Critical Beats #2: Place, Locality and Globalisation [LDN 8 December]

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Hey all

The second instalment of The Wire's discussion series Critical Beats takes place this Thursday 8 December at East London's Stratford Circus and is titled Place, Locality and Globalisation. On the panel: Stuart Baker (Soul Jazz), Martin Clark (Blackdown/Keysound), George Mahood (Big Daddy) and moderator Derek Walmsley.

From Techno to dubstep, the most significant dance music cultures emerge*locally but impact globally. This discussion looks at how dance scenes*emerge from specific local geographies and what happens to them when they*migrate and go viral.

You can find a 'reader' for the panel here, with interviews/ideas/texts etc on the theme: http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/8023/

And for more on the Critical Beats series check the main page here: http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/7643/

The first panel was a blast and really well attended, so come down, talk, opinionate, drink, chat, discourse, etc.

Cheers

Derek

luka

when yourer there can you take some pictures around stratford and post them on this thread cos im a bit homesick. thanks.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Will do if you want Luca! Tell you what, it's really strange there now. I went on the bus from Walthamstow to 'Stratford City' the other day, and you pass through an enormous security check where they inspect the bus, in case any oyster card users are about to bomb the shopping centre. Weird.

The rest of it is like Blade Runner designed by Channel 5. There's enormous tacky billboards everywhere advertising Big Brother and other nonsense. It's very hard to walk around as there's so many roadworks.

But happy to take photos it you want. You in AU Luca?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Totally agree. It doesn't feel like it's in London even, somehow, so many chain stories and big branded shops it just feels like a town centre of a medium sized provincial town.

luka

thats right, still in sydney. i want to com back in 2012 but the state of the economy worries me. i dont have a degree, i dont have a trade, i have a volatile personality and i dont like the thought of fighting pretty young polish girls for cafe jobs as a 32 year old. i dont know. it worries me slightly. id love to see some pictures. id be thrilled/.

benw

yeah that big shopping centre you have to walk through to get from the tube station to where the first panel was (and this one i believe) is baffling, once your inside it you lose all sense of where you actually are. i walked around it for about 10 minutes and by then had completely lost any sense of direction.

on a different note, can't make this which is a shame - anyone who goes please report back.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
btw, thanks to all who came down and got involved, really interesting night again.

I also took some photos of Stratford which I'll forward if I can...

benw

bugger. missed that nts broadcast completely. any chance of an airing somewhere else derek?

e/y

that was very interesting (and entertaining), thanks a lot for organising / sharing it.

benw,

NTS put up a recording of pt. 1 here, so they'll probably have one for this part eventualy.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Thanks for posting those links!

Here's the details of the next pane, Feb 2012.

Meanwhile, Simon Reynolds will also be appearing at the third edition of Critical Beats, the series of symposiums on electronic dance music and club culture co-hosted by The Wire and the University of East London. For the event, Simon will join Steve Goodman, Mark Fisher and The Wire’s publisher Tony Herrington for a panel discussion that will address the loaded question: has electronic dance music culture reached the point of aesthetic exhaustion? Critical Beats is at London Stratford Circus on 23 February, 7:30pm, tickets £5/£3. stratford-circus.com