Record Shop Opening

IdleRich

IdleRich
Don't know of any I'm afraid but good luck to the one in Oxford which is gonna try and buck the trend - i know at least one person who is getting quite excited about it.
Lucky Seven is run by Jason who used to do the one near to the Jazz Bar in Dalston (Vinyl Frontier or something) so it's more of a case of a shop moving than opening I reckon.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
As the linked post suggests, Oxford has been without any record shops at all, apart from a piss poor HMV for a number of years, so it at least has a chance.

However, stupid rents, a mainly transient/rubbish youth population, etc etc has meant the death of loads of good record shops in the city for decades.

It is all the university's fault, obv.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, such a shame Avid shut down, it was a fantastic shop - its death throes were painful to watch. Anyway, anyone been to the new shop yet, what's it like?
I went to Eldica in Dalston earlier today, think that opened in the last year or so. It's got quite a good and random selection of records in there although somewhat overpriced (twenty pounds for I Can See But You Don't Know by The Equals stuck out). Two decks for listening and the staff are very friendly. They had a box full of African sevens, I don't know anything about that music but if I had some money to buy them I would have listened to the whole box and no doubt bought a few. Some here may be interested in that anyway.

http://www.eldica.co.uk/

IdleRich

IdleRich
OK, reading the website it's been around as a stall for ages but only for a while as a shop.

Last edited:

Phaedo

Tried to get a job in the new Oxford one, tbh its barely a record shop but it has got some decent stuff.

IdleRich

IdleRich
How do you mean? Not much stock?
Anyway, a friend of mine is opening a shop in Watford area - dunno exactly what it's selling etc (well, I'm sure it's second hand stuff mainly if not entirely) but it will open on 27th August apparently. The website doesn't have much info on at present but I'm sure it will be added in due course.

http://www.secondscene.co.uk/

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
And another one in London. Only just found out about this, haven't been.

http://www.kristinarecords.com/about-us/

I went here the other week, it was pretty busy; though I didn't see anyone take anything to the counter and actually buy it, there was extensive browsing and it seemed well-stocked. As with Eldica, it did seem to be slightly expensive - I guess this is inevitable to cover rent, etc, but I won't pay £4 for a second-hand copy of something that was only £5 new.

I'm struggling to think of a recently-opened shop that sells only new releases, though. I guess Rough Trade East, but even that was more of a relocation than a brand-new store. It seems second-hand has to be a factor or you won't survive these days.

BareBones

wheezy
I only really actually physically go to record shops these days for second hand stuff, and pretty much everyone I know who buys records is the same. Anything new I/we buy online. Music and video exchange in greenwich is my favourite local shop for second hand stuff, picked up some incredible stuff there. Heard this Kristina place is really good though...

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
Yeah, on reflection it did seem good, actually, most of what they did have was interesting or at least credible. I'm just stingy and was disappointed by the lack of cheap stuff.

john eden

male pale and stale
I went to kristina records today and thought it was pretty great. Nice ppl and good stock. Will go back when I've got cash. Good to see somewhere local stocking Pressure Sounds and Not Not Fun and even Whitehouse.