Hurri-quake Week!

Leo

a 5.5 earthquake hit nyc this past tuesday, now hurricane irene on track to nail us tonight. wtf, is a plague of locusts next??

if anyone who's lived thru hurricanes has words of advice, let me know. my apartment is on the fifth floor on relatively high ground but surrounded by lower-lying flood-prone areas, so fully anticipate power outage (could last for multiple days) and no subway trains (already shut down). stocked up on food, water, flashlight (aka, torch), batteries.

appreciate any advice, although if the power goes out i won't be able to read it until after the fact!

Last edited:

Leo

well, that was (thankfully) uneventful. haven't lost power (yet), no flooding or damage visible out our window, although other parts of town are under 4+ feet of water. hopefully the worse has passed, now have about a year's worth of canned tuna fish on hand!

grizzleb

I'd imagine that part of me would be a little disappointed if there wasn't at least a bit of madness after all the build up.

Leo

part 2, sort of...waiting for hurricane/tropical storm/frankenstorm weather apocalypse sandy to hit tomorrow afternoon. they've already evacuated people living in ground-floor apartments (i'm up on 5). the wife is back in the UK visiting family, so just me and the cats hunkering down with lots of bottled water and canned food, filled the bathtub with water. the local power company says it expects over 1 million customers to lose electricity due to downed power lines. i'll be pissed, as we just stocked the freezer last week. i also live two blocks from the hudson river, where they expect waves of 8-10 feet. hmm.

as is the case, part of me is strangely looking forward to a day of no email/twitter/facebook/tv/music, just me and the pile of magazines and books that have gone untouched (hopefully not more than a day, though). i'll miss dissensus, of course. look forward to coming back later in the week and finding out how you all have figured out conceptual art.

Leo

thanks, guys. here's the view from my apartment:

544729_4241787917310_147053767_n.jpg

:)

storm hit a few hours ago, lost power for 90 minutes but back now, hopefully that's all. still really windy and the hudson river is overflowing but still a couple of blocks away. hope i make it through the night!

Here's a view from a friend of mine's apartment in lower Manhattan

496_10151317143705984_1465044835_n.jpg

He'd just flown in from Europe and all he could buy to eat before lockdown was a pumpernickel loaf... he works in the Empire State building which is visibly still illuminated in his photo, so I presume he's going to do a Kurt Russell and make his way up there through several miles of post-Apocalyptic Manhattan. That's what I'd do anyway.

Last edited:

Leo

ha...yeah, well, about a half hour after my last post, the power went out...and stayed out for 6 days! just got it back a little while ago. no damage to our place but other parts of town were under 6 feet of water that overflowed from the hudson river. luckily we had running water and working gas stove the whole time, so we cooked lots of pasta. was getting cold at night, in the low 30s, used hot water bottle and lots of blanket layers.

it sucked but could have been much worse, i know someone on long island who had fish and eels swimming around in their living room!