Favourite guitar tones ever

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Getting back into sound design (I'm rubbish, but it interests me), and reading music press articles (eg Sound on Sound) about the greatest tones ever. These tend to be way too obvious, although interesting. So, I was thinking about my own (but the list I have so far is also pretty obvious)...:

Bowie on Scary Monsters (partic the soaring tones on Teenage Wildlife and Kingdom Come)
Hendrix on All Along the Watchtower
J Mascis on Where you Been? (Out There etc)

Advances please....

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The solo at the end of Plateau, Meat Puppets.

The weird flanged intro to Nobody's Fault But Mine, Led Zep. Also the slide guitar on Travelling Riverside Blues.

Virtually any early Sabbath.

you

the solo on Portishead's Glory Box has a nice snarl to it
the opening riff on Mogwai's Hunted by a Freak sounds dope as
Adam Jones of Tool made some great sounds on Jambi
Ben Weinmanns quiet part on DEP's Sunshine The Werewolf is nice too
D'yer Maker, Gimme Shelter....

I dunno, probably some cooler ones out there but these spring to mind

connect_icut

First of all...

MY BLOODY VALENTINE

Everything by them, really but especially "Loomer", "To Here Knows When", "Don't Ask Why" and "Several Girls Galore"

Also...

Neil Young - Zuma (underrated!)
The Byrds (that 12-string sound)
Fennesz (everything)
Davy Graham/Bert Jansch/John Renbourn (highly-textured acoustic approach)
John Martyn - "Small Hours" (as previously mentioned)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Y'see, I never even liked that when I was 16. I appreciated RATM's politics, but couldn't get with their music at all... Guess it's just a personal thing.

I second Public Image Ltd - I could never really sit down and listen to the albums all the way through, but live the sound was simply incredible, overwhelming.

Love the jangle-pop sound too - Teenage Fanclub - The Concept, and obv Big Star - Thirteen.

Manics- Motorcycle Emptiness#

Love for the 12-string sound too.

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
Super dorky but the first which popped into my head was Jets To Brazil - Sea Anemone and then this version of Jawbreaker - shield your eyes

Last edited:

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
No idea what the player(s) are called but early/mid 70's Barry White productions have the most amazing liquid crystal tones.
Case study no.1:

Already been mentioned up thread but the sound Pete Kember gets out of guitars is always amazing

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Some amazing Zappa guitar (slide, maybe?) on the FZ/Beefheart track 'The Torture Never Stops'.

Zappa was a pretty nifty strummer all round, actually. Producer too, of course.

muser

I listened to maggot brain pretty much nonstop for a large portion of high school, with headphones on it literally sounds like the guitar is boring into your skull, still love it now actually. the whole track is drenched in acid.

Bill orcutt probably deserves a mention, I love the north african guitar comps sublime freqs have put out aswell, especially group doueh.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Weird guitar on this although I dunno exactly what you mean by tone so might not be the right kinda thing.

Also

And one more

Apparently, depending on who you believe, the fuzzbox was invented by Grady Martin on some country record. He did his own song to exploit that called The Fuzz which is ace.

Best of all

STN

sou'wester
Robert Fripp, esp on Scary Monsters, as mentioned above
Slash on Sweet Child Of Mine
The really rich-sounding guitar solo on Prince's I Could Never take the Place of UR Man.
Blixa Bargeld on Yellow Eyes by the Gun Club