Finnegan's Wake

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I've just started Finnegan's Wake using the Joseph Campbell reader, any thoughts on Campbell's take of it? Or thoughts on it in general? It's blowing my mind.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Have not read but if you get through it here's a few bits you might be interested in.

James Joyce reading from Finnegan's Wake recorded in Paris around 1924.

On the 70th anniversary of the death of James Joyce. John Kelly had a show about John Cage's 'Roaratorio' which is based on Finnegans Wake.

I hear the Jim Norton readers are very good too as is the the 82 RTE dramatised production of "Ulysses".

slowtrain

I've never read any Joyce, bar his love letters. I have my grandfather's copies of Dubliners and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man on my book shelf. Which should I start with?

I apologise for digressing.

I'm hardly an expert either, but my flatmate (who just finished Ulysses) recommending going Dubliners -> Portrait... -> Ulysses -> Finnegan's...

Because I think characters follow over and stuff.

Plus you getta see the development blah blahfaslb

mistersloane

I'm hardly an expert either, but my flatmate (who just finished Ulysses) recommending going Dubliners -> Portrait... -> Ulysses -> Finnegan's...

Because I think characters follow over and stuff.

Plus you getta see the development blah blahfaslb

Wicked thanks Section, will check them out, and yeah agree with slowtrain, do them in order, or just skip the bits you're bored by and get to Ulysses, and persist with that one.

luka

its too hard for me. i can read a paragraph then i get tired. it requies too much vigilance. mayb when im older

mistersloane

its too hard for me. i can read a paragraph then i get tired. it requies too much vigilance. mayb when im older

Yeah I found that years back but reading it along with a reader makes it easier, doesn't feel like cheating cos I wouldn't understand it anyway and is blowing my mind just cos of the depth of detail, he broke language down into every syllable it seems.

grizzleb

Yeaah do it. Dubliners and Portrait are both amazing. Got about 90 pages into Ullysses before I had to turn to other things for school, but what I recall of it was pretty readable, certainly not just obtuse for the sake of it (like say, Pynchon can be). I doubt I'll ever read Finnegan's Wake but not because I don't think it would be worthwhile but because I don't have the intellectual cojones or focus.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I read Dubliners and then Portrait of the Artist. Every year I say I'll get round to at least the next one but I never do. Maybe Ulysses in 2012 - and Proust as well for that matter. The first two were good anyway.

STN

sou'wester
Yeaah do it. Dubliners and Portrait are both amazing. Got about 90 pages into Ullysses before I had to turn to other things for school, but what I recall of it was pretty readable, certainly not just obtuse for the sake of it (like say, Pynchon can be). I doubt I'll ever read Finnegan's Wake but not because I don't think it would be worthwhile but because I don't have the intellectual cojones or focus.

Ulysses goes mental at around p. 120.

mistersloane

Not dodged it babe, just gettin it together now. It's only a breakdown of like the first four paragraphs though. Up in a bit

mistersloane

Finnegan's Wake, first two paragraphs, broken down.

So there's a river, right, which represents the river Liffey in Dublin and also the eternal goddess and man like Joyce also refers to Adam and Eve to impress the importance of the story we're about to read, it's heavy shit like the Bible and that. Man references stuff like where he got his inspiration from - the Viconian cycle by Giambattista Vico - and suggests that this river (hence the book that we are readin, and life itself) will bring us back to our path, which is our own inevitable re-destruction of ourselves and also of HCE, who is the protagonist of this book, and also the city of Dublin itself. It's like Battlestar Galactica.

Then man fucks with tenses so that we are again travelling through a history which has happened before. He talks about Sir Tristram, another main theme of the book and a big reason for him writing it cos he wanted to fuck his daughter but couldnt say it outright so had to cloak it all in modernism. Then he starts talking about Ireland at the time of the Anglo-Norman conquest and America. Our protagonist - who isn't actually there yet - breeds alot and gets some money from somewhere. Then the great goddess declares herself to be alive - she's also the river, remember? - cos he invades her with his eternal spunk. He's talking about the movement of man across continents and through the ages.
Then a big bolt of lightning crashes out and knocks Finnegan off a ladder.

The End.

Last edited:

grizzleb

Had a good chuckle at that. One a day would be a good pace, get through it in a few (?) years maybe. Had another look at the first few pages, messed my head up.

samdiamond

Read Ulysses about a year ago. It was amazing. I'd like to give Finnegan's Wake a go when i've got time.

When I read Ulysses I read a guide before each chapter and then tried to read it all straight. I probably missed loads of stuff but I found it a good way to do it. I'd also recommend reading Derrida's Ulysses Gramophone.

sabacco

can someone recomend me a good guide for Ulysses? I've read Dubliners and Portrait, but there are so many allusions in his work, and I feel like I missed a ton in Portrait. So I want a good guide before I start with Ulysses.

mistersloane

can someone recomend me a good guide for Ulysses? I've read Dubliners and Portrait, but there are so many allusions in his work, and I feel like I missed a ton in Portrait. So I want a good guide before I start with Ulysses.

Not sure about what reader, sorry - I just read it and skipped over bits I didn't understand and enjoyed it that way, but can see why you wouldn't want to. Careful what edition you buy, I think it's the 1961 one you want, others have been cut and they're not the full thing. A quick look says the Kindle version isn't the full version, which is shocking, and the Project Gutenberg version is the 1922 one, which isn't full either. I didn't know e-books were doing that, that makes me sad.

There's info here :

http://infinitezombies.wordpress.com/2010/06/25/which-edition-of-ulysses-is-best/

Last edited: