You Know It's a Good Film When (The Sequel)

zhao

there are no accidents
what happened to that thread? i'll start another, if we find the first, we can move my post to it and delete this one. anyhow:

when it is 11PM in Berlin, and the protagonists, pursued by bad people, dive into a nightclub, where the dj is very seriously working the knobs on his mixer, and the crowd on the packed dance floor is pumping fists in the air in unison, in the middle of New Order's Blue Monday.

(yes i made the minor mistake of renting Unknown Identity last night. oh well)

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A "nerd" character explains some situation or phenomenon using (blatantly made-up) "scientific" jargon, and a non-nerd character responds with some variation on "Does anyone here speak English?"...

dan-ackroyd.jpg

zhao

there are no accidents
hollywood routinely gets teenagers wrong.

insecure boy characters with massive anxiety about approaching girls are none the less too often portrayed as way too confident and self knowing -- handling themselves like the popular kids the actor himself probably was, complete with knowing and charming self-mockery, without a trace of the debilitating desperation, awkwardness, or vulnerability found in such teenage boys in reality.

zhao

there are no accidents
When middle ages Europe is portrayed with that air of romantic chivalry -- the main characters being of course royalty, nobility, and their handsome, brave, and beautiful children.

which is like EVERY SINGLE PERIOD PIECE about the dark ages ever made.

what a huge crock of shit.

you

hollywood routinely gets it wrong.

insecure characters with massive anxiety about approaching people are none the less too often portrayed as way too confident and self knowing -- handling themselves like the popular kids the actor/actress probably was, complete with knowing and charming self-mockery, without a trace of the debilitating desperation, awkwardness, or vulnerability found in all of us in reality.

fixed

STN

sou'wester
the characters encounter a locked door, and the lead character gestures at the door to his bulky but none-too-bright sidekick and says the sidekick's name in an inviting fashion. The sidekick immediately smashes the door in.

Alternatively, on encountering the door the well-built character can say a calm 'allow me' before smashing through it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
when Samuel L. Jackson says "Motherfucker"...

The Star Wars prequels would have been about 300% better if they'd allowed SLJ the occasional "May the Force be with us all, motherfuckers".

Then again, those films would have been about 100000000% better if they'd never been made at all.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
When middle ages Europe is portrayed with that air of romantic chivalry -- the main characters being of course royalty, nobility, and their handsome, brave, and beautiful children.

which is like EVERY SINGLE PERIOD PIECE about the dark ages ever made.

what a huge crock of shit.

I liked that show about the Romans that was on a while back, the one that basically portrayed them as a bunch of perverted, conniving psychopaths.

you

college students wearing denim or tight shorts go for 'a drive', encounter an abandoned house, and, as you would - as anyone would, just march straight in through sheer curiosity....

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The billboards advertising the film simply feature a guy in a suit, wearing sunglasses and carrying a gun.

Variation: hot chick in a skimpy dress - carrying a gun.

zhao

there are no accidents
The billboards advertising the film simply feature a guy in a suit, wearing sunglasses and carrying a gun.

Variation: hot chick in a skimpy dress - carrying a gun.

perfect example of both civilization itself and our particular culture's exultation of aggressiveness, emphasis on violence, and privileging of competition over cooperation as both driving force of capitalism and biological evolution. same with nature shows. (please don't respond to this)

Last edited:

gumdrops

hollywood routinely gets teenagers wrong.

insecure boy characters with massive anxiety about approaching girls are none the less too often portrayed as way too confident and self knowing -- handling themselves like the popular kids the actor himself probably was, complete with knowing and charming self-mockery, without a trace of the debilitating desperation, awkwardness, or vulnerability found in such teenage boys in reality.

sounds like you would love jesse eisenberg films (who i love fwiw)

zhao

there are no accidents
sounds like you would love jesse eisenberg films (who i love fwiw)

had to look him up on IMDB but i did like the Squid and the Whale a lot!

but slavoj zizek was better in it than jesse eisenberg: his portrayal of a self important ass was perfection itself.

gumdrops

watch rodger dodger and adventureland: he plays a teen boy totally unlike your standard mainstream hollywood depiction (think: the depressingly dire shia lebouf). actually hes quite good in zombieland doing something similar there too. squid and the whale is amazing though, agreed.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
perfect example of both civilization itself and our particular culture's exultation of aggressiveness, emphasis on violence, and privileging of competition over cooperation as both driving force of capitalism and biological evolution. same with nature shows. (please don't respond to this)

Dunno about the ecological aspect but as far as society goes, I pretty much agree with you.

luka

out of ethical obligation i'm not gonna laugh react to any of these, sorry limburger
I'm not going to like any of his posts till he takes back that Jessie Esienburger remark out of solidarity with the Greatest Living American.