Lovebox Festival

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Anyone been tot his before? Interested in hearing about the vibe, cos the UK festivals I've been to before have frequently been much less friendly than the ones I've been to abroad - lots of tiresome hipsters and beer-fuelled testoterony, you know the drill.

Hoping this will be different....

wise

bare BARE BONES
don't fancy your chances, it's sure to be overflowing in hipsters, not that i've actually been of course

crackerjack

There's no definition of hipster I'd recognise that would attach itself to a Groove Armada festival. I've been a few times (last year got a freebie for the Grace Jones show cos I live near the park) and general impression is that it's relatively posh, more south and west London than east. Quite a big gay and female crowd, though, so not much "beer-fuelled testosterony" going on, certainly compared to somewhere like Wireless.

Friendly enough, but far from wild. Pretty thorough drug searches on entrance (pockets, fags etc). Also, though I've never paid, it strikes me that VFM isn't that good - last year I think was £100 for the weekend, when there's only two music stages (the second pretty minor - think Chromeo headlined it last year) and quite a few DJ tents playing fairly interchangeable sounds. (One was actually charging £2 entrance last year, which seems a pisstake, even if they had done it out like some N'Orleans bordello).

My advice would be: do you want to see the acts playing the main stage? If not, don't go. If you want a Viccy Pk dance fest, you're better off at Field Day.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
There's no definition of hipster I'd recognise that would attach itself to a Groove Armada festival. I've been a few times (last year got a freebie for the Grace Jones show cos I live near the park) and general impression is that it's relatively posh, more south and west London than east. Quite a big gay and female crowd, though, so not much "beer-fuelled testosterony" going on, certainly compared to somewhere like Wireless.

Friendly enough, but far from wild. Pretty thorough drug searches on entrance (pockets, fags etc). Also, though I've never paid, it strikes me that VFM isn't that good - last year I think was £100 for the weekend, when there's only two music stages (the second pretty minor - think Chromeo headlined it last year) and quite a few DJ tents playing fairly interchangeable sounds. (One was actually charging £2 entrance last year, which seems a pisstake, even if they had done it out like some N'Orleans bordello).

My advice would be: do you want to see the acts playing the main stage? If not, don't go. If you want a Viccy Pk dance fest, you're better off at Field Day.

thanks - that's pretty thorough. I'm def going now, cos friends are...lots of good people playing over the three days, and I think it'll be okay value for money on that score (plus Snoop doing Doggystyle, whihc can't be bad...ok, it could be a disaster).

"big gay and female crowd" - that suits just fine.

true re groove Armada. That Mutya Buena single is the only reason I can tolerate their existence, apart from this. Not that not being a hipster is a bad thing, but, anyway.

I heard Field Day was a horror show (overcrowded, shit sound, lack of WCs etc), but got a lot better last year

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
true re groove Armada. That Mutya Buena single is the only reason I can tolerate their existence, apart from this. Not that not being a hipster is a bad thing, but, anyway.

I spent Xmas one year at Groove Armada's big house in Ibiza, sitting round the pool, drinking champagne.

They weren't there and we sneaked in :)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
My friend once invited me to a Groove Armada party in Toulouse or thereabouts that sounds similar. Couldn't go cos she told me, er, the day before :slanted:

been listenign to the Mutya single on repeat - it's brilliant. She should od more sassed-up stuff like it, but probably not using the label 'sassed-up'.

crackerjack

I heard Field Day was a horror show (overcrowded, shit sound, lack of WCs etc), but got a lot better last year

Year 1 sold out so they expanded ticket nos w/o expanding facilities. I went in to see Justice, spent half an hour queuing for a beer, and left (without beer).

Year 2 the weather was horrendous. They did actually have enough bars and bogs, but the latter were badly placed, so people were queuing for ages at one set while another stood empty. Or so I was told by one of the organisers, who's an old mate. Saw him few weeks ago and he said it's going brilliantly now and the early birds were all but sold out