Mysteries of Lisbon

IdleRich

IdleRich
Man, I'm hard for this. Anyone seen it yet? Also, am I being totally stupid or is it only on at the Curzon in London and only on this week?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Only at the Curzon, probably due to 4 and a half hour length. Saw a trailer for it last week though, and 'Paolo Coelho' came to mind, though probably only because of the Portguese thing and I'm being unfair. Have met Clothilde Hesme (dunno who she plays), she's very nice, and impressed me vastly by both knowing who Amos Kollek is and being due to work with Lodge Kerrigan.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Coelho? Surely not. The Raul Ruiz films I've seen are the exact opposite - dark and unexplained mysteries rather than simplistic and comforting homilies without any real substance.

bruno

est malade
which ones do you recommend, rich? i feel so pathetic asking you, and a vulture having feasted on the matta exhibition and now this, but you have to be dead to be taken notice of here. to be fair i have seen the expropriation, which i thought was interesting, and the proust adaptation, not so much, so i am ambivalent with some reason.

bruno

est malade
thank you. i meant that in the sense of being chilean and not very familiar with ruiz, i suppose there is a better word.

slowtrain

I had never heard of this director. These films sound good.

I will watch some.

Thank you for this thread.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ah, I've obviously got Coelho wrong, he's bad in a different way to the one I thought (haven't read any, just going off what others have said, but I think I may be misremembering what they said/confusing him with someone else).

IIRC, the trailer did make it look like a horribly self-conscious arthouse film, but trailers can often not be trusted.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Trailer seemed to have a number of long clips from a few scenes which seemed a bit of a strange way to give a flavour of a film of that length (if that's what trailers are intended to do).