Hall & Oates

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
I Can't Go For That. (Wo-oh-woh, no can do.) I love this song, the little piano trills and the walking bassline. And the vocals. Dammit, I love all of it.

Out Of Touch is good, too, though I'm aware I'm stating the obvious choices. I don't know much of their repertoire beyond the hits.

Last edited:

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Thanks, and please do state the obvious. I got a huge compilation out the library and I don't recognise more than a couple of titles. The one I mentioned needed a few listens before I realised I was being stroked by the pinky of Allah - all short cuts appreciated.

hint

party record with a siren
"Crime Pays" is great. It's got that camp pretending-to-be-tough vibe. A bit of stubble and a brand new leather jacket.

Plus it also sounds like Daryl is singing "looks like crab paste for you".

"Kiss On My List" has a lovely chord progression and melody and it has a kick heavy enough to get a release on Swamp81.

"[insert name of thing you like]... is on my list of the best things in life" is also a good line to drop into casual conversation.

"Private Eyes" sounds like a damp cardboard box. The composition is undeniable though.

"You make My Dreams" is every drunk auntie at every wedding ever.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
sara smile
adult education (i just heard an awesome rendition by some bum [excuse my insensitivity here, but...] on the boardwalk - oof!)
family man

if you are interested in "deep cuts" type stuff
hall made a solo record with robert fripp called "prayer" or something
godawful (maybe i need to listen to it more) but worth investigating

and "abandoned luncheonette" is a great early record from them when they were more singer/songwriterish

i saw these guys headline a show almost ten years ago and they killed it
i may be a bit biased as they are my hometown band
and these guys reportedly roomed in the same dormitory i stayed in (peabody hall!) - maybe false but i don't care to dispel the myth