PDA

View Full Version : game of gnomes tv show

Pages : [1] 2

luka
05-01-2012, 11:55 PM
i watchd the whole first season in three days. its much better than the wire. i love it. its amazing. i cant wait for seaeson two. im going to buy book 2 and read it all.

luka
06-01-2012, 12:01 AM
and this is coming from someone that loaths the mythology of the english north and would happily see everything north of birmingham declare independence and fuck right off. i like brummie accents so im hanging onto the midlands.

you
06-01-2012, 12:09 AM
game of thrones! Ha, yeah, it's quite good - carcetti is badass.

luka
06-01-2012, 12:16 AM
which one was carcetti? was he the dacing master? i loved him.

luka
06-01-2012, 12:17 AM
o was it the slimy brothel owner. im very bad with names.

IdleRich
06-01-2012, 12:58 AM
http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/65474989.html

luka
06-01-2012, 01:16 AM
You will witness effeminate men having sex in bathtubs while speaking about dragons

thanks rich!

slowtrain
06-01-2012, 02:41 AM
Been considering picking this up from the library, and that link has made me definitely write it down.

Summer - finish watching Carnivale
Winter - watch Game of Thrones

Benny B
06-01-2012, 05:23 AM
cool, i was thinking of starting a thread about game of thrones.

I started reading this book over xmas after seeing a couple of the tv episodes and am completely gripped. I think its bloody great which is saying a lot from someone who's steered well clear of fantasy stuff since i was 14.

My fave character is Tyrion the dwarf because of his sardonic wit but you've also gotta love the Dothraki horselord! Sean Bean is perfect for Lord Stark.

I notice the book is nowhere near as racy as the TV show in which they seem to have invented some lesbian sex scenes etc and ramped up the swearing. Still, can't wait to finish the book then watch the whole series.

luka
06-01-2012, 05:25 AM
the dwarf is such a great character. i love him. great performance.

luka
06-01-2012, 05:26 AM
so many wonderfully rugged men. sean bean is outruggeded by quite a few of the cast. thats impressive.

luka
06-01-2012, 05:28 AM
i want to be a cross between drogo and the dwarf. drogo has the big brow ridge formed by mighty levels of testosterone. the dwarf has all the best lines and delivers them with aplomb. i love the fencing master too. i love stock characters played properly, to the hilt without apology or irony.

droid
06-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Im warning you now. The first three boks are great, the 4th is OK, but the 5th takes a serious nosedive in quality. Also, judging by the time its taken him to write the last two, it'll be at least 2020 before all seven books are finished.

you
06-01-2012, 10:36 AM
http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0245982/ this is carcetti

he gives a great monologue over a sex scene before getting cross and telling them he doesn't believe it! Hilarious.

Benny B
06-01-2012, 04:52 PM
http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0245982/ this is carcetti

he gives a great monologue over a sex scene before getting cross and telling them he doesn't believe it! Hilarious.

This is one of the bits they must have invented for the tv series, there's no smoking hot lesbian ass-play in the book. Littlefinger is just as much a horrible cunt though.

I just finished the book today and, as good as it is, i don't think i'll move on to the second one straight away cos they're so long and absorbing, i cant justify the time right now. I feel like a complete nerd reading fantasy again after so long away from it.

Martin is a brilliant writer though, anyone else here read his Sandkings short story collection. Really good, nasty sci-fi shockers.

Droid, you're the third person to tell me that its all downhill after the third book, guess it must be true.

Corpsey
06-01-2012, 10:39 PM
I can't wait for the second series. I watched the first in one night and then persuaded my housemates to watch the first episode... we watched the whole series in one night. When that big thing happened to you know who they reacted so angrily it was really funny, they were AFFRONTED. And we all had a little cry.

I then read the book. Very enjoyable and gripping but sometimes find his writing very weak, stylistically. I'm not sure that matters with this sort of book, though. I mean, the TV series is so cheesy at points and I don't really care.

Tyrion is THE MAN.

Baelish is the second MOST MAN.

droid
07-01-2012, 12:37 AM
I can't wait for the second series. I watched the first in one night and then persuaded my housemates to watch the first episode... we watched the whole series in one night. When that big thing happened to you know who they reacted so angrily it was really funny, they were AFFRONTED. And we all had a little cry.

I then read the book. Very enjoyable and gripping but sometimes find his writing very weak, stylistically. I'm not sure that matters with this sort of book, though. I mean, the TV series is so cheesy at points and I don't really care.

Tyrion is THE MAN.

Baelish is the second MOST MAN.

Its all about Littlefinger. Im not convinced that pretty much everything that happens isnt part of his plan.

@Benny - the 4th book is actually OK, it doesn't propel the narrative along much but it has some merits. Falls to pieces in the 5th in almost every respect. I still think the first three are probably the best fantasy written in at least 30 years.

faustus
07-01-2012, 12:46 PM
The series was great, of course. I read the second book over christmas (I started the first, but soon found I couldn't be bothered because I knew what was going to happen), and it was... ok. Had me hooked, definitely, but probably because I was reading it on an 8-hour train journey with nothing else to do. it's hardly life-changing. Wish I'd waited for the series really, much more exciting on screen (also, wish I hadn't read a spoiler regarding you-know-what in episode 9)

luka
08-01-2012, 01:25 AM
i got the 2nd book yesterday cos i couldnt wait till april. he cant write obviously and often the prose is hilarious
'he is loath to leave the warm burrow between her thighs'
its too early to say if the narrative makes up for it. i assume it will. gnerally tho i think this sort of thing works much better with actors who can bring the stock characters and terrible dialouge to life.

