Chase is Better Than the Catch

Leo

Interesting "Epiphanies" column in May issue of The Wire by UbuWeb/WFMU's Kenny G.

http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/6445/

Epiphanies: Kenneth Goldsmith

Since Napster launched a global filesharing frenzy, the hunt itself has become more thrilling than finding recorded treasures, argues UbuWeb founder Kenneth Goldsmith

Epiphany No 1: While I could discuss any number of musical epiphanies I’ve personally experienced over the past half a century, all of them would pale in comparison to the epiphany of seeing Napster for the first time. Although prior to Napster I had been a member of several file sharing communities, the sheer scope, variety and seeming endlessness of Napster was mind-boggling: you never knew what you were going to find and how much of it was going to be there. It was as if every record store, fleamarket and charity shop in the world had been connected by a searchable database and had flung their doors open, begging you to walk away with as much as you could carry for free. But it was even better, because the supply never exhausted; the coolest record you’ve ever dug up could now be shared with all your friends. Of course, this has been exacerbated many times over with the advent of torrents and MP3 blogs.

Epiphany No 2: One of the first things that struck me about Napster was how damn impure (read: eclectic) people’s tastes were. While browsing another user’s files, I was stunned to find John Cage MP3s alphabetically snuggled up next to, say, Mariah Carey files in the same directory. Everyone has guilty pleasures; however, never before had they been so exposed – and celebrated – so publicly. While such impure impulses have always existed in the avant garde, they’ve pretty much remained hidden. For instance, on UbuWeb we host a compilation of the ultra-modernist conductor and musicologist Nicholas Slonimsky’s early recordings of Varèse, Ives and Ruggles. But we also host a recording of Slonimsky croaking out bawdy tunes about constipated children – “Opens up the BOW-ELS” – on an out-of-tune piano. He sounds absolutely smashed. The Slonimsky recording is part of The 365 Days Project, which is a collection of crazy stuff: celebrity, children, demonstration, indigenous, Industrial, outsider, song-poem, spoken, ventriloquism, etc; snuggled in with the crazy Mormons, twangy garage bands and singing stewardesses is one of the fathers of the avant garde, Nicholas Slonimsky.

Epiphany No 3: File sharing is non-contextual. The cohesive vision of an album has been ditched in favour of the single or the playlist. Many people getting music online have no idea where something came from, nor do they care. For instance, we find that many people downloading MP3s from UbuWeb have no interest in the historical context; instead, the site is seen as a vast resource of ‘cool’ and ‘weird’ sounds to remix or throw into dance mixes. It has been reported that samples from Bruce Nauman’s mantric chant, “Get Out Of My Mind, Get Out Of This Room”, from his Raw Materials compilation on Ubu, has recently been mixed with beats and is somewhat the rage with unwitting partygoers on dancefloors in São Paulo.

Epiphany No 4: As a result, just like you, I stopped buying music. I used to be a record junkie. For years, I spent most of my free time hunting down discs in dusty corners of the world. I’ll never forget my honeymoon in Amsterdam in 1989. I had to purchase an extra suitcase so that I could bring home dozens of Dutch reissues of Stax and Atco soul LPs that were completely unavailable in New York. While I travel extensively these days, I haven’t set foot in a record store in well over a decade. Why bother, when the best record store sits on my laptop in my hotel room? A few nights ago at home, after putting the kids to bed, I was parked in front of the computer sipping bourbon. My wife asked me what I was doing. I told her I was going record shopping. As I glanced at my screen, ten ultra-rare discs I would have killed for way back when were streaming down to my living room for free.

Epiphany No 5: I don’t know about you, but I’ve lost my object fetish. But then again, I was never the type of collector who bought records for their cool covers: the music had to be great. Still, I have 10,000 vinyls gathering dust in my hallway and as many CDs in racks on my wall. I don’t use them. To me, if music can’t be shared, I’m not interested in it. However, once I digitize these objects and they enter into the file sharing ecosystem, they become alive for me again. As many dead LPs and CDs as I have, I’ve got many times that number of discs sitting on a dozen hard drives, flying up and down my network.

Epiphany No 6: It’s all about quantity. Just like you, I’m drowning in my riches. I’ve got more music on my drives than I’ll ever be able to listen to in the next ten lifetimes. As a matter of fact, records that I’ve been craving for years (such as the complete recordings of Jean Cocteau, which we just posted on Ubu) are languishing unlistened-to. I’ll never get to them either, because I’m more interested in the hunt than I am in the prey. The minute I get something, I just crave more. And so something has really changed – and I think this is the real epiphany: the ways in which culture is distributed have become profoundly more intriguing than the cultural artifact itself. What we’ve experienced is an inversion of consumption, one in which we’ve come to prefer the acts of acquisition over that which we are acquiring, the bottles over the wine.

Kenneth Goldsmith is the founder of UbuWeb.

dave quam

I agree with a lot of what he says, but I think he's too passive. I still need to interact with music and art, not just download it on my couch.

