rolling pop thread 2012

rubberdingyrapids

i like lana del rey (this is a late admission, i know). well i like video games. everything else seems a bit overproduced. will wait til the album comes out but i wouldnt be surprised if video games is the only knockout song she has. everything else is decent enough, but not too memorable. great persona/image - whether she made it herself or not - though. small town americana never gets old.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Listening to it when I clicked on the thread. I think Blue Jeans is up to the same standard. Could both fit well into a Lee Hazlewood mix.

Having watched Twin Peaks recently, i can confirm the correctness of your last sentiment.

rubberdingyrapids

theres something that seems a bit 90s about some of her production actually.

thought the same watching girl with the dragon tattoo last night when trent reznor and karen o's led zep cover came on. has a great cyber wallop to it, quite early 00s/late 90s.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
yeah, i think it's more immediate than video games (tho not necessarily better).

in the spirit of zeitgeisty pop, what do people make of this:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/nov/17/drake-take-care-review

Rarely seen such a dismissive review in the mainstream press of an album that is by any measure an 'event'. I'm not saying he's completely wrong, but it also seems to be coming from that 'if only black pop were as deep as white pop' place I really dislike - but maybe I'm wrong, for all I know he champions loads of black pop, and it is true that Drake and the Dream have had some narcissistic/self-pity-overload moments recently. PS Don't know the album's lyrics well at all. PPS I still don't understand the mechanism by which Drake (ex child TV star) and Rick Ross (ex law enforcement) became two of the biggest rappers, when perceived 'realness' is still so vaunted (or maybe it's not any longer in north America).

Last edited:

e/y

Macpherson is a big rnb fan afaik, so I think the popular / critical success and elevation of Drake / the Weeknd to the main faces of rnb irks him quite a lot. I don't really listen to rnb (except for stuff I heard in school 10 years ago, heh), so I don't know how correct he is wrt to 'real' rnb v the indie type, but I don't think it's a white vs black pop thing.

I think you're right about the immediacy of Blue Jeans, baboon. also, the fact that she / her label have (seemingly) pissed off a lot of rock / indie writers obsessed with authenticity really amuses me.

rubberdingyrapids

that review is just a reaction to all the critical mainstream love hes been getting. but even as someone whos been a bit hesitant to get on the drake/weekend bandwagon, take care is really immense. def one of my favourite albums of the last few years. i dont think drake can be considered like the weekend, as someone making R&B for indie kids, just cos hes such a big part of mainstream rap and R&B. he might do a song with jamie xx, but its for R&B/hip hop fans, hes not desperate for the p4k crowd. he doesnt need them.

CrowleyHead

All her songs are trite as fuck and she sucks, in my opinion.

I don't even give a shit about "Is she authentic, is she an arch-schemer", because those songs are plodding, and retarded.

I'd be more eloquent, it's just... I'll take the egotism and delusion and emotional stuntedness of black pop over.... THIS any day.

computer_rock

yeah, i think it's more immediate than video games (tho not necessarily better).

in the spirit of zeitgeisty pop, what do people make of this:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/nov/17/drake-take-care-review

I think it's probably quite difficult to write a 1 star review in <200 words so I think he should be cut some slack. However not really sure what this is about:
Drake is insipid as a singer; the low point comes on Crew Love, when he and the Weeknd moan aimlessly about their first-world problems.

Starts off criticising his ability and ends up making a pretty questionable judgement about content - 'first-world problems'? Is this a valid crit? What other kind of problems is Drake gonna have?

computer_rock

Also lana del rey... video games seems to be pushing people's buttons but I can see the album actually being a bit of a flop (i'm sure i'll end up eating my words)

This for example

sounds a bit... confused, production wise. Sort of halfway between the epic, power sweeps of ie video games and pumping techno minimalism... doesn't work for me at all.

also i'd be genuinely interested to know what happened to her lip. it'd be pretty dark if that was part of her alleged reconstruction as a commercially successful singer.......

slowtrain

I like Video Games but Blue Jeans and the rest seem a bit dull and yeah, plodding is a good word. And not plodding in a good way.

I'm sort of waiting for the white-person-faux-gangsta fad to drop out tbh.

EDIT: After a relisten, Video Games is kinda boring too.

Funnily enough, a girl that I went to high school with is now a famous pop singer, and I never even knew. She sucks though.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5XjNlpe7hII" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow, way to make me feel really stink about my shitty life.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

glad to see Dissensus shows no signs of losing its edge in 2012

I expect better of Dissensus than to care for utterly shit music.

There is absolutely NOTHING redeeming about her. Mediocre vocalist, trite lyrics, she's not even attractive, glorification of white-trash culture. It's like Katy Perry without even a hint of catchiness.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Fair enough you don't like it, but to say there's not a hint of catchiness seems wilfully contrary. I don't like Katy Perry, but yep, I can admit her songs are catchy. Whether either is attractive is highly irrelevant, but I'll take it that was just rhetorical.

"glorification of white-trash culture" seems a bit problematic too! What's wrong with so-called 'white trash' culture (which is to me pretty much like someone saying that a UK singer "glorifies 'chav' culture"; also, all of country music and its derivatives comes from so-called 'white trash' in the States), number one, and number two, I think it's a very different aesthetic that she's tapping into anyway, that small-town Americana/Lynchian thing as has already been said.

As for the utterly shit music thing, you have seen the post-dubstep thread? ;)

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

i like the version of video games that keeps playing in my head, as if it was sung by kate bush/bonnie tyler.
even if you hate her though, i think the song is still brilliant.
i think ppl should be more concerned with whether she will inspire more women to go and get freakish /borderline botched-looking, yet oddly compelling/attractive lip jobs.

Last edited:

sgn

Speaking of Lana Del Ray (shouldn't this thread just be titled Lana Del Ray?) and versions of Video Games, anyone seen this? Skip to the 40 sec mark:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value=""><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Released in 1991.

Last edited: