Africa Hitech - 93 Million Miles LP

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Africa Hitech are wicked, looking forward to this one.

Shame 'caveman style' isn't on it. Lots of people playing it so hopefully its coming out.
Sound big in the club.

rrrivero

so interesting that a Warp would put a whole album up for stream on release, a interesting idea.
Have been seeing more of this lately. Examples that come to mind are the Jamie XX - Gil-Scott Heron collaboration and Lil Silva's Patience EP

gumdrops

its ok. a couple of standouts. and what seemed to be boring techno. and some weedy big dada-type dancehall (i think, it was on in the background). overall, nicely produced stuff but nothing that really seemed that novel. whats his/their own stamp on this stuff? i dont see the relation between the name and the music either.

Last edited:

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
there are some outright amazing tracks on this album, that synthline in footstep reminds me so much of model 500 like detroit techno. almost nostalgic

rwtt

really liking this after the first couple of listens, loved last year's EP as well. a really distinctive, recognisable sound i reckon, and a lot of fun.

grizzleb

This album I've been looking forward to as much as any for the last while, upon getting it I'm not that enamoured with it. Few good tracks and sounds really well produced as usual but nothing seems to hit the vertiginous heights Pritchard was reaching a few years ago. Also, where are some of the best unreleased tunes I've heard him do? Where is 'Scar', 'Lion' and some other belters that appear on his Viral Radio mix from a year or so back?...Any one are better than the best tracks on here. Caveman Smack too. Is that a case of Warp choosing the more obviously 'anthemic' or 'street/grimey' tracks? I dunno, I'm going to have to give it more listens but I'm a bit dissapointed. Maybe I've just not given it enough attention yet (or heard them on a big system), or maybe my expectations were too much.

gumdrops

really distinctive, recognisable sound

what is it, cos i cant hear it? this might be the main prob with pritchard imo. no real linking aesthetic. tho im no expert on his work. i only know the last couple of things. loved elephant dub however.

Phaedo

I remember hearing Mark Pritchard mention that Lion was coming out on Warp... Was quite a long time ago though.

rwtt

what is it, cos i cant hear it? this might be the main prob with pritchard imo. no real linking aesthetic. tho im no expert on his work. i only know the last couple of things. loved elephant dub however.

there are a few signature sounds in there - some squarewavey bleepy stuff carried over from the How Does It Make You Feel EP, also the drumwork and the precision jungle/garagey basslines are pretty distinctive i reckon. i love the female speech synth stuff on the album too, i get a real sci-fi kick out of that. there's a track near the end which uses the same sound pallette as Pritchard's brilliant remix of Black Dog's "3/4 Heart". (it doesn't really fit on the Africa Hitech album IMHO, but again, it's recognisably his sound.)

"Our Luv" is my favourite track on the album so far:

agree about Elephant Dub, it's devastating! played it to a johnny-come-lately dubstepper mate who didn't recognise it as dubstep at all. :eek:

Client Eastwood

Not seen this all the way through but there's an interview here.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value=""><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
there are a few signature sounds in there - some squarewavey bleepy stuff carried over from the How Does It Make You Feel EP, also the drumwork and the precision jungle/garagey basslines are pretty distinctive i reckon. i love the female speech synth stuff on the album too, i get a real sci-fi kick out of that. there's a track near the end which uses the same sound pallette as Pritchard's brilliant remix of Black Dog's "3/4 Heart". (it doesn't really fit on the Africa Hitech album IMHO, but again, it's recognisably his sound.)

"Our Luv" is my favourite track on the album so far:

agree about Elephant Dub, it's devastating! played it to a johnny-come-lately dubstepper mate who didn't recognise it as dubstep at all. :eek:

i hear drexciya in this. this track is good yea, think anyway the second half of the album is the best part.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Really, really, really like Light The Way from this. Would be hard-pressed to say exactly why, it's just wormed its way right into my head.