just plain depressing

seahorsegenius

It's just me.
i'm intrested in hearing what the dissensus crowd's favorite downer songs are.

particularly i'm looking for something like nick drake's pink moon. so depressing it's frightening.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
try those!

prince bonnie willy "i see a darkness" (death for everyone, it's gonna come...)
syd barret - "the madcap laugh" (long gone, long long gone)
john lennon - "plastic ono band" (my mummy is dead, i just can't get over my head)
tim buckley - "starsailor" (come to me let me unfold you)
robert wyatt - "rock bottom" (alifib alifib alifib alifib)
joy division - "unknow pleasures" (she's lost control)
current 93 - "soft black star" (the empty street...)

Remember to buy a huge pack of Prozak before.

jenks

thread death
Cale's Music For A New Society - blisteringly grim and absolutely compulsively listenable

francesco

Minerva Estassi
Also Nico: "Marble index" "DesertShore" or "The End", all produced by John Cale. And if you can find it "Music to play in the dark 1 & 2" by Coil.
I always thought that "the Idiot" by Iggy Pop is a very act of depression of a record. Great.

owen

'gloomy sunday'! in associates or billie holiday versions, the very definition of depressing and frightening.
favourite wallowing song of late- 'don't get around much anymore' by the ink spots.

Also Nico: "Marble index" "DesertShore" or "The End"

oh my god yes.

Gerard

"If you're happy and you know it clap your hands"

I was thrown out of class aged 5 and heard this through the door. Makes me sad every time my wife and daughter sing it

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I'm quite enjoying 'lake' by Antony and the Johnsons at the moments...a lovely torch ballad (he sounds like Alison Moyet pretending to be Nina Simone)

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
So depressing I can't listen to it really - Section 25 - Always Now

Plastikman is pretty full on, that last album. Dark dark dark.

Early Nick Cave is some fabulously depressing stuff, especially Her to Eternity and The Firstborn is Dead, Mudhoney's "If I Think" is a great heroin tribute song. I love depressing music. Warm-depressing though, like those just listed, rather than cold-depressing, like Section 25.

D

droid

Someone has to mention Tom Waits here eventually, so it may as well be me...

'Dirt in the ground' and 'a little rain' from Bone Machine are probably two of his bleakest tunes. (and thats saying something)

"What does it matter ,
A dream of love or a dream of lies,
All gonna be in the same place when we die..

Spirit goes without knowing,
Your face or your name,
Wind through your bones,
is all that remains...."

Last edited by a moderator: