blackdown soundboy on standards of grime lyricism

gumdrops

http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2005/03/go-on-then.html

"I was listening 1Xtra's audio of dancehall's Sting event in Jamaica yesterday and was really struck by the lyrical differences between grime and dancehall. Although Jamaica may well have more guns, through religion there is still a conscious voice in dancehall, telling the gunmen to put their weapons down. The lyrics, on the whole, are fixated by/directed towards women.

Grime, perhaps London's equivalent voice, on the whole has no conscious side, especially live, and lyrically is almost without exception fixated by/directed towards other men.

I'm also haunted by something drum & bass artist Klute said in a biog interview with me late last year. Drawing on his experience of punk yet describing the current state of d&b, he commented on how scenes that rev themselves up often find it a dead end. Ultimately, revving is a cul-de-sac, where as the energy levels rise, the only thing left for them is to rise yet further before ultimately stalling.

Apply this to grime and you wonder where we're headed. Dynasty's set on Cameo the other week just descended into shouting. Roll Deep on Westwood has had me mesmerised for the days since it happened, but Skepta's lyrics - that generated huge response from the Entourge - are of concern. How can "go on then/go on then/Go on then/GO ON THEN/GO ON THEN!!!!!" be adept lyricism? Sounds like revving to me… and no one wants grime to stall."

-----

Personally, I don’t think grime MCs prize lyricism as highly as dancehall DJs or hip hop mcs. There isn’t much emphasis on saying something of worth, coming up with content. Arguably hip hop MCing is all about repeating the same themes over and over but in fresh ways, the triumph of saying something utterly vacuous as inventively as possible, but grime MCing, like previous pirate/rave MCing, is still more about style, rather than substance.

I suppose the problem for me comes when the MCs don’t maintain such high standards of style. I don't find Riko nearly as brilliant on record as I do when seeing him at raves or hearing him on Rinse. It seems that when making songs, this becomes most apparent. Here, most Grime MCs lose what makes them such compulsive listening on pirates - the energy, the frenzy, the endless room to MC as long as they can without interruption, except another MC to do the same, etc. Tunes that have kept the energy - SLK's Hype Hype remix or Lethal B's Fwd Riddim somehow sound a bit ridiculous out of the confines of a pirate session, even though one of their calling cards, at least in Lethal’s view, is to transfer the pirate format into a song. But strapped into less than five minutes on record away from the electricity of Rinse or Freeze or Déjà vu, they don’t sound so ephemeral anymore. So to me at least, the MCs sound a tad silly as they have little to say for themselves, or little to say with anything resembling panache. Many of them don’t sound that amazing as pure MC poetry either (even D Double, who usually, I don’t care what he says as he just sounds so good spitting complete gibberish isn’t at his best IMHO).

I think grime MCs are kinda like freestyle-oriented MCs in hip hop - Craig G, Supernatural, Juice, etc - who are fantastic running with the vibe and improvising on radio sessions or live on stage. Placed within a song format though, they generally flounder within the limits of the verse-chorus-verse pop song format. In this respect, grime MCs are maybe like early hip hop MCs, who were used to rapping for half an hour at a time, with no hook or chorus or break, before they had to compact their rhymes into pop song formats. Most of those MCs were lyrically somewhat superficial too and like UKG MCs, started off hyping the DJ or the party, then became the stars themselves. Perhaps the next wave of grime MCs will react to this current school, and come with more ‘content’ (for lack of a better word), but considering the stance of the ‘youngers’ that are emerging, it seems that somewhat vacuous lyrics will be the preference. In a way, the priorities of the post-rave MC continuum remain intact.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
well, i'm biased but i do think that dancehall at its best - especially at its slackest, rougest and daftest - is unparralelled in terms of lyrical flow and inventiveness.

Noah Baby Food

gumdrops said:
http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2005/03/go-on-then.html

In this respect, grime MCs are maybe like early hip hop MCs, who were used to rapping for half an hour at a time, with no hook or chorus or break, before they had to compact their rhymes into pop song formats. Most of those MCs were lyrically somewhat superficial too and like UKG MCs, started off hyping the DJ or the party, then became the stars themselves. Perhaps the next wave of grime MCs will react to this current school, and come with more ‘content’ (for lack of a better word), but considering the stance of the ‘youngers’ that are emerging, it seems that somewhat vacuous lyrics will be the preference. In a way, the priorities of the post-rave MC continuum remain intact.

Yep, totally agree with this. I love grime down to the bones, it excites the living shit out of me. But we must keep it real...some of the MCing is very, very wack. I really like some of the wack stuff, but recognize it's wack.

"I don't care if you shot two keys of punk blud/I'll beat you up"

But yeah. it's early days, people are learning their trade. Before Rakim emerged there were a hundred Big Bank Hanks, let's not forget. And there are some very, very good MCs on the scene even by hip hop's wordier standards.

Speaking as an MC who's used to flowing long sentences over 90bpm, it's a totally different discipline spitting short bars over 140bpm. Trying to get some actual content in there can be tough.

