Demo on Saturday

john eden

male pale and stale
I am going, as are the other two members of my family unit.

I'm leafletting my workplace tomorrow morning as well. Righteous!

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'm going! I think all the occupations are going off down Oxford Street so hat's wgere the trouble will be. Avoid/attend as you wish.

crackerjack

so does anyone know any good places to wtach the football in the vicinity of the march?

(apologies for going off-tone)

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think that pretty much everyone I know is going. Not me though, I'll be fighting back against The Man in my own idiosyncratic way by standing outside Pret a Manger in Maidstone and counting people going in.

sufi

lala
tomorrow's front pages - 'the inevitable aftermath'
guardian blog said:
10.42pm: The Mail on Sunday's front page focuses on the damage done to the Ritz Hotel, while the Sunday Mirror concentrate on the earlier, peaceful aspect of the march. The Sunday Times and Sunday Telegraph also focus on the violence. The Independent on Sunday have a clever front page questioning the media's focus on 'the inevitable aftermath', while the Observer leads on the march and rally.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
Pardon my ignorant colonialism, but I checked the BBC website earlier today to follow up on the whole commotion, and couldn't find any reference to it.

Is this to be expected? As a non-englishman I automatically head to the BBC to find out information about the ewe kay, and frankly was a little disappointed to find no mention of what sounds like a rather important event.

(nb; it's now showing up in the politics section, still).

john eden

male pale and stale
What sort of follow up were you expecting? In terms of politics or news coverage?

Plenty of the latter now I think... all wrong though. ;)

IdleRich

IdleRich
My friend who is also foreign and sees the bbc as a good source of information was saying yesterday how surprised she was by the lack of coverage on the website.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
There was a great live interview on the BBC with one of their guys from Trafalgar Square about 7.30 in the evening which was hijacked by a couple of kids going 'GOVERNMENT PROPAGANDA!' and coughing 'horseshit' alot. It was very funny. I doubt it's been archived.

sufi

lala
Have you been causing trouble again, Sufi?
as much as possible!
actually the atmosphere of the day felt really cheerful and not threatening, no kettling, minimal police violence, which just goes to show who are the really experts on rioting
5562573486_37544f77c5_z.jpg

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I suspect I'm preaching to the converted here, but the way UK Uncut have been treated has been pretty shit, hasn't it? (By both the police and some of the media).

crackerjack

I suspect I'm preaching to the converted here, but the way UK Uncut have been treated has been pretty shit, hasn't it? (By both the police and some of the media).

Yes. Some of it is justified - Fortnum & Mason seems to have been a misjudged target (though I'm certainly no tax lawyer) and having a spokeswoman justify with reference to the super-rich and Royal Family is superdumb. I'm also not convinced of the wisdom of staging a protest on that day so near the park.

But people are now lumping them in with the Black Bloc and – worse! – the SWP. They deserve better than that.

edit: Johann Hari has just tweeted this:
Daily Mail has had to take down their libellous smear piece about @ukuncut blaming them 4 violence of others. 1st step in correcting record
Did anyone see the Mail piece?