Creating / Mixing / Composing in 5.1 or 6.1

you

OK, thought about going to GearSlutz for this but hesitated incase it's too stupid a question to ask - I don't know because I dont have anything other than garageband yet.

I'm hoping to buy Ableton Live or Logic for music making purposes. One of my main objectives is to compose in 5.1 for 5.1 playback ( on a DVD through a surround sound system ).

I don't want to create in stereo and have a program 'upgrade' my music to a 5.1 I want to have complete control of all samples and their distribution between the 6 channels, absolute autonomy here is what I'm after. So at the left hand side of each track on my mixing screen rather than a stereo left/right dial I'd like a 5.1 stage set up that I can shunt my sound around in upon my whim.

I have a digital/optical connection from my iMac to a 5.1 digital amp - presume this would still work as I'm mixing.

Smug audiophiles - help a clueless dissensian out?!?!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Certainly for Logic (cant speak for Ableton) dont see why your set-up shouldn't work. Haven't used 5.1 in Logic but there are templates for it in Logic, the mixer pan is just a circle with points on it rather than the pan left/right. It's how you hear audio anyway so shouldn't be a massive leap, let us know how you get on.