planet of the apes

gumdrops

i LOVE these films

first one is ultra classic and jane harrison aka nova was really hot
second one i think might actually be better than the first one
only seen conquest after that which i did like but seemed to carry less of the interesting philosophical arguments/questions and was a lot more straightforward 'lunatics take over the asylum' sort of thriller, though it did still have parallels/allegories, it was just made a bit too explicit perhaps
tim burtons remake (reimagining sheimagining) i did actually find myself liking, though its a bit hammy, and he doesnt quite inject the ape franchise with enough new ideas/aesthetics (the apes do look amazing though)
i do like the new 'rise' one, though its basically like conquest i think, 'a beginnings' film, but i think i just enjoyed seeing the apes wreak revenge and go ape (ho ho) righteously all over the place

i put off seeing these for so long but have acquired a kind of obsession with them recently, and im glad the ending of the first one was never spoilt for me cos it really IS one of the best endings hollywood has ever come up with

anyone else obsessed with the apes?

grizzleb

Sorry for just posting a youtube video, especially after that other thread. I can't stop laughing watching this though. I only vaguely remember planet of the apes from tv when I was kid, I recall thinking it was basically the definition of naff back in the day. Maybe give the first one a pop again.

slowtrain

Ha, I am so pleased you posted that video!

On a Simpsons song binge now...

(Sorry, irrelevant post)

jenks

thread death
Took my 11 year old to the latest one and actually enjoyed it much more than I had expected - the CGI very impressive and a few laugh out loud moments when the apes go on the rampage - think it took a little too long to get to the escape but worth it for the 'alpha male' reckoning that takes place in the monkey house.

He thought it was one of the best films he has ever seen and they resisted the 3D option, for which I am truly grateful.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
It's the best series of films that has ever come out.

And you're right about the second one, Beneath the Planet, it's just the bleakest and weirdest film ever made.

I like the new one, it looks great and they've done a good job, I hope they continue the franchise, and hope it similarly runs out of money like the other ones did, would be great to see the CGI getting cheaper and cheaper as it continues. Wish the music on the new one had been as good as the old ones though, only gripe.

luka

whats the one wih the big forehead brothers that worpship the bomb? i lik that one.

gumdrops

It's the best series of films that has ever come out.

And you're right about the second one, Beneath the Planet, it's just the bleakest and weirdest film ever made.

I like the new one, it looks great and they've done a good job, I hope they continue the franchise, and hope it similarly runs out of money like the other ones did, would be great to see the CGI getting cheaper and cheaper as it continues. Wish the music on the new one had been as good as the old ones though, only gripe.

totally agree

the music on the old one is really odd and disquieting, the new music is pretty standard fare. i love the new one but could do with it looking a bit less typically modern hollywood/cgi-infested. i think the best apes are actually rick bakers from tim burtons film, not the new one with andy serkis.

Damien

I love planet of the apes

I went through a resurgent period a few years back of watching the video collection back to back, awesome

I really hated the Tim Burton film mind

Seen the new one recently and I really liked it, on it's own terms of course. I wouldn't place it up there with the classics