Go on then.. who's the best UK MC?

DannyL

Wild Horses
I've been listening to loads of hip hop again lately after a long time off. Really enjoying rediscovering it all again and being impressed by Lil B, Kendrick Lamar, the new e40 and the like. Am really feeling it, but have to ask where's the homegrown talent at? The last UK MCs who blew me away were Trim and Durty Goodz - is there anyone out there even appraoching their level who I've been sleeping on? Anyone? Even if not, who do you rate right now?

(an aside - Trim reminds me of Lil B a bit, the way he lets a dememnted persona emerge in the music) Been listening to a fw things in the Road Rap thread - can't say I'm exactly feeling K-Koke, though the Sneakbo cat story is possibly the greatest thing I've ever read.

Benny Bunter

The last UK MCs who blew me away were Trim and Durty Goodz -.

same here. Pretty much all the newer mcs I've heard since then have sounded too samey to me. like, I think P Money is technically and lyrically a very good MC but he doesn't have the same uniqueness of personality in his voice as the older generation of MCs like Wiley, D Double, Dizzee etc.

When he's on form I would say Wiley is still the best though.

edit: Just remembered the Funky MCs I like: Shantie, Topsee, Dream, Hot-S, even Depeo. They may not be as technically good as a lot of the top Grime MCs, but they make up for it with personality, charm, charisma and individuality, things that have been lacking in Grime for a while now. ie; they don't all sound the same.

Last edited:

muser

that last wiley vid is mentall!! hope that gets put out somewhere. been rinsing sneakbo's mixtape recently from road rap thread,

DannyL

Wild Horses
Cheers for those links, the Wiley vids are sick. I've never really listened to him much beyond the odd few tracks but yeah, those clips are lethal.

The Sneakbo track is nice but lyrically, I think it's pretty weak - they seem to be reaching for the most obvious rhymes possible. Felt the same about the K Koke clips posted in the other thread, though I found one on line which was a bit better. I don't know - With US hip hop, there's a tradition of lyrical dexterity, which seems to be totally absent with regards to all but the better UK MCs. I find it almost surprising that this is missing because firstly, as it seems so obvious to me that (for instance) what Wiley is doing in those clips above takes things to the next level. Secondly, you can hear the dexterity and personality with the old UK reggae MCs, so why have these guys dropped the ball?

DannyL

Wild Horses
I guess this is me showing my ignorance of the music to a degree though - seems like it's got different starting points, trying to do something different, though I'm not sure I get what exactly. I hate it when I start sounding all "oh back in my day".

I think technically Fix Dot'm is probably the best out of the road rap thing.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4KnRvIY_-bk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There are loads of good fresh MCs out there at the moment I think, I'll try and post some more stuff later.

D Double E remains the best British MC for me though, always will

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
How can it be anyone but SkibaDee?

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/JJjhchMz7Tw?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/JJjhchMz7Tw?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/goDyd-fV2OA?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/goDyd-fV2OA?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

*lightah* :D

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
you can hear the dexterity and personality with the old UK reggae MCs, so why have these guys dropped the ball?

It's that trap music thing. That whole "I'm a gangster, not a rapper" shtick. The less thought and effort you put into your music implies that it is only a side hustle to your main hustle of selling coke or whatever. Made popular by Young Jeezy, Gucci Mane, and similar artists from that whole wave of rappers out of the South. I imagine these guys have "dropped the ball" because they are inspired by that style.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
he's obviously talented but the last few tunes i've heard by goodz have been really boring so i've stopped bothering. anyone link me otherwise?

DannyL

Wild Horses
(As an aside, I think Gucci can rap. Not in a Kool G Rap kinda way but he's got some great bars in almost every song I've heard by him - and tons of personality as well. If UK MCs were imitating him, I think I'd be feeling it more. I get what you mean though).

Last edited:

luka

k koke is obviouisly the most technically advanced road rap guy. its stupid to argue otherwise. im not arguing hes the most likeable. the only one close is malik from up north and thats a different genereation. old school uk hiphop guy. but sickboy is right with what he says. being shit is part of the point. sneakbo is deep tho. i think slakk dislikes th white ones on principle which is fair enuff. i wouldnt rap even if i was good, cos i am white, i dont think its appropriate, but thats a side issue.
my heros are
navigator
det
ragga twins
remadee
5-o
koe gee
yankee
skiba
shabba d
fearless
stevie hypeer (rip)
moose
gq
preshus
bushkin
mighty mo
rodney p
taipanic
mc d
demon boyz
shark major
creed
psg
stormin
hyper
d double
kano
scoobee
doogz
titch
trim
wiley
gods gift
riko

gonna contine this in a sec, gotta do something....

luka

asher senator
rebel mc
smily culture
junior dangereous
tippa irie
krispy 3
daddy freddy
ty
giggs
silver bullet
k koke
sneakbo
youngstar
fix dot'm
margs
skinnnyman
tempz
chronik
bruza
all-in-one
skepta
jme
frisco
strider
chippy
dirty dangerous
top cat
general levy

luka

macka b
glamma kid
mc neat
peter king
kamanchi sly
krept and konan
rootz
blade
overlord x
roots manuva
dizzee (this is maybe the right answer, realistically, although im tempted to say top cat, or wiley for the new lvel of realness he brought to it. heartless would be right up there too for sheer inspiration)
demon
rsg's
kalashnekoff
pyrelli
sway
big nastee
knightz of da round table

luka

viper
b-live
jamakabi (i likd him, not many other did tho)
fearless
ic3 (bit too much like dett tho)
mc mc
ghetto (love him or hat him you have to say he don a lot. my nine works like my mind works)
double s i think is underrated i like that guy, the rest of marvell too but him in particular
jookie mondo
asher d
romeo
no lay
kie
lethal b
neeko
but not ossie thanks very much
discarda (nah, not really)
kamanchi sly aka unknown mc, actually i dont lik hijack for the mcs but we'll include them anyhow
ckp
tek
dt
munchee
i just remmbered somone really important then instantly firgot him again.