how to wreck a nice beach

nomos

Administrator
yeah i love it. tompkins is a monster. predictable amazon brow-furrowing that instead of doing a dull technical history he's gone the SF route. but it's surreal as the story deserves - full of bizarre coincidence and strange machines. gorgeous design too.

did you get his mix from the book blog? http://howtowreckanicebeach.com/?p=187

Last edited:

luka

yes i found out about the book through the mix actually. im only up to stalin in th book but im enjoying it a lot. he was the best of the wire hip-hop reviewers but he didnt do it for very long. he is one of those people that are a terrible influence on other writers even though they are brilliant themselves.

CrowleyHead

yes i found out about the book through the mix actually. im only up to stalin in th book but im enjoying it a lot. he was the best of the wire hip-hop reviewers but he didnt do it for very long. he is one of those people that are a terrible influence on other writers even though they are brilliant themselves.

I'm going to check my Wire back issues, but if he's who I'd think he is, I'd have to disagree.

Then again, he's still better than the new guy who's not Noz.

luka

hes the one that writes under thee name 'dave tompkins' who was your favourite? they run through them very quickly.

CrowleyHead

Naaaah. When I started buying Wires, Dave Stelfox was the writer (Who was pretty shit, IMO)

I'm re-reading some of these issues reviews and the guy is just... He's not the one really. There are things about Noz that I don't like, but at least he's able to balance the idea that you don't HAVE to be this neo-classicist. I mean, the guy was complaining about the career of DJ Drama in one review... Noz is at least aware that rappers don't have to try to look smart to be smart.

luka

i like noz too and im glad thyve got him. i just thought tompkins was more fun. i know stelfox and he is my friend so im not going to say anything about that. for thee time he was writing about hiphop he genuinely loved it. thats all i will say in his defence. he didnt know as much about it as you do or even as much as i do but he did love it and approached it in a properely respectful way.

CrowleyHead

That's entirely fair. I can't lie and claim I know better, he did name some artists that I never heard before and therefore kept me open to new things. But at the same time, I just like the variety that Noz provides.