Paris 1969

Woebot

Been thinking of compiling a Paris 1969 compilation of French Music:

Here's what I've come up with so far (very sketchy/ill-informed)

• Francois Bayle's "It" (with Robert Wyatt)
• Brigitte Fontaine "Comme a la Radio" (AACM in effect)
• Francois Bayle's "Solitioude" (with David Allen)
• Hector Zazou's Baricade records (though I know nothing about them, please advise)
• The Jean Claude Vannier record (er, cos its radical, French and from about the right time)
• Some Francois Rabbath (ditto)
• Some Alan Silva (any BYG)
• A likkle Francois Tusques....

Aw c'mon I'm dieing out here.....

redcrescent

Not much help, but...

Gong Magick Brother (OK, so only Didier Malherbe is Parisian)

Serge Gainsbourg 69: Année érotique (a nice title for a compilation, actually!)

Jim Daze

That Wyatt/Bayle track is so good, I'd really like to hear the one with deavid allen. Is there much else in the way of prog/concrete get togethers. Really love to get a copy of this comp when you do it. can't think of anything to add immediately, however on different track Matt, that Vannier record is super cool :p

MiltonParker

>Hector Zazou's Baricade records (though I know nothing about them, please advise)

I know even less about them, what have _you_ heard? I thought his first album was with ZNR, 'Barricade 3', does this mean there are two prequels?

one movement from Luc Ferrari's Tautologos 3 might work, not to get electroacoustic topheavy

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
"Bonnie and Clyde" Gainsbourg/Bardot (68)
"Ballade de Melody Nelson" Gainsbourg (71)

Amazon.fr might be a good place to listen to samples

Woebot

MiltonParker said:
I know even less about them, what have _you_ heard? I thought his first album was with ZNR, 'Barricade 3', does this mean there are two prequels?

I think we need iueke and SMorlighem to show up and straighten us out! Yes there are 3 apparently.

Thanks for the suggestions peeps. Keep 'em coming in :)

xero

was minusone
I think it was composed in 1970 & released a year later but Vangelis' "Fais que ton reve soit plus long que la nui" (make your dream last longer than the night) was recorded in Paris, is based on the '68 events and uses field recordings from the riots & radio footage - His first band Aphrodite's Child (with Demis Roussos) was based in Paris during 1968, having fled the Greek military coup

the back cover is here: http://www.vangelismovements.com/FqtrsplqlnBackB.jpg

redcrescent

Magma Magma (1970)
French jazz drummer Christian Vander and some of Johnny Halliday's hornsmen do brassy Prog rock/opera in a sub-Soft Machine vein, the song titles sound positively Klingonian ("Sckxyss", "Thaud Zaïa"...)

Michel Colombier Mr. Freedom OST, Gainsbourg sings the title track

Baden Powell Le Monde Musical de Baden Powell - Vol. 2
Rec. in Paris 1969, features Raymond Guiot on flute (-> library music)

J.P. Massiera's Les Maledictus Sound? Recorded in Nice, France, 1969 or thereabouts?

Last edited:

iueke

Jim Daze said:
Is there much else in the way of prog/concrete get togethers.

Bernard Parmegiani live with The third Ear Band - sadly we can only speculate how this sounded. it seems there are no known copies.

Jacques leJeunne - Danse - from "petite suite d'une multitude en fete" released on PERSPECTIVE MUSICALS - one of the finest concrete prog moments.

Bernard Bonnier - casse tete - not quite prog, more post punk indie meets concrete - very funky. Bonnier had previosly been Pierre Henry's assistant.

Ilhan Mimaroglu - tract - includes a great concrete rock track with the band Topsy Turvy - recorded in Paris 72 ( i think)

as for the 69 comp - i need to think about this for a while.

owen

i'm not an expert on this stuff by any means, though i might suggest mirielle darc's 'helicoptere'- written by gainsbourg, very dark (with nice rotor noises)sounds not unlike the 'melody nelson' stuff, plus she was in 'weekend' so you've got the gauchiste angle there. its on the 'gainsbourg- versions femmes' cd

minusone said:
I think it was composed in 1970 & released a year later but Vangelis' "Fais que ton reve soit plus long que la nui" (make your dream last longer than the night) was recorded in Paris, is based on the '68 events and uses field recordings from the riots & radio footage - His first band Aphrodite's Child (with Demis Roussos) was based in Paris during 1968, having fled the Greek military coup
crikey that sounds like the greatest thing ever

this will be a very interesting compilation, are you giving out copies?
;)

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
just saw the documentary on Astor Piazolla on BBC 4. Seems like he went to Paris several times
in the late 60s/early 70s. So might be of interest.

The doc was a bit long, and the program afterwards on the origins
and preservation of tango in Finland (made in the early 90s or so) was better
(One of the Kaurasmaaki brothers proclaiming "I hate people who laugh". I had to laugh).

Any Finns on here - what's the story of nostalgic music in Finland? tango, rockabilly, surf rock etc -
they all seem to thrive.

SMorlighem

MiltonParker said:
>Hector Zazou's Baricade records (though I know nothing about them, please advise)

There's a french website now about Barricade : http://www.groupe-barricade.com
and there's a cd of sessions (1969-1974) !!! : http://futuramarge.free.fr/index.htm

1969 : What about François de Roubaix ???