Lost classic LPs of late

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Which brilliant but strangely overlooked LPs have slipped through the net in recent years? (lets say from late 90s onwards)?

An example that would resonate around these parts I’m sure are the 2 amazing Position Normal LPs – ‘Stop Your Nonsense’ and ‘Goodly Time’ ….they are two fine treasures deeply buried for future excavation.

Any others?

luka

i thought az's debut was underrated. dunno about classic quite, but very good.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i'd vote for instant vintage by raphael saadiq, personally. it's gorgeous and barely mentioned in terms of the accepted great r&b/neo soul albums. easily as good as brown sugar by d'angelo

gabriel

The Heatwave
sizzla - rise to the occasion.

should be up there with things like blue lines and maxinquaye in top tens of 'rock' albums (the comparison with these is that it's not a rock album, in fact is a genre-defying album, but i feel deserves the kind of mainstream, list-making appreciation that those two albums got. seems fairly arbitrary i know but makes sense to me)

either way it's amazing and i can't believe more people haven't noticed that.

DavidD

can't be stopped
Actually to a degree I suppose all screw stuff is considered classic now, but i've been immersing myself in it lately and i found that it stood out more than i expected based on its rep, and 3 n tha mornin part 2, as great as it is, didnt stand up to its rep.

tox

Factory Girl
Londinium by Archive - An album very much on a "trip-hop" tip. Its a bit Massive Attack, a bit Portishead and much better than most of the "trip-hop"-lite and chill-out such as Morcheeba that was around at the time. Download the title track Londinium and So Few Words to see what everyones been missing out on.

Ordinary Man by Day One - Again, a downbeat release. A bit like a downbeat version of The Streets but released in 2000 and with more inventive lyrics (in my opinion of course). Check out Trying Too Hard and Love on the Dole for a taster.