arabic music

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i've been listening to quite a bit of stuff that falls within this very loose category of late. i say very loose because i know there are all sorts of different styles practised withing the middle east, but mainly i've been checking for quite a bit of shaabi (hesham abbass, hakim, and on a more traditional tip, nas al ghiwanne - great live outfit, incidentally if you get the chance to see them) and rai (have been LOVING yah rayi, the latest album by khaled. so all tips welcome, but i wouldn't mind being seriously taken to school by someone who actually knows what they're on about because i'm pretty much totally clueless.

Melmoth

Bruxist
Cheb Khaled is great - 'Treacherous rai, you made me lose my ways, you made me lose my home'

Also Cheikha Remitti - The Queen of Rai

Immryr

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

IdleRich

IdleRich
That Marjan Vahdat is lovely cheers for that.
Reminds me somewhat of this, in feel if not actual sonics (although it's Armenian)