ghost the band.

mms

sometimes
i've not heard their stuff before bt someone gave me cd of early stuff by masaki batoh their leader, and it's good, extremely odd, otherworldly hypnotic psychedelia that doesn't seem to be based in any time period.
Does anyone know what ghost's best lp's are and what other stuff there is like this?

It's kinda lavish stuff in one sense, created using lots of unusual instruments; hurdy gurdys, moogs, timpani and bells, the only music i can relate it to is krautrock, then some of the mystical jazz stuff, maybe sunn 0))) at their most funereal .

carlos

manos de piedra
i love batoh's solo lp- i bought it when it came out because i was a ghost fan but overall, (especially nowadays) i think it's better than any ghost LP. more otherwordly as you say, and much starker and stranger than ghost

anyway- my favorite ghost is "temple stone"- it was recorded in various japanese temples and so has a lot of natural reverb that i think works well. it's more "timeless" sounding than their more recent output, which gets a bit too retro 60s/70s psych rock

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I think Second Time Around , while certainly towards the retro end of their output, is nevertheless supremely beautiful. It's so sun-kissed it's euphoric.

polystyle

Ghosts of Amon Duul 2

I should look up that solo record ,
'cause after hearing about Ghost I listened to the recent release "Hypnotic Underworld"
where titles like "God Took A Picture Of His Illness On This Ground" got my attention ,
but I found it a bit strained , but have to give them credit for trying .
Ghosts of Amon Duul 2 records past hangs too heavy ,
but I will keep listening to what they do in part because of them doing things like recording in Japanese temples and keeping the 'Free Tibet' flag flying ...

mms

sometimes
polystyle des said:
I should look up that solo record

well it's just got easier because drag city are re-releasing his two albums on one cd under the name collected works 95-96, on November 15th.
Nice.

Thanks for the reccommendations gents. They're one of those bands I've just not got into but I had the feeling i'd like.

willem

I only know of Ghost through this year's Hypnotic Underworld, which I like a lot, even though it lacks a bit in spontaneity. At times it reminded me of a record which is far more loose and out there: Super Record (from 1975) by Magical Power Mako, basically a one-man project from Japan. I believe he's still recording but this is the one that stands out in his catalogue, at least the part of it I heard.

rob_giri

Turn On, Tune In, Free Tibet - hah

Don't overlook their self-titled lp. The first track "Sun is Tanging" is like the apex of Jap psych folk

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Ah, just as mms was going on about Collected Works 95-96, it's dropped into our shop. You know what, I don't think much of it. There are just two wonderful vocal tracks, Yoo Doo Right and Cream's World Of Pain but apart from that it's very much DIY drones and hitting mystic stones. Nothing wrong with that, but it's much less exciting than Ghost IMHO.

It's like meeting a mystic shaman, and instead of him giving you the full dramatic dancing and shaking stuff with his whole posse in effect, he just carves a little wooden artifact for you. It's still mystic, but kind of inset and uninvolving.

mms

sometimes
maybe it's me but it just took me away to somewhere else..
i thought the other way around, didn't like the vocality but dug the drones.
what shop is it u work in?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I'll have another listen to the drones, maybe I just wasn't drone-enabled that day. I work in Music and Video Exchange in London, behind the scenes (that makes it sound more interesting than this big pile of paperwork deserves).

Can anyone recommend the Damon and Naomi/Ghost collaboration?

mms

sometimes
ahh i worked there for a short time about 10 years ago, i think mr woebot had a short stint there too