Moombah-ton/core/soul/shit

zhao

there are no accidents
surprised there is no thread on here (unless search fail on my part which wouldn't be the first time heh) about this post-bastardization post-mashup bastard post-"genre".

looking back of course it makes sense: outside of some party-hiphop tracks and rare left field disco cuts, US and Euro club-land was largely missing this sexy groovy slow burning tempo range (100-110 -- which i've posted about a few years back - and wasn't there someone else here was talking about 100 bpm bass music?). yet in almost every other party hot spot around the globe this tempo has always been used extensively: Cumbias/Salsa/Boogaloo/Dancehall/Reggaeton, Persian/Egyptian/Middle Eastern, Gypsy/Balkan/Russian, and of course countless African rhythms... so it seems to me that it was only a matter of time before something came to fill this void between hiphop and house -- cute story of its actual origin (Dave Nada and his little cousin's friends) is pretty much beside the point.

it is mostly a borrowed rhythm on which new producers are building with their geeky production tricks (what else is new LOL). and of course in the current bloggified, diploized, nu-rave midrange "posh-boys-make-turgid-beats" annoying party-club music environment we live in most of it is utterly forgettable, but maybe there are some gems with real inspiration and actual musical value beginning to emerge, and a handful of producers worth watching.

entire moombah sets can feel a bit vacuous unless it's one of the handful of above mentioned dj-producers - but still i would rather moombahton rather than impotent lifeless minimal-electro-tech-house ANY day of the week. i myself have padded my sets with a few tracks here and there, if only for purely transitional purposes.

how do you people feel about it then? i know the sound is around the UK and there is at least one moombahton focused event emerging in London...

Last edited:

trza

I used to track down every release by Sabo, but these Moombahton things are mostly just meh:

zhao

there are no accidents
I used to track down every release by Sabo, but these Moombahton things are mostly just meh:

just met him last week, didn't know his work before, but there are some really nice edits. for instance this one of Township Funk is really useful.

Last edited:

hint

party record with a siren
Who's making original material? i.e. not just sticking loops from already great tracks over a Moombah drum template?

zhao

there are no accidents
Who's making original material? i.e. not just sticking loops from already great tracks over a Moombah drum template?

i am not into it enough to be qualified for any definitive statements, but i suspect not (yet) many at all. but there is undoubtedly more originality and creativity happening within this "movement" (if it is such a thing at all) now than during the period of its inception (what? 1, 2, or at the most 3 years ago?): it was not much more than pitched down European Afro-House.

my point is that things are moving, developing, as we type. and this "style" may just develope into its own in the near future.

trza

According to an article on Spin's website this month, Nadastrom will release an "effort" to feature original tracks.
This fall, Nadastrom will also tour behind their El Baile Diabluma EP, their first effort to feature mostly original Moombahton tracks (i.e., only one remix). "The Diabluma is an Ecuadoran mythological creature that breaks into your living room during Carnivale," explains Nada. "It dances around causing mayhem until you bribe it with alcohol to leave." Whether it would so easily slip away from a Moombahton Massive, though, is yet to be determined.

If the music was more interesting it would be easier to listen to all the tracks and figure out if any were "original". So much of whats written about this stuff online is less than six months old, NPR has a great write up:

Anyway, more Sabo, this one is available from his soundcloud page:

hint

i am not into it enough to be qualified for any definitive statements, but i suspect not (yet) many at all. but there is undoubtedly more originality and creativity happening within this "movement" (if it is such a thing at all) now than during the period of its inception (what? 1, 2, or at the most 3 years ago?): it was not much more than pitched down European Afro-House.

my point is that things are moving, developing, as we type. and this "style" may just develope into its own in the near future.

Yeah - I'm genuinely interested. It's understandable for the first 6 months or so for a scene like this, but I would have expected someone to put down a riff and get someone to sing on top of it by now, or something.

Everything I've heard with the Moobahton tag has been a loop collage or whatever. Which has its place, of course... but still... it's a bit like Hip Hop never getting past the party break stage at the moment.

Tim F

Um. The scene is like 2 years old and has heaps of original tracks.

It's only blown up media-wise in the last 6 months due to Dave Nada's comp for Diplo's label (which is about two thirds original tracks).

hint

Um. The scene is like 2 years old and has heaps of original tracks.

It's only blown up media-wise in the last 6 months due to Dave Nada's comp for Diplo's label (which is about two thirds original tracks).

I know it's been around a while. But like I say, everything I've personally heard has been some kind of remix / party break affair.

Who's making the original tracks?

Tim F

Check stuff like Dillon Francis' "Mastablasta" and Munchi's "Hope".

Not original tracks but also more fully fleshed than just edits:

Releaserpm - Win Win (Nadastrom Remix)
Toddla T - Take It Back (Dillon Francis Remix)

There's heaps more in both categories but I'm focusing on the stuff I think is really great.

Also love Nadia O's "Taking Over The Dancefloor".

outraygeous

My mate has started to get into this but I cannot get it. Its sits in a BPM range that makes me pretty uncomfortable

I am not sure why. I think its because its hard to dance to, maybe, not sure. Seems like music you would dance to with a girl. Like samba or something. Im not sure of the correct genre.

philblackpool

gamelanstep
That's because it is X-D

Getting quite into this belatedly last year, but like so many things, it does get a bit predictable...

Honorary mention for the original Shabba "Dem Bow" riddim origin:
I really like this one from Poland:
And this...
And this, which totally split our lot when my pal John Tree found it:
And this:
That is all :)

dert

i've really liked all the threads you just bumped

does this count in terms of moombahton:
they're from Peru

philblackpool

gamelanstep
Thanks!

Too shuffly perhaps - all moombahton is on the same basic beat ("Dem Bow" by Shabba Ranks basically - Boom/Da Da/Da) - but interesting anyway :)

zhao

there are no accidents
With the exception of that Dutch dude who lives in Peru, there seems to not be very many interesting developments, most of it still being dumb one-note party soundtracks...

now these global bass hipsters are adding aggressive sounds and sub bass to Zouk/Ttarraxinha, and calling it, coined by the fake kuduro outfit Buraka 2 months ago - Zouk Bass :rolleyes: Might be difficult to tell apart for the uninitiated, because it's at the same tempo and uses similar beat patterns as Dembow, But i like it better than Moombahton because it's inherently more percussive.

zhao

there are no accidents
these sub "genres" :rolleyes: might or might not become important in themselves, but they are significant in the sense of African beat patterns re-entering the west, which has been so far completely dominated by the Afro-American dupple rhythm.