Reggae Britannia

sufi

lala
some of this (the whole series & spinoffs clearly prompted by eden/meme) was ok, the dennis bovell curated show at the barbican looked sad & old though - was there anything in the season about current uk scene or was it pure retro?

wise

bare BARE BONES
The iplayer link is dead, I just missed Babylon on iplayer as well :(

You can get the first episode of Reggae Britannia on P***** B** though ;)

user/soulrebel2008/

has a whole load of Reggae docs and stuff

muser

some of this (the whole series & spinoffs clearly prompted by eden/meme) was ok, the dennis bovell curated show at the barbican looked sad & old though - was there anything in the season about current uk scene or was it pure retro?

pretty much pure retro from what I saw, to be honest I skipped to the end and didn't bother watching. looked good but I've seen plenty of stuff covering early stuff I was hoping they might go into jungle and general influences on music in UK (aside from 2-tone and punk, and boy george). Has it got UK bubblers in it? I'll probably still watch it sometime anyway.

crackerjack

bit too much Boy George i thought, and no mention of jungle.

or reggae-influenced UK rap, like Rodney P or Roots Manuva

enjoyed it, but it inevitably just skimmed the surface, all told largely from view of punk/post-punk generation - once reggae ceased to influence their music, it ceased to be relevant

petergunn

plywood violin
The iplayer link is dead, I just missed Babylon on iplayer as well :(

You can get the first episode of Reggae Britannia on P***** B** though ;)

user/soulrebel2008/

has a whole load of Reggae docs and stuff

ok, what's P************B********

well, at least make it so i can guess...

unknown soulja

Wild Horses
Whole thing is available on Youtube i think for anyone that missed it -
Some good archive footage and an enjoyable watch but a shame that it onlycovered ground that has been examined before. Definitely scope for another 1.5hr doc taking it from soul II soul to now, maybe that will come about in 2030

Also as othes have said, bit of a shame there was so much focus on boy george, police etc. Its useful to chart the acceptance of reggae into mainstream british music but could happily have lost all that in favour of a more in depth look at explicitly british reggae forms like lovers and fast chat.

gumdrops

enjoyed it, but it inevitably just skimmed the surface, all told largely from view of punk/post-punk generation - once reggae ceased to influence their music, it ceased to be relevant

usual bollocks then.
im still gonna watch it though.
almost glad to hear it didnt try to touch on what happened influence wise after the early 90s or thereabouts just cos those sorts of things usually end up a mess (anyone remember that soul nation docu trevor nelson did? complete sham).

Lichen

It slammed the brakes on in the 80's.

petergunn

plywood violin
WAYYYYYYY too much stuff on the Police... rather see Boy George than them...

just a lil something something on the whole Bim Sherma/Mad Prof/U Sound/Shaka world would have been nice, but whatever...

Dennis Bovell is great...

Don Letts, I never need to fucking see ever again in any documentary...

john eden

male pale and stale
I'v still not seen it all but have it saved up.

The documentary was pretty good I thought - at least it acknowledged lovers rock and the eighties dancehall MC explosion.

And yeah exactly the wrong talking heads - how come Shaka and Lez Lyrix are their as archive footage in the dance but nobody bothers to track them down for an interview?

I agree with Sufi about the Barbican concert, glad I didn't lash out 20 quid for that! But still a good night down memory lane for the big people I guess...

As for Don Letts - petergunn will be thrilled to hear that there is now an entire documentary about him doing the rounds! http://www.uncarved.org/blog/2010/10/the-superstonic-cult-of-don-letts/

petergunn

plywood violin
I'v still not seen it all but have it saved up.

As for Don Letts - petergunn will be thrilled to hear that there is now an entire documentary about him doing the rounds! http://www.uncarved.org/blog/2010/10/the-superstonic-cult-of-don-letts/

you know he's a cunt! he's famous for playing reggae for white punks... i have DJed many many nights playing reggae/hip hop for white people in NYC, yet if someone did a history on NYC DJ;s, no one would interview me,,,

i just feel like, when it comes to the real history of british reggae, he's a bystander... but b/c he is a media schmoozer, he gets his face in there... someone like Dennis Bovell was on the front lines, in actual sound system dances as a DJ and as a musician, needs to be there... did Don Letts ever DJ a single sound system party? i fucking doubt it... so why not interview more actual british soundmen from the 70's,... the people from UK Coxson's or Saxon, as opposed to this asskissing media whore...

ok, i'm drunk, off to bed...