Critical Beats #1: Sound, Technology & Microgenres [LDN]

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Co-hosted by The Wire and the University of East London, Critical Beats is a series of talks and panel discussions exploring various aspects of electronic dance music and club culture as they manifest in East London and beyond. The events will feature contributions from some of the most active musicians, producers, critics and theorists on the scene. The monthly events will take place at London's Stratford Circus.

* First one tomorrow! *

The first edition of Critical Beats takes place on 3 November, titled Sound, Technology & Microgenres. The panel includes Matthew Ingram (Woebot), Adam Harper (Rouges Foam), Mike Paradinas (Planet Mu), and is moderated by Lisa Blanning.

The panel will discuss the way emergent technologies enable dance music to constantly renew itself by spawning multiple new subgenres, and what those subgenres say about the scenes they emerge from. Online tickets are available for the first event here. Alternatively, ring 0844 357 2625 to purchase tickets from the Stratford Circus box office directly.

We've put together a 'reader' for this event, check it out:

http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/7829/

* If you are there! *

Come and say hi to me, the guy in the Omar Souleyman T-shirt.

* Coming soon! *

The panel on 8 December is on Place Place, Locality & Globalisation – how dance scenes emerge from specific local geographies, and what happens to them when they migrate and go viral. On the panel: Stuart Baker (Soul Jazz), Martin Clark (Blackdown/Keysound), George Mahood (Big Daddy), moderated by myself, Derek Walmsley

For full info on the series:

http://thewire.co.uk/articles/7643/

gumdrops

enjoyed this. reminded me of a lot of dissensus discussions. though more calm and level. the weird thing was after reading similar debates so much on the web, eg- the rolling post dubstep thread on here, im not sure there was much new to say, even though it was cool hearing little details from the panel. for the next one, i think the panel should be less rational, more illogical speakers prone to crazy outbursts :)

Last edited:

gumdrops

ha. i was actually being half serious. ive been going to quite a few talks and debates recently and i would like to see them be less - for lack of a better word - 'reasonable'. there needs to be a uk bass paxman. :p

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Heh, will take that on board for sure! Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed it. Say hi if you bump into me at the next one.