Also, vaguely related...this gets me thinking, maybe we can all be a bit under-critical of grime as we want it to do well...gets me thinking about the amount of "influence" from mainstream US hip hop that doesn't get picked up on. Examples:

Fumin's catchphrase: "What What?"
NORE's catchphrase: "What What?"

D Double: "OOOOUURRRRRRHHHH..." (or however you choose to spell it)
Master P: "UNNNGGGHHHH..."

That Essentials (I think) track with all that "state your name gangsta" business...this is DIRECTLY NICKED from "World War III" by Ruff Ryders feat Snoop, Jada', etc. A boss track, btw.

I would chance the suggestion that a lot of cats on blogs or whatever don't know any of this, coz back in day they were listening to Lyricist Lounge or something, not Ruff Ryders/Cash Money/No Limit etc, like cool old me was at the turn of the millennium. So nerrr!

Within BreakBeat, we were jus talking bout this a couple of days. The general consensus was that NUKG/Garage is more a triumph of style over substance. An MC could have the best lyrics in the world but still not get as much hype as another MC who comes off saying 'HYPE HYPE!!' which to me is ridiculous. This is why a lot of the time I can't take Garage seriously.

Your point about the youngers is important though. Looking up to hype MC's is a problem as from what I've seen they jus seek to emulate them but you can never underestimate the youth....we may seem lyricism become a priority in the future....hopefully lol......

stelfox

Beast of Burden
now, i don't think we can really say that things are directly nicked from anything in grime. this is where the whole point of the hardcore 'nuum and my basic idea that ragga is absolutely at the centre of it comes into its own. grime interpolates lyrics, melodies and motifs from outside sources in much the same way dancehall does - it's part of the way it operates. sure it's a good spot but i think to a certain extent using terms like "ripped" and "nicked" misses a big part of what grime is actually all about.

Last edited:

gumdrops

x-post, yeah, a lot of journos forget that Essentials' HQ track was completely copped from Ruff Ryders. Not sure about Fumin copying NORE’s phrase or DEE borrowing Master P’s ‘uhhh’ phrase though. Im not so bothered about them nicking little things here and there though - that's fine, dancehall artists borrow from Us artists too. Most grime MCs make it their own, its not slavish copying. Demon does sound disturbingly like Freeway though. He needs to come up with his own style. Im surprised no ones called him out on it yet.

What I find strange/worse is people making excuses for grime MCs like Bruza, who is essentially a terrible MC, yet in the wire, Reynolds praises him for having a “true British flow” and a sense of timing that’s almost 'not a flow'. No flow is not a good thing! Copying American flows IS pathetic, but possessing NO flow is equally bad. I mean, Dizzee flows. Lethal B used to flow back in the More Fire era until he started shouting and screaming too. Kano flows. Well, most of the time.

Last edited:

Noah Baby Food

Yeah, I hear ya folks. Not saying a "direct steal" as such, just there's biiiiig influences there that don't always get brought up.

I don't know about all this "hardcore continuum" crack you lot go on about really. Dare I suggest it sounds a little, maybe, pretensious? (awaits abuse..hehe). I'll have to mull it over. But, in the words of LCD Soundsystem, "I was there"...hehe....

The mainstream US hip hop influence though: this is pretty major. I lived in Walthamstow in 2000 and I can definitely see the progression to grime from what the yoofs were rocking back then. And the white liberal media never picked up on this at the time - (similar, with "bling" being such a big word in mainstream UK media recently...how many of those using it have heard "Bling Bling", an AWESOME track by BG which ORIGINATED the term?). Let's not forget Dizzee's favcourite producers are DJ Paul and Juicy J from Hypnotize Minds. A lot of you cats probably agree with me, but "commercial" hip hop has been the most sonically interesting form for years. Heard some of that Madlib stuff at the weekend and BY GOD i hate all that nonsense...anyway, tangent...

...just sometimes I think people try and bracket the music they currently like according to what they wish it HAD descended from, rather than seeing its genuine roots.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Noah Baby Food said:
I don't know about all this "hardcore continuum" crack you lot go on about really. Dare I suggest it sounds a little, maybe, pretensious? (awaits abuse..hehe). I'll have to mull it over. But, in the words of LCD Soundsystem, "I was there"...hehe...

well it's all very basic common sense, really. and with the exception of some of the americans on the board, constrained by geography, and a couple of us who were too young, we were all there, too, so do know what we're on about.

gumdrops

id venture that in the same way hip hop was a reaction to disco, funk and soul, just as much as it used all those things for its foundation, grime is as much a reaction to UKG, jungle, drum n bass, rave etc as it forms them into its grounding.

cooper

gumdrops said:
x-post, yeah, a lot of journos forget that Essentials' HQ track was completely copped from Ruff Ryders.

This is because a lot of said journos would rather steal off blissblog/silverdollarcircle and go back to safe hip genres that send them nice 1-sheet promo blurbs to regurgitate. Seriously, the level of lazy-ass critical bandwagoneering in the US has reached a nadir with this grime blip (Vivian from XLR8R said Run the Road NYC was split like oil and water between fans mashing up and critics looking on, one of whom was actually stroking his goatee.) Jess's article, mind you, that was some good shit.

