gregor_s

There are many forums on the internet which are similar to Dissensus. Most of them are made-up of like-minded folk talking about the matters that concern them.

For example:

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/
http://www.stormfront.org/forum/

The psychopath from Norway incubated in a chat forum. They are very interesting forms of political public space, because they are not tied to a commodity.

(The author of a blog, or the author of a Twitter feed, are themselves commodities...)

A healthy society requires this kind of political space.

The only problem with forums is that users self-segregate, into comfortable circuits of cognitive consonance.

(Stormfront and Shiachat probably don't share many members.)

I put it to the people:

Dissensus should seek to engineer a glorious rebirth by means of a sustained campaign of kidnapping or luring ideologues and madmen from the far-flung corners of the internet and world to join the board and bring the lulz and may Enlightenment prevail!

bruno

est malade
i've always liked the idea of an overchan-like forum viewer, instant access to a (curated) list of forums with collapsing subsections. it works for chans because they share the same underlying software and graphical format, and a similar culture, you slip from one to another with ease. forums, on the other hand, are self-contained worlds, there is the mess of forum formats and the delay of registration, no anonymous posting means less bleeding of users from one forum to another, etc.

forums are also very insular cultures in some cases, very difficult to get into in others and sometimes at odds. i don't think this forum, for example, would enjoy being listed alongside stromfront (and vice versa). so user migration/bleeding is less likely, but it remains an interesting idea to have a one-stop shop for off the beaten path forums.

slowtrain

I dunno, I think the distinctions between forums like this one, and the chans are part of what makes them both quite good.

The sort of 'insularness' of forums can be quite good, lends itself to sticking around and figuring out how everything is working if you want to be part of the community. As opposed to the chans where you just breeze in, post your dead body pics or facebook passwords and your outta there.

I think that that is a good thing, I think both are good because of their differences.

bruno

est malade
true, but a bird's eye view of forum content would not necessarily disrupt a particular culture (due to the hurdle of registration) and would provide a fascinating window into obscure/empty or moribund forums. on the other hand, an influx of new users/viewers could affect bandwidth/server costs and effectively kill a forum.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This thread has to take the biscuit for "title most likely to be shared by a programme promulgated by the Politburo of a small, turbulent country that's just undergone a Maoist-inspired popular revolution".

I remember the Great Stormfront Invasion by a Grand Dot Army of Trolls from bbs.FuckedCompany.com, back in the '00s.

It went well. Goatse-scarred retinas, that sort of thing.

Unfortunately, an equal and opposite Army of Stormfronters then invaded bbs.FuckedCompany.com. Now there is still a stormfront but no fuckedcompany board.

Tread carefully among the fascists.

Last edited:

slowtrain

Ohh, there are some good extreme forums out there.

Black metal's good for cring-inducing ones.

the FMP666 forum is one of the more wonderful 'ancients' of the internet (been around since the early 00's, 10+ years..) - a weird and wonderful place.

I'd like some more. Stumbled across this one recently:

http://thehappycube.proboards.com/index.cgi

which was really exciting for a little while, but then it turns out it was a Something Awful joke.

Also, forums on the darknet - I've seen some screengrabs on 4chan - you do not wanna go there.

gregor_s

There is a more long-term plan in place for human liberation. In the meantime, we need some hackers with upstanding moral character.