Book Works

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyone know anything about this publisher? Do they have a physical shop or is it just online? Any information welcome thanks.

you

dont think they have a shop, they're pretty small, but great, I wanted to work for them a while back....

you

Yeah, very very nice books too! Cool formats and paper and materials

Why you ask?

you

i'll probably apply too, let me know how you get on dude - best of luck and all...

you

possibly not! My last application I listed one of their authors as my reference and I didn't get an interview....

john eden

male pale and stale
I think they may have had a kind of gallery near Spitalfields at some point but I might be getting confused. It may have been called "Work For The Eye To Do".

Book Works published Stewart Home's last novel "Blood Rites of the Bourgeoisie" and he has edited a series of experimental novels for them too, called Semina I think.

They were also going to publish a Kodwo Eshun book.

They are on the arty/experimental side but seem very interesting. Good luck with the applications!

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thanks mate! I've read this book on the Semina imprint

and I noticed this on their website

Which, I have to say, looks really good. I might have to read that.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So, how did you get on You? Turns out I didn't even make the short-list. And when I asked for feedback they said "sorry, we don't give feedback to people who didn't make the shortlist".

craner

Beast of Burden
I applied for a job at the Notting Hill Record & Tape Exchange in 1999, and they made me do a three part written test which I, needless to say, failed miserably. Wankers.

craner

Beast of Burden
I also applied for a job in their bookshop at the same time, and their phone interview consisted entirely of questions about Marvel and DC comics. I couldn't believe it, but then I was nice and naive in those golden days.

john eden

male pale and stale
Tough times, sorry to hear it Rich. I guess that's a dream place to work for a lot of people tho.

Ditto record and tape / MVE. No disrespect to the lovely people on Dissensus who DID pass their test and work there, but said test clearly doesn't filter out people who are complete cunts.

MVE has some great staff but it is also the last bastion of the sneering record shop guy.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Looks like you're right, apparently they had more than ninety applicants. Oh well.
MVE - too many horror stories, I travelled all the way from Swindon to London to go for an interview only to be told when I got there that there wasn't a vacancy after all.

you

Looks like you're right, apparently they had more than ninety applicants. Oh well.
MVE - too many horror stories, I travelled all the way from Swindon to London to go for an interview only to be told when I got there that there wasn't a vacancy after all.

Sup rich - same here, my ref was someone they published and I was in touch with a current employee through facebook..... worth a shot though always