UK Urban

Woebot

If you actually watch Channel U (as I've been doing quite occasionally recently) you find it's about 50% UK R'n'B. 25% UK HipHop (of the street, not the backpacker variety) and only 25% Grime.

When I was out the other night at Stratford, the "UK Urban" got an absolutely massive reception. Everyone knew their tunes. OK, it was blown away in quality and intensity of reception by the More Fire crew, but it was definitely on the radar in a big way.

Is "UK Urban" a force to be reckoned with? In time will it swallow Grime whole? These are my thoughts.....

Blackdown

nexKeysound
it's definitely a misconception that if you're from inner city london you like grime. US hip hop, r&b and bashment are huge. grime seems to appeal only to the most "road" section of the community - its anger puts a lot of people off.

First thing's first.......

F*** the word urban. Second, I think garage is popular mainly around teenagers so its still not that powerful yet.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
to be honest running the car window test in hackney, where i live, you're hearing less and less grime. it's mainly new roots and revival gear from older guys, a *huge* amount of ragga and lots of US hip-hop now.

S

simon silverdollar

the primary school kids down my road sing along to Fire Camp songs on their mobiles.

i've never once heard a grime tune from a car window. maybe "stand up tall" a few times. how many 15 year olds actually drive cars? it's all about the bus stop. i remember seeing these three girls, right up in each other, touching noses, and screaming the lyrics to forward back in like may last year. car windows are all about soca, polished east coast rap and dnb. this is south east london though.

mms

sometimes
i heard a mental uk hiphop track that kinda followed the grime trait of reppin your ends
called east is good for a g or something like that, the brilliant thing about it is that it ws based on a sample of love theme from bladerunner, and personally i've been waiting for years for people to sample this soundtrack, they haven't done a very sophisticated job tho, regardless i was quite excited

nomos

Administrator
i just picked up that sway and wonder track "call my name" over at boomselection. seems kind of hybrid-y to me and i like it a lot. don't really know sway from your aunt, but i like him on this track.

Woebot

the other night i saw "soundbwoy incorporated" i think they were called. a five-piece playa-style male vocal harmony rnb bizniss. each member of the band had his own personality schtick. 5 quite shakey live dancers. incrediby derivative/a poor copy of the us stuff but the crowd loved 'em/knew their hit.

i guess thats what i mean by UK Urban, as much as playing imported stuff.