Article on the sound for the new Tron movie

nomos

Administrator
Thanks for that. Curious to hear how it all turned out. Daft Punk may work out just fine but I did cringe when I heard it was them - just imagining the likelihood of it being kitschy. Imagine they'd said "thanks but you really should talk to Jeff Mills." :cool:

slowtrain

That sounds really interesting, bit about the 'whine' of the light suits is great. I'm actually kinda keen to check this out at the theatres. (Despite the poor review the soundtrack got at Pitchfork!)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Thanks for that. Curious to hear how it all turned out. Daft Punk may work out just fine but I did cringe when I heard it was them - just imagining the likelihood of it being kitschy. Imagine they'd said "thanks but you really should talk to Jeff Mills." :cool:

You're pretty much on the money - the sound effects per se in the film are good, tho Transformers did it better - but the music is pretty much what you'd expect, too heavy handed for me, though I guess it fits with the film ;), I'll leave it at that til you've seen it. Seein it stoned is probably better, I merely had flu and it wasn't enough.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
it's a shit soundtrack. so enthrall to the epic 80s movie soundtracks. i didn't think it fitted the film at all, in fact i thought it was completely disconnected from it. the orchestrations are all so boring, classic oooh-i've-got-access-to-an-orchestra. and the central melodic theme is awful. there's actually very little electronics but what's there is shit, a few bladerunnerish arps in there burbling along boringly. you'd think the one thing you could rely on Daft Punk for would be a decent bit of drum machinage with a filtered sample or something in the 'club' scene, but it's so bad it sounds like dunno nine inch nails or something. it's such a wasted opportunity cos i think there are some great visuals in the film.

edit - i just read that article ^ ... eenteresting.. when i hear sound-designers going on about there having been alot of 'experimentation' that normally means they had to do loads of work before the money people liked any of it. i know this because it's happened to me.... quite a few times! and the bit about the 'whine' of the suits is funny. again, i can relate!

Last edited:

Karl Kraft

Saw this last night, that 'derezzed' tune really made me think of the 'Escape from New York' soundtrack, infact a few bits sounded like John Carpenter doing Vangelis.
All fair critisisms above I'd say, but I just like all component parts, and I think them doing the soundtrack makes sense (both ways) beyond what they brought musicaly.

The film looked really nice, when I first saw pics of it, I was kinda dissapointed how sharp and glossy it looked (which again was probably required for the whole HD 3D thing), I was hoping they might do someting a little more retro, but I liked it. All the cloud and mist, and the rocky 'off grid' areas helped balance out the shinyness. The exterior lighting was especially beautiful, made me think of John Martin's engravings. Just a shame about the shit Star Wars cookie cutter storyline..

Last edited: