• GARAGE

Votes: 25 75.8%

• Total voters

outraygeous

GA/RA/GE/ for the ladies, touch me and tease me

Hearless Crew - MC Buskin - Mission nine oh six oh we got the flow

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
As much as I love funky, I think you can make a good case for garage - esp the stuff from the prime 2-step era - being even better.
Personally though I find them hard to compare accurately because I didn't follow garage in the close, week-in week-out way that I've been following funky - I was in my teens and not much into/aware of dance music at that time, so all I really encountered were a few of the big crossover tunes (which I quite liked). I kind of feel like I'm still catching up with garage now.

Leo

agree with andy...one has been around and well established, the other is still pretty new and still developing. doesn't seem to be a fair fight! ;)

Benny Bunter

This poll would have been better if it included hardcore, jungle, grime and dubstep. But perhaps still equally as pointless...

Still, can't resist putting in a vote for Funky, just because you should always back the underdog.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I love garage, but I was around in London when funky came out, and i think i might like it even more, so it gets my vote.

continuum

smugpolice
funky all day. i don't get the obsession with garage / 2 step its weak in comparison to what came after it. sold all my uk garage vinyl ages ago

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
funky seems to be interested in trying a wider range of reference points, which i like.

but yeah, can't really choose.

gumdrops

songs/vocals in garage seem better/more consistent in funky
plus i think the sonics are more interesting/sharper in garage than funky
but i think i like funky more just cos ive been listened to it more as it happened

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Remixes generally better in funky i think, but that´s my personal preference and nowt more:

Yes, yes, someone´s going to post Jaheim now, I know.....

Phaedo

I'd say Garage as their are far more better tunes from all sides of the genre, the darker stuff, the vocal stuff, the housey stuff.

I find most vocal tunes horribly cheesy. :slanted:

Fundamental

In the good old days funky would have been another sub-genre that would have slotted into the eclectic makeup of UKG. Breakbeat garage, vocal 2-step, grimey garage, dark 4x4, dubstep... funky. A boy can only dream.

Tim F

Funky has a fundamentally different beat matrix and bpm though.

You could just as easily talk about the various sub-genres of funky - vocal, dark, housey, MC-based etc.

wise

bare BARE BONES
Funky doesn't have a fundamentally different BPM, the beat matrix is different but the BPM is the same spread as Garage, 125-135 in the main