:48 AM
stuff like this still makes laugh and feel good about the world:
http://www.secondlayer.co.uk/index/p9081.htm

Sectionfive
09-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Bass Clef's new album (http://magicanddreams.wordpress.com/2011/04/08/new-bass-clef-album/).

Littlefoot
10-04-2011, 11:35 AM
I do a cassette label called Coffee Beat with a friend, we put out post punk/garage punk/lofi type stuff

Sounds better for that kinda music than an mp3 for sure.

Cassettes are wicked little things when used properly, I've also done some mastering for people to cassette recently.

Littlefoot
10-04-2011, 11:40 AM

There's a cassette release of my music planned for next year, the reason for choosing the format are mainly that there's not much choice if you want to do a really small run DIY style (<100) for a reasonable price and don't want to do a digital/cdr release. Plus the haptic and sonic characteristics of a cassette go well with the themes and sound of the music.

No it's not true, they are still being manufactured, I don't know where this myth has come from?:eek:

nomos
24-04-2011, 06:55 PM
ha! forgot about this http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?5670-what-to-do-about-cassettes

(Ekoplekz in 'Tapes are Impractical' Shocker!)