So is it appropriate to transplant US hip-hop lyrical values onto UKG, that's the question. Klute by way of Martin's commentary on jungle/punk revving up is the most interesting part of that post and the one I think this thread lost. Punk was arguably most exciting because it ditched the bloat of "stairway to heaven" "hotel california" big-prog-rock etc. and stripped it down to "let's fuck" "i wanna sniff some glue" "fuck ronald reagan"? By the same token I find lots of grime MCs exciting because of the tone and timbre of their voices and the directness of their lyrics - you don't hear people going for Nas-like extended metaphors but rather even Dizzee and Wiley's big lines are little quick things - "twist an MC like David Platt!"

Ultimately I think it'll be a matter of cycles - I find both styles of MCing interesting and enjoyable, especially when they're juxtaposed. Compare hip-hop's coexistence of early jay-z / biggie / nas lyrical sophistication with the upfront menace and deliberate simplicity of no limit - but the greatness of that 90s era has certainly given way to a barrage of shit rap, hasn't it? Only stuff that's good now is crunk - the lyrically complex stuff has built up so much dogma that it feels dead-ended, and it makes me wonder if that kind of cycling leads inexorably towards a nadir, as in prog-rock(maximalist)->punk(minimalist)->80s synth(maximalist)->grunge and it's all downhill from there as rock ate itself ever faster.

So grime has at least a cycle or two in it, that's what I think.

S

simon silverdollar

cooper said:
I find lots of grime MCs exciting because of the tone and timbre of their voices and the directness of their lyrics - you don't hear people going for Nas-like extended metaphors but rather even Dizzee and Wiley's big lines are little quick things - "twist an MC like David Platt!"

i agree. who cares whether bruza can MC or not; when he says 'get me' it sounds good and it sounds exciting. that's more than good enough. it like asking whether jello biafra can sing: it's not really the point.

but even if MC skill and content is yr thing, i think that for such a small, localised scene to have produced people like dizzee, riko, sharkey major, doogz, kano, trim, wiley, and d double in such a small space of time is pretty remarkable.

gumdrops

i dont expect grime MCs to be on the level of nas or rakim, grime MCs arent lyrical on the whole and i see nothing wrong with that as long as they have great flows and all the other things in place (e.g - i love twista just cos of how he sounds, i dont care what hes saying). when those things arent present though, thats when i have problems. sloppiness is sloppiness.

Last edited:

Noah Baby Food

Props Cooper, that nails it in my opinion. The analogy with prog rock/punk rock is spot on. and damn right, it's about character, delivery and so much more than backpacker Worthy Lyrical Skill. different set of values and all that jazz. but yeah, when things are mixed together it's ace...clever wordplay tricksy stuff mashup with hype basic aggro-styles...

Thing with Bruza though...he's actually really fucking good, on a "proper" MC level. like Jay Z, he's got a lot of clever wordplay and syllablistic stuff that you maybe don't notice on first hearing. that's an MC's MC, as well as having the CRAZY HYPE necessary to excite.

Noah Baby Food

hahaha...

slightly unrelated: would like to see some grime MCs murking Blade. I fucking despise that shitty excuse for an MC. "You've been around for years mate...WELL DONE. Oh, are you writing a new song about being true to your sound and staying positive? Shit, how did you ever think of that?". For me, he stands for everything that is dull, restrictive, pious, "worthy", pointless and SAFE about hip hop. Just coz he's been around for yonks, the dude is BAIT. He should quit. Let's unleash Scratchy and Trim on him or some shit. Fuck, I'd do it meself.

Sorry everyone, but I really hate Blade, and what that shit stands for, and most of his audience. that to me is the polar opposite of all that's exciting 'bout grime.

has anyone heard that new Blade track on Channel U? fake Premier beat, lyrics all about how's he stuck at it for years. makes me wanna kill...

gumdrops

HAHAHA, blade has been boring the pants off me for over a decade! boringest MC in british hip hop, EVER! only black twang are duller.

i wouldnt mind hearing some UKHH MCs over grime - roots manuva, skinnyman, rodney p, fallacy, these guys would murk over a good grime beat. roots has already done it over a jammer remix, and he was really good on there. he altered his flow perfectly for it too. i would say that would be perfect, as youd get people who have something to say over grime production, but i fear i may get abused. ;)

C

captain easychord

gumdrops said:
ha, no ones saying they want grime MCs like sage francis or saul williams!

too late, we've already got l-man.

gumdrops said:
HAHAHA, blade has been boring the pants off me for over a decade! boringest MC in british hip hop, EVER! only black twang are duller.

i can understand blade but blak twang? dull? this is another reason why garage grates a lot of the time with me - the fans. There is hardly an MC in garage who could stand next to Twang....flippin hell lol...how can Rotton be mentioned in the same breath as Scratchy lol...nuff jokes man...sorry to abbreviate your post.