Joe Orton

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've always had a kind of back-of-my-mind interest in this British playwright without actually seeing many of his plays. It seems a good time to bring him up now that the books he and Kenneth Halliwell defaced at Islington library are going on display

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/oct/14/joe-orton-defaced-library-books

Incredibly they went to jail and were then fined for this horrendous crime which was detected with the help of undercover librarians from other libraries (I'm not joking) and a spurious note about an abandoned car that was sent to them in order to see if their typewriter matched the one used to anotate the library books.
Anyway, I've read Orton's diaries (published postumously of course as the frank accounts of child-buggery in Morocco and his liaisons in the Holloway Road public toilets would have surely been enough to put him away again at a time when homosexuality was still a crime) and I've just read Prick Up Your Ears, a biography that takes the diary as a basis and fleshes it out with lots of stuff from other people and accounts of what was going on at the time in England. I really enjoyed it. The title came from a mooted Orton project and is of course an anagram and almost a homonym of Prick Up Your Arse.
I've read Head To Toe (I think it's called) which is a kind of surreal fantasy novel about a person who has adventures on the body of a giant where different tribes live in different areas and make war on each other. I've also seen a film adaptation of Entertaining Mr Sloane (and a very fucked up version of The Erpingham Camp) but Prick Up Your Ears has really whetted my appetite for the other plays, particularly What The Butler Saw - does anyone know if there are good film versions of any of them available?
I know at least one other poster will know a lot more than I do about him but any advice welcome. Also, is he still relevant? A lot of his stuff was a reaction to the hypocrisy and stuffiness of sixties England and a lot of it played on identity and gender roles. Now that this is no longer shocking, does it still have value?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
There's a film version of Loot, and apparently a later (87 or something) film version of 'Butler' but haven't seen that. The Loot film, is, meh...he's a hard dramatist to capture, I think.

I've only seen a couple of good performances of his plays - Loot at the Lyric in the 90s which was just unbelievable, I thought the guy in front of me was going to have a heart attack, literally - what Orton said about locking the audience in the auditorium and shooting them kinda came true - and there was a Butler at the National about 10 years back I think which was equally good. He's very good at momentum when it's performed right, you get this weird giddiness from nothing making sense. When it's done badly it's just the worst thing in the world.

I said this about him a while back in an interview :

"Orton was the enfant terrible of the 60s’ “angry young men.” He’s probably best known now for being bludgeoned to death with a hammer by his lover. His published diaries are very sexually explicit, so his life has been remembered much more than his work. I’d reiterate that the sole reason for doing this project was a random act, but from that, I’ve looked at different meanings of what I’m doing and how it pans out. Orton’s work isn’t remembered so much; it’s been castrated and when his work is displayed in theatres, it’s very reactionary, it’s always set in the 60s, it’s always given a particular time frame—which isn’t necessarily the case. He’s been linked with the 60s forevermore. By my taking his work and reworking it, it places it back within the experimental tradition from which he came. "

and I think that still stands, his biography - and the biography of alot of queers, by necessity I guess, tends to overshadow their work - there's a political angle for that as well I think but that's for another place - but his biographical narrative is so strong that it tends to be the most important thing about him now. I wonder what he would have thought about that.

I'm not sure he was brilliant but he certainly has the ability to be very, very funny. I didn't like Head to Toe much and there have been re-issues of earlier volumes of his collaborative work with Halliwell but I haven't bothered with them, I sorta overdosed on him as you can imagine.

My favourite play of his is The Ruffian on The Stair, it's kindof a Ghosts of the Civil Dead type scenario - one agent of chaos gets thrown into a mix - and it's a very sweet, tender play given its underlying violence. I really like that one, and although I havent seen it or read it for a while I think it would still stand.

I'm not sure he's still relevant, no, it's very hard to re-imagine him, he kinda got pickled by productions of his productions. Or pickled by the powers that be, depending on how paranoid you are.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well yeah, I do think he's relevant really, otherwise I wouldn't have started the thread. It's the tantalising bits of script (and re-writes) that you get in Prick Up Your Ears that have really whetted my appetite to see proper productions of his stuff. The "agent of chaos" thing is talked about a lot in the book and apparently occurs in a lot of the plays. One of them was based on this guy I think

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Challenor

For a long time Challenor was the golden boy of the press until it was revealed that hiis incredible string of results was due to planting evidence, beating suspects until they confessed and generally fitting people up for crimes they didn't commit.
Oh yeah, you're right about the way he died overshadowing his life of course, I didn't mention it in the first thing to try and steer away from that but of course anyone who knows who he is knows about that anyway.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Well yeah, I do think he's relevant really, otherwise I wouldn't have started the thread. It's the tantalising bits of script (and re-writes) that you get in Prick Up Your Ears that have really whetted my appetite to see proper productions of his stuff. The "agent of chaos" thing is talked about a lot in the book and apparently occurs in a lot of the plays. One of them was based on this guy I think

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Challenor

For a long time Challenor was the golden boy of the press until it was revealed that hiis incredible string of results was due to planting evidence, beating suspects until they confessed and generally fitting people up for crimes they didn't commit.
Oh yeah, you're right about the way he died overshadowing his life of course, I didn't mention it in the first thing to try and steer away from that but of course anyone who knows who he is knows about that anyway.

Yeah I always really loved Challenor's 'Boo the Queen?' line.

I always thought it was interesting that McLaren/Westwood had those Orton 'Prick UP Your Ears' T-shirts. There's a good website here :

http://rockpopfashion.com/blog/?p=79

about those with some links to other good sites.

It's just so hard to separate - and I guess one shouldn't try - but to separate out Orton the writer from Orton the IT, I mean his life as documented was just so immense that I find it hard.

Why do you think he's still relevant, Rich, anyone?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ha, good question. Maybe partly because he didn't have a chance to get old, make weaker work diluting what he did before and become part of the establishment. Although I hate that answer.