servicing Technics 1210's?

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Right, here's one for yous. The red cable for one of my decks (Technics 1200s) has stopped working so the sound only comes through one channel. I've tried switching the cables around the sockets in the mixer and it's definitely that cable that's the problem rather than the mixer/headphones/stereo. Any ideas, or am I going to have to get a professional to sort it out?

PadaEtc

Emperor Penguin
Might be that the plug/connector has come loose due to the solder fucking up, happened to me.

Although usually you notice a gradual worsening of sound quality over time.

Simple fix, buy a connector from maplins for £1/2 and then re-solder it on - not too hard!

alex

Do not read this.
this is a LATE question i know, but anyone know why i get so much feedback from one deck??? low end feedback though, something to do with the needle def

wise

bare BARE BONES
this is a LATE question i know, but anyone know why i get so much feedback from one deck??? low end feedback though, something to do with the needle def

probably the earth connection, if it's connected at the mixer it's probably loose inside the deck,
I had this problem with mine

nomos

Administrator
i've had feedback when a headshell isn't screwed on as tightly as it could be.

i've also suffered from intermittent ground loop problems where the hum only goes away if i disconnect one ground wire from the mixer. then it comes back and i have to re-attach it. very strange.

but now i've taken apart my setup, ditched my mixer and stuffed one deck away in a box. no more hum :)

alex

Do not read this.
Thanks Nomos, Wise.. If it is the bloody mixer I am not going to be very impressed with Pioneer, as I haven’t had this DJM 800 that long, and it wasn’t cheap.

Am going to try the headshell and its casing tonight, cause if I am honest, my right deck is very very dodgy. I haven’t bothered buying replacement legs for it yet (they are £20 a pop, can think of a million better ways to spend £80, which is fucking stupid I know considering how much time I spend using them.) and it is resting on 4 x B & H Silver cartons, they seem to do the job and I don’t think that this problem is down to the legs.

My headshell has got a weight on the top, then another 1p, with the weight set all the way nearest to you on the tone-arm. Do I need a new tone arm set up/service? (obviously the answer is yes, but I was just wondering if anyone had any home solutions or methods they could share?)