Any Wesley Willis afficionados in here?

Noah Baby Food

Just wondered, coz I've loved this guy (R.I.P.) since I first stumbled across the video for "Alanis Morrissette" on MTV late at night about 7 years ago. Just saw the documentary about him, "Daddy Of Rock'n'Roll", the other day and it's brilliant. Enlightening and very inspiring stuff about a guy who had the odds stacked against him from birth who managed to rock it on his own terms. and yeah, i know it all sounds the same but anyone who doesn't crack a shit-eating grin after hearing "Lick A Bulldog's Nasty Asshole" must be dead inside...

Probably telling my granny how to suck eggs here, but there's a little primer I wrote about him below, for those who haven't had the pleasure of Wes:

http://www.dotdashclub.tk

..go to the bottom magazine with The Holy Terror on the front, click and do ctrl-F "wesley"...if you can be arsed of course

DavidD

can't be stopped
Hahaha man Wesley Willis was my shit. He used to shop at dr. wax on berwyn all the time. A friend of mine was headbutted by him at a concert once, too. He has some inspired moments; the best thing about his music is playing it for someone for the first time. Sometimes people's reactions to it make me a bit uncomfortable though.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
DavidD said:
Sometimes people's reactions to it make me a bit uncomfortable though.

How so?

(full disclosure: I've never heard any of his music, and the only time I've heard of him was in a magazine article that I can only vaguely remember now)

DavidD

can't be stopped
Well, it was sometimes a "he's funny because he's dumb!" thing, i suppose. Laughing at him rather than with him sort of thing. Most people i knew who were really big fans didn't approach it this way, but some people seemed a bit patronizing.

kingofcars

i think there's something exploitative and patronizing in most people's appreciation of him. in general it creeps me out.
it was sad when he passed away, tho. apparently he was really something special to see perform live.