Record Store Day

gumdrops

if shops like black market or SOTU were doing something to do with RCD i would be much more interested. but i like it anyway. im glad its there. even if the very fact its there and so important now just confirms the way theyre all headed.

connect_icut

I must say I agree with the "you'll miss them when they're gone" statement. I don't think record shops will be a round forever. And I don't really think RSD is "important", I just enjoy it a lot - maybe because the shops in my town (Vancouver) tend to make a bit of an effort.

Having said all that, I have discovered a practical reason for the continued existence of record shops: special orders. From my point of view (and this may just be a Canadian thing) it's a usually bit faster and always waaay cheaper to special order stuff from a shop than it is to mail order it (no postage and packing charges!) Helps that I live two minutes walk from a place that's very good with doing orders (Red Cat).

connect_icut

Noticed that one of those pictures is of Cellophane Square in Seattle. As I remember it, said shop was a crappy used CD hole-in-the-wall. It's worth noting that Seattle still has about half-a-dozen astonishingly well-stocked record shops. I honestly don't know how they do it. The contrast with Vancouver, just over the border, is astonishing. I guess the point I'm trying to make, though, is that there are ways for record shops to (at least try to) survive, if they're genuinely providing a worthwhile service and - I guess - if they can find ways to adapt (e.g. downsizing, concentrating on special orders...)

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Having said all that, I have discovered a practical reason for the continued existence of record shops: special orders. From my point of view (and this may just be a Canadian thing) it's a usually bit faster and always waaay cheaper to special order stuff from a shop than it is to mail order it (no postage and packing charges!) Helps that I live two minutes walk from a place that's very good with doing orders (Red Cat).

I also live in Canada, and I've found that since the exchange rate became more manageable it's actually cheaper for me to order from the UK rather than special order from a store here. It turns out that a lot of the time the sale price and the postage of the record in pounds ends up being less when converted to Canadian dollars than you'd pay for it in a store here (especially after tax). I live in Toronto though, so maybe this has to do with lesser postage costs.

Leo

i know someone in portland, oregon (in the pacific northwest of the U.S., south of seattle) who says that amazingly, new record stores actually continue to pop up from time to time. he says there are so many record stores that it's almost a bit ridiculous, certainly more per capita than any other U.S. city he knows. maybe retail rents are really cheap, and all the portlandia hipsters need a constant supply of new indie releases and vintage vinyl.

connect_icut

I also live in Canada, and I've found that since the exchange rate became more manageable it's actually cheaper for me to order from the UK rather than special order from a store here. It turns out that a lot of the time the sale price and the postage of the record in pounds ends up being less when converted to Canadian dollars than you'd pay for it in a store here (especially after tax). I live in Toronto though, so maybe this has to do with lesser postage costs.

Also, it might depend on what you're buying. If you're primarily buying European 12" singles then it probably is cheaper to get them from the source. The mark-up on those ends up being pretty hefty. I've seen stores in Vancouver charging $27 for grime and dubstep white labels!

i know someone in portland, oregon (in the pacific northwest of the U.S., south of seattle) who says that amazingly, new record stores actually continue to pop up from time to time. he says there are so many record stores that it's almost a bit ridiculous, certainly more per capita than any other U.S. city he knows. maybe retail rents are really cheap, and all the portlandia hipsters need a constant supply of new indie releases and vintage vinyl.

Yes, Portland has great record stores too. Haven't been there in a few years, so it's nice to know things are still going strong. Let's face it, though, if anywhere on earth is still going to be able to support record stores, it's Portland. And Austin, probably.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
Yeah, there's a bit going on in Dorkland.

Incidentally, we have 3 record shoppes, out of a city of 1.X million - isn't half bad.

grave

if shops like black market or SOTU were doing something to do with RCD i would be much more interested. but i like it anyway. im glad its there. even if the very fact its there and so important now just confirms the way theyre all headed.

They are. Osunlade, Karizma, Cooly G and a few others are dj'ing instore.

BareBones

wheezy
just had an mailout from SOTU, apparently they're gonna be stocking:

Owiny Sigoma Band –Wires (Original & THEO PARRISH REMIX) [Brownswood Recordings]
Gil Scott-Heron - It's Your World [Soul Brother] 12"
Jimi Hendrix / Lightnin’ Rod – Doriella Du Fontaine [Celluloid]
Floating Points - Sais (dub) [Eglo]
Arthur Russell – World Of Echo –[Rough Trade]
Bibio / Clark – Willenhall/Baskerville Grinch [Warp]
Toddla T – Cherry Picking feat Roisin Murphy [Ninja Tune]
Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie XX – We’re New Here (2xLP & 2xCD & Photos Boxset) [XL]
Panda Bear - Tomboy LP & T-shirt Bundle [Paw Tracks]
Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma Alt Takes 12"
MF Doom Operation Doomsday -Deluxe Box Set! [Metal Face Records] Two-disc set, featuring a 32-page lyric book and a second disc with alternate versions, b-sides and instrumentals, packaged in a 7 x 8 throwback tin lunch box!
Various artists – Local Customs: Pressed At Boddie (Numero Group) Ohio soul compilation 2xLP
Various artists – Local Customs: Pressed At Boddie (Numero Group) Ohio soul compilation CD
Toots & The Maytals - Do The Reggay - 7" Numbered Heavyweight [UMC]
Jamie Woon - Lady Luck - Limited Numbered Pic Disc 7" [Polydor]
Save The Music 12” No.1 - SHAWN LEE EXCLUSIVES – 12” [Ubiquity]
Save The Music 12” No.2 - GROOVE MERCHANT EXCLUSIVES – 12” [Ubiquity]
Save The Music 12” No.3 - BTS EXCLUSIVES – 12” [Ubiquity]
Atmosphere ft Aesop Rock, Evidence from Dilated Peoples, Brother Ali produced by Jake One and more (Picture Disc 12") (Rhymesayers)
Gold Panda - Marriage Remix
Dennis Coffey- Ubiquitous 7" [Strut]
Save The Music 12” No.2 - GROOVE MERCHANT EXCLUSIVES – 12” [Ubiquity]
Save The Music – CD Compilation [Ubiquity]
Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar 7”

SHIT i'd love the World of Echo and Operation Doomsday sets. Sadly i'm totally broke.

Where is the Karizma instore??

4linehaiku

Repetitive
I was in Edinburgh last year and had no problem getting the records I wanted, but I'm not sure what it'll be like in London. You reckon there'll be nutters queuing at 8am to get copies of the limited stuff? I'd quite like a few things which are 150/200 copies only.

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket

I've also found that and I live in the wilds of eastern Canada. Of course, house and techno are so fringe out this way that the people who own/work in the record shops around here glare down long noses at my requests and then double the mark-up.