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
Interesting "Epiphanies" column in May issue of The Wire by UbuWeb/WFMU's Kenny G.

http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/6445/

Epiphanies: Kenneth Goldsmith

Since Napster launched a global filesharing frenzy, the hunt itself has become more thrilling than finding recorded treasures, argues UbuWeb founder Kenneth Goldsmith

Epiphany No 1: While I could discuss any number of musical epiphanies I’ve personally experienced over the past half a century, all of them would pale in comparison to the epiphany of seeing Napster for the first time. Although prior to Napster I had been a member of several file sharing communities, the sheer scope, variety and seeming endlessness of Napster was mind-boggling: you never knew what you were going to find and how much of it was going to be there. It was as if every record store, fleamarket and charity shop in the world had been connected by a searchable database and had flung their doors open, begging you to walk away with as much as you could carry for free. But it was even better, because the supply never exhausted; the coolest record you’ve ever dug up could now be shared with all your friends. Of course, this has been exacerbated many times over with the advent of torrents and MP3 blogs.

Epiphany No 2: One of the first things that struck me about Napster was how damn impure (read: eclectic) people’s tastes were. While browsing another user’s files, I was stunned to find John Cage MP3s alphabetically snuggled up next to, say, Mariah Carey files in the same directory. Everyone has guilty pleasures; however, never before had they been so exposed – and celebrated – so publicly. While such impure impulses have always existed in the avant garde, they’ve pretty much remained hidden. For instance, on UbuWeb we host a compilation of the ultra-modernist conductor and musicologist Nicholas Slonimsky’s early recordings of Varèse, Ives and Ruggles. But we also host a recording of Slonimsky croaking out bawdy tunes about constipated children – “Opens up the BOW-ELS” – on an out-of-tune piano. He sounds absolutely smashed. The Slonimsky recording is part of The 365 Days Project, which is a collection of crazy stuff: celebrity, children, demonstration, indigenous, Industrial, outsider, song-poem, spoken, ventriloquism, etc; snuggled in with the crazy Mormons, twangy garage bands and singing stewardesses is one of the fathers of the avant garde, Nicholas Slonimsky.

Epiphany No 3: File sharing is non-contextual. The cohesive vision of an album has been ditched in favour of the single or the playlist. Many people getting music online have no idea where something came from, nor do they care. For instance, we find that many people downloading MP3s from UbuWeb have no interest in the historical context; instead, the site is seen as a vast resource of ‘cool’ and ‘weird’ sounds to remix or throw into dance mixes. It has been reported that samples from Bruce Nauman’s mantric chant, “Get Out Of My Mind, Get Out Of This Room”, from his Raw Materials compilation on Ubu, has recently been mixed with beats and is somewhat the rage with unwitting partygoers on dancefloors in São Paulo.

Epiphany No 4: As a result, just like you, I stopped buying music. I used to be a record junkie. For years, I spent most of my free time hunting down discs in dusty corners of the world. I’ll never forget my honeymoon in Amsterdam in 1989. I had to purchase an extra suitcase so that I could bring home dozens of Dutch reissues of Stax and Atco soul LPs that were completely unavailable in New York. While I travel extensively these days, I haven’t set foot in a record store in well over a decade. Why bother, when the best record store sits on my laptop in my hotel room? A few nights ago at home, after putting the kids to bed, I was parked in front of the computer sipping bourbon. My wife asked me what I was doing. I told her I was going record shopping. As I glanced at my screen, ten ultra-rare discs I would have killed for way back when were streaming down to my living room for free.

Epiphany No 5: I don’t know about you, but I’ve lost my object fetish. But then again, I was never the type of collector who bought records for their cool covers: the music had to be great. Still, I have 10,000 vinyls gathering dust in my hallway and as many CDs in racks on my wall. I don’t use them. To me, if music can’t be shared, I’m not interested in it. However, once I digitize these objects and they enter into the file sharing ecosystem, they become alive for me again. As many dead LPs and CDs as I have, I’ve got many times that number of discs sitting on a dozen hard drives, flying up and down my network.

Epiphany No 6: It’s all about quantity. Just like you, I’m drowning in my riches. I’ve got more music on my drives than I’ll ever be able to listen to in the next ten lifetimes. As a matter of fact, records that I’ve been craving for years (such as the complete recordings of Jean Cocteau, which we just posted on Ubu) are languishing unlistened-to. I’ll never get to them either, because I’m more interested in the hunt than I am in the prey. The minute I get something, I just crave more. And so something has really changed – and I think this is the real epiphany: the ways in which culture is distributed have become profoundly more intriguing than the cultural artifact itself. What we’ve experienced is an inversion of consumption, one in which we’ve come to prefer the acts of acquisition over that which we are acquiring, the bottles over the wine.

