Joint vols 1+2
Rough and Ready
Jungle Heat
Renegade Selector
Artcore 1
Promised Land 1

nomos

Administrator
Not sure if you're going back this far but I'm big fan of the first few Hard Leaders compilations. Also Calling All The People 3CD from Whitehouse.

Though I don't think there's anything better than the AWOL tape packs.

There are some good digital compilations out now too at JunoDL - the Reinforced ones (Rufige, 4Hero, Doc Scott), Formation (A New Breed of Ravers). Also Suburban Base, Basement, Brain and others have chunks of their catalogues on there now too.

Last edited:

benw

looking forward to checking some of these out. not on a thread hijack hype here martin but has anyone got any tracks which stand out as coming between hardcore and jungle? proto jungle, but distinct from jungle / ardkore? or does no such thing exist? might be making up proto-genres here / chatting shit. just interested if stuff like this exists.

nomos

Administrator
looking forward to checking some of these out. not on a thread hijack hype here martin but has anyone got any tracks which stand out as coming between hardcore and jungle? proto jungle, but distinct from jungle / ardkore? or does no such thing exist? might be making up proto-genres here / chatting shit. just interested if stuff like this exists.
Is this the sort of thing you're after? They're basically inventing jungle on the fly. Possibly my favourite recording of anything ever.

gremino

Moster Sirphine
first jungle compilations i listened were borrowed from my local library in early '00s/late '90s :) one of them was 'Jungle Tekno 6 - Phat & Phuturistic' which Benny mentioned above. just bought it actually! pretty pricey nowadays. it's a good selection of more alternative jungle tracks:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1Aw_asegfIk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0fdgzTLm8QQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

another one from my library was this amazing mix cd Jungle Fever Vol.1 mixed by German based 'Bassface Sascha'. good and not too obvious selection from 93-94. this was where i was first introduced to 'Higher Sense - Cold Fresh Air', which still remains my all time favourite amen tune!!!!

benw

Is this the sort of thing you're after? They're basically inventing jungle on the fly. Possibly my favourite recording of anything ever.

thanks nomos, this is ace - just what i wanted. anyone else?

hint that 1 in the jungle comp looks good for variety, will be checking that out.

Benny Bunter

I think i got that Jungle tekno 6 comp for about a tenner a while back. Fantastic music but I think the pressing was abit quiet if I remember correctly. Maybe the CDs OK, i don't know.

One common problem with some of these comps on vinyl is that they often tried to cram in too many tracks on each side, so the sound quality sometimes suffered, or they'd fade the tracks out after 4 minutes or so. Like this Jet Star one for instance: http://www.discogs.com/Various-Jungle-Hits-Volume-3/release/67536

that last one introduced me to this so i'm still very happy to own it

edit: listening to this on youtube is actually the first time I've heard the full version!

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
that last one introduced me to this so i'm still very happy to own it

Fucking hell that's brilliant. I'll second Jungle Renegades from upthread, which I bought my brother as a Christmas present in 199x tho I think it overlaps in terms of tracklisting with one of the comps Blackdown's already got

Trillhouse

I think i got that Jungle tekno 6 comp for about a tenner a while back..
I used to have a couple of these dubbed on tape as a kid. I remember playing them to death, but lost them a long time ago though.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value=""><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value=""><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/66o_sdXRFro?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/66o_sdXRFro?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

OH MY GOSH! Here comes the nostalgia headrush.

luka

think this is '92. i like these sorts of things. mc d was a big name in uk rap but this is a jungle side project.