Bar dj-ing spots

IdleRich

IdleRich
Hey, I need to bring in a bit of extra money and I wanna get some easy, bar-type dj-ing slots, you know the kind of thing, where you play at a fairly quiet volume for a few hours to people having a drink and get paid fifty quid and some drinks or something with no pressure at all. I'm just wondering where are good bars or pubs to contact for that kind of thing, hopefully within easy reach of Hackney - eg Shoreditch, Stokey, Bethnal Green, Angel etc Any tips appreciated, cheers.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I did something in Cafe Prague a while back Rich, nice guys there. Dunno what the set up is there though cos I was doing it for someone else.

My mate does Sunday afternoons at pubs in South London which is always a good bet to ask for I reckon. Sunday afternoons I mean.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, can be nice those things I reckon, some beers, some money, a chance to play some stuff that isn't dancefloor - I'll try Prague, cheers.

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
I'd recommend approaching bars or pubs where you drink at least semi-regularly, or preferably know one of the staff. If you know the staff and clientele it's much easier to explain what you would play and why it will be great (or at least inoffensive, which is what a lot of bar managers are looking for, ultimately).

As Mister Sloane says, choosing less busy slots is the best route in - most venues will have Friday and Saturday night slots filled already. It's often a good tactic to ask what their quietest night is in terms of takings, and go for that. If you can get 10 or so mates (or Dissensians) to come along and buy 2/3 drinks each, that's an extra £100 quid+ in takings, of which you can reasonably claim £20 quid and/or drinks. If the manager and staff like what you do, you may get offered more prestigious slots and therefore more money.

No thoughts as to specific venues, but if you see that a place has just opened or changed hands then they'll often be looking for new DJs. Oh, and be prepared to play off CDs or your laptop - fewer and fewer venues have turntables these days, and those that do often don't maintain them very well.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Good tips there I think - I'm most interested in non-weekend nights anyway cos I've often got stuff then already. I've only got vinyl though so that does limit me a bit - probably should have said that at the start.
I feel quite diffident about approaching people though which is why I'd rather do it by email if possible. I know it doesn't get such good results but maybe if I ask enough places I can get a few slots.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Be interesting to see how you fare with email, I wouldn't have thought to do it that way, have you got links to sets you've done?

IdleRich

IdleRich
No. I know I should have, I'm rubbish with technology. And possibly at dj-ing but they don't need to know that...

STN

sou'wester
you could try the white hart in stoke newington or the Royal Sovereign in Clapton, both of which have vinyl decks, I think. I would be prepared to come and throw things at you if you performed in either of these venues.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Nice one, I will add both to my email list - I know the White Hart fairly well but somehow failed to notice the decks.

STN

sou'wester
they might be cd decks, in which case you may slap my face.

The Lion on Church Street might also be worth a go.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Actually got something going with the guys who own The Lion and The Three Crowns I think although my friend is sorting it out. We've certainly played once at each of those places and I think it's supposed to be regular.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Never been there but Royal Sovereign sounds like a good bet. Can't find any contact details but I reckon I might just go down there, seems I could play the right kind of stuff. Cheers.

wascal

Wild Horses
Other side of town but I had fun playing at Ginglich in Shepherds Bush a while back, not a bad place for a former public toilet lol

IdleRich

IdleRich
Gotta friend who used to play there - maybe still does - but it's a bit of a trek for me unless it's something special.