alex smoke

S

simon silverdollar

i'm glad someone has done a thread about this. i really, really like 'chica wappa' and i like his way of exploring the different possibilities within a particular, quite simple, melodic idea [something that chica wappa does really well].

his album's good, but i think in places it seems a little half-finished; like, sometimes tracks end just as they're getting interesting- there's a feeling sometimes that he should have taken things a bit further.

but still, he's crazy young isn't he? so, def. 'one to watch'.

mpc

wasteman
was 'chica wappa' his first 12" on soma? i think i listened to that in phonica but didn't like it as much as the 'simple things' ep on vakant. i listened to his lp last week and it's certainly good stuff. my friend commented that the cd album must have edited versions because some tracks are way too short. maybe the vinyl lp has extended mixes of some of the tracks. have you heard the new 12" on vakant?

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

i think chica wappa was his first soma 12", but i'm not sure. from what i've heard of his vakant stuff, that sounds like the harder and more dancefloor-based, end of his music: lots of his album on soma is very delicate (which is nice).

jack

i've got chica wappa ep. only the title track is any cop really. yeah, between that and the holden mix of nathan fake, it seems that click producers are getting pretty sonically ambitious; it's proper proggy musical journey stuff, but replacing the wading through unfunky mire with click's dainty livelyness.

Tim F

The "Chico Wrappa" on the album is a superior reworking of the original on the 12 inch. The other great dancier track of his to track down is "Strange Attractor", but his absolute pinnacle to date is Dub of Envoy's "Movin' On", which is both frightening and frighteningly good - darker and heavier than the album though.