Kenneth Goldsmith is the founder of UbuWeb.

ehhh

he's more wrong than he is right, i think...

i.e. actually most people's files ARE really predictable... yeah yeah yeah, Mariah Carey, John Cage... that's an exception to the rule... most people stay in their lane, even on napster or whatever...

and while his " I DON"T NEED TO BUY MUSIC" thing may indeed be true in 5-10-15 years, presently there is ALOT of stuff that does not exist digitally... speaking as someone who does a blog that focuses fairly heavily on stuff that has never been repressed (old quebecois music specifically), i can safely say there is tons of stuff out there that is not available online...

in the last month i can think of a couple of breakbeat funk 7"s i wanted and could not find ANYWHERE online... and my friend who was looking for me is a whiz on the torrents, soulseek, etc...

so, ultimately, at this stage in the game if you are a serious (as dude above said, 10,000 pieces) record person, you can be a giver or a taker... the givers are out looking for the lost gems and shining a light on them.. the takers are loafing around their hotel room downloading the fruits of other people's labor...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Interesting to see someone saying that the chase is better than the catch when he's taliking about files. It's something that you normally hear vinyl purists say and the assumption has always been that in downloading stuff instead of physically going out and looking for it you're actually not experiencing the chase. It's unusual to hear that argument turned on its head - I guess vinyl collectors who have glanced at and dismissed downloads have never got properly into all the different methods and places to search for stuff online although I'm sure they would argue that if they had it still wouldn't take the place of actually searching through an abandoned warehouse in Africa or something similar.

Leo

i agree with him regarding how my level of excitement used to last much longer back when digital didn't exist. i'd read about a record and get excited about it, i'd search the record racks in stores for it, i'd anticipate buying it, i'd be happy to find/buy it, and then have it front and center in the record pile by the turntable because i played it over and over.

now i read about something good, do a google search, download the file, listen to it once, think "that's pretty good", and then oftentimes move on to the next tune i want. all within the span of five minutes.

when it's all too easy, it's easy to get jaded.

IdleRich

IdleRich
But isn't he arguing the opposite? In other words, it's not as easy as some people think and he's become so addicted to the thrill of the (expanded) search that he has less enjoyment in actually listening? Much as I know lots of vinylheads who get a greater thrill from finding a rarity than they do from listening to it. It seems like an argument which is deliberately constructed to undermine those who say that everything is too easy now.

nochexxx

harco pronting
"Epiphany No 2: One of the first things that struck me about Napster was how damn impure (read: eclectic) people’s tastes were"

i don't believe peoples mp3 collections reflect their music taste at all. free music means you tend to accumulate masses of tunes you wouldn't otherwise be bothered with, quite often by mistake in fact.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Epiphany No 6: As a matter of fact, records that I’ve been craving for years (such as the complete recordings of Jean Cocteau, which we just posted on Ubu) are languishing unlistened-to. I’ll never get to them either, because I’m more interested in the hunt than I am in the prey. "

i dig the hunt as much as the next, but have the decency to eat your kill afterwards.

Alfons

Way of the future
Maybe my tastes are just near the surface or whatever but in terms of mp3's I haven't had a real chase in years.

Between pay sites like Amazon, itunes and the more underground ones like boomkat, beatport and juno, access to torrents (the open ones and a few specialized private ones) and then blogs, youtube, google and im-ing with mates there hasn't really been many tunes I haven't been able to locate in the last 2-3 year. (that is to say released actually available stuff).

So there really is no chase afaic. Its almost getting to the same point with vinyl as well, with discogs and ebay. Off course you need the money there though.

This article http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/weekly_article/soulseeking.htm describes this thing far more accurately in my mind.

wise

bare BARE BONES
Grime white labels are the only area still not well documented. There's loads of stuff that's not on discogs or that never seems to be for sale and I've yet to find a good forum for high quality rips

gumdrops

grime is tiny though. and you could say the same for any micro scene around the world. but yeah, its not as easy to find as you think. same for a lot of juke actually - ive had to buy a few mix cds recently that i couldnt find online (or if they were on itunes, id rather pay for a hard copy than 9.99 for mp3s - actually i wish there were more juke mix cds to buy).

but this article, while ringing true in a lot of areas, is also just the type of thing i hate to see now. great, you like free music, you dont care about records anymore, good for you. well done! dont think youre special though - most of the world thinks like you. the other thing i hate is how proud people are of their downloading. i get in a way that its a way to beat the people that have charged you stupid prices for years and for crappy music too. but at the end of the day, people should be able to get paid for what they make, thats all i care about.

the last paragraph of the article is the most interesting part of the whole article. the realisations in the rest of the piece seem a bit dated. weve read them all before.

Last edited:

wise

bare BARE BONES
but at the end of the day, people should be able to get paid for what they make, thats all i care about.

That's fine as an idea, but if those people don't make their work available to buy what choice do you have?

gumdrops

in that case you should hunt them down on twitter or facebook or use a private detective and paypal them a realistic sum for remuneration.