I Wayne - Can't Satisfy Her

Woebot

One for Stelfox this. This is HUGE dancehall tune that I assumed was:

a) Admiral Tibet era.
b) Sung by a woman.

Its neither, both bang-up-to-date and by a young man. It's a tragic (though perhaps a bit lurid) tale of a young girl who drifts into prostitution and (if I'm not misremembering the end) ends up catching AIDS. It's sung really plaintively, but without judgement.

Apparently there's a whole LP in the works by this guy.

mpc

wasteman
this tune has smashed up every dance i've been to this year.

(not really, but it always goes down well when i play it to myself at home).

DJ Lioness

This is quite old now, been battered to death. Good track none-the-less, you might enjoy Lava Ground and Rasta Tell Them All The While aswell. The LP/promo is doing the rounds, sounds like the final product is gonna be big.

Check out Jah Cure aswell. He's another of the 'new skool' conscious singers to vibes to.

adruu

This Is It
Had a spontaneous obsession with Living in Love last week...must have listened to tune about 50 times...

Eric

Mr Moraigero
I like the claps low in the mix on this one (minor detail). Does anyone know when the album will come?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
it's a cracker... gervase played it last night at catch and it niced up the place... er, umm... nicely! love it. i also adore living in love by i-wayne on the hard times rhythm, too, especially mixed into bushman's how can they say.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
yeah i love it, though it's a little overplayed for me now - not for any other reason than that i've overdone it!

gabriel

The Heatwave
stelfox said:
it's a cracker... gervase played it last night at catch and it niced up the place... er, umm...

indeed - people whistling, shouting and banging the walls/floor. pretty much always gets that reaction, even in shoreditch!

i wrote a pretty weird review of it for undercover magazine last year re: it almost condoning prostitution (a conclusion i reached cos the melancholic sound of i-wayne's voice implied a certain sympathy for the girl in the song) while at the same time making the case that many women's love lives verge verge on prositution-lite in that they demand money/material stuff in 'exchange' for sex (and to some extent condemning this). - most macka diamond tunes illustrate what i thought i-wayne was railing against here.

i subsequently decided that my initial understanding of the song was maybe not correct, largely cos i've never heard anyone else express anything like this - though gappy ranx from suncycle introduced it at heatwave in january by saying 'remember ladies - prositution is wrong!' - which i think is surely an oversimplification...

anyway, i ended up deciding to ignore all of that and just celebrate the fact that it's such a big, catchy tune and the dance lights up every time it's played...

other i-wayne stuff around
- lava ground (loyal soldiers 7" - lava ground riddim)
- sweet collie (can't remember the label)
- living in love aka rasta tell them all the while (gibbo/joe gibbs 7" - hard times riddim)

lots of hype around him at the moment, too much perhaps - has only done a handful of tunes which, although good, are also all fairly similar. could see myself, if not everyone else, getting a bit bored of his style after a while. we'll see!