Mr. Tea
08-01-2012, 01:50 AM
I haven't seen any new TV in ages so I just watched the first ep. Pretty good so far - I like the scenes of Ye Generycke Mediaeval Merriement and the butch-camp 'barbarians'. And the horny boozing midget. And all the tits. I'm a simple soul, really. Gonna watch some more tomorrow.

Corpsey
08-01-2012, 01:50 AM
i got the 2nd book yesterday cos i couldnt wait till april. he cant write obviously and often the prose is hilarious
'he is loath to leave the warm burrow between her thighs'

Parody quote or real quote, that's perfect.

Reminds me of Peter Bradshaw's review of The Lord Of The Rings film where he writes:

''There are a few funny lines but, as in a certain type of erotic movie, jokes are basically antipathetic to the Lord of the Rings experience. Unlike Tattooine, or Hogwarts, or even Camelot, Middle Earth is very self-important, especially when people are deadpanning lines like: "By nightfall, these hills will be swarming with orcs."

That mock-medieval solemnity... :D

I mean, that can actually be enjoyable in of itself.

When I read the first book I knew the story already so really it was this geeky thing of filling in my knowledge about the ''world of the book''. Then boasting to my friends ''oh of course ___ is ____'s third cousin on his mother's side'' etc.

Corpsey
08-01-2012, 01:51 AM
I haven't seen any new TV in ages so I just watched the first ep. Pretty good so far - I like the scenes of Ye Generycke Mediaeval Merriement and the butch-camp 'barbarians'. And the horny boozing midget. And all the tits. I'm a simple soul, really. Gonna watch some more tomorrow.

I wasn't really into the first episode until the last thirty seconds. Then I was all like ''What fucketh? Ye gods!'' and had to watch the rest. Then I was hooked.

Mr. Tea
08-01-2012, 01:57 AM
Yeah, that dude who shoves the kid - what a bastard! Good villains are essential. I shall rejoin the chat here when I've watched some more.

luka
08-01-2012, 02:00 AM
i was hooked from the opening scene. i really liked it. it reminded me of maid marion and her merry men.

luka
08-01-2012, 02:03 AM
i was 'enjoying myself' on friday night and spent the whole night and most of the morning speaking in game of gnomes language.
'we must take the comfortless blanket of night for our cover, and move only in darkness, the lanisters are everywhere, as plentiful as whores at kings landing'

Mr. Tea
08-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Oh man, this show is so fucking rad. Up to ep 4 now.

Tyrion is such a smart little fucker, loving him to bits. Daenerys has (somewhat) tamed her barbarian husband through the use of empowering sex positions. Jon Snow is proving his mettle on the Wall. The Lannisters and their snotty inbred brat are getting more enjoyably hateable with each episode. Such cool stuff.

Also I want Samwell to undergo a Private Pyle-esque transformation into a born-again hard bastard, but it's looking unlikely at present.

Corpsey
08-01-2012, 10:32 PM
I won't be giving too much away to let you know that by the end of the series you will find watching this video extremely therapeutic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxLOXUGmRKI

Corpsey
08-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Also I want Samwell to undergo a Private Pyle-esque transformation into a born-again hard bastard, but it's looking unlikely at present.

No, he basically remains an irritating twat for the entire first series (at least).

Mr. Tea
09-01-2012, 09:19 PM
King Robert is a brilliant combination of lecherous, gluttonous, drunken buffoon and just-clever-enough-to-dangerous thug. Fantastic. He's a sort of cross between

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_S5QQIdQo-5w/TOou_eGdrII/AAAAAAAAAl4/EtN9mq4O1co/s1600/BB+Blackadder.jpg and http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/04/02/tonysoprano.jpg

Mr. Tea
09-01-2012, 10:21 PM
And Arya Stark is the best pint-sized tomboy heroine since Lyra Belacqua in His Dark Materials.

Corpsey
09-01-2012, 10:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBrsM_WlfV8

http://chicktech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/homer-drool.gif

Corpsey
09-01-2012, 10:29 PM
i really liked it. it reminded me of maid marion and her merry men.

Forgot to mention that I LOVE Maid Marion and Her Merry Men.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGzYCkki8Es

luka
10-01-2012, 06:30 AM
oh thanks corpsey i was sad no one said that yet. i used to watch it with my little sister.

faustus
10-01-2012, 06:54 AM
i used to have these two books. they were amazing, especially the second one

http://www.maidmarianandhermerrymen.co.uk/_images/book_covers/Book1%20-%20HOW%20THE%20BAND%20GOT%20TOGETHER1.jpg

http://www.maidmarianandhermerrymen.co.uk/_images/book_covers/Book8%20%20-%20They%20Came%20From%20Outer%20Space!1.jpg

(in fact, now I think of it, about half the children's books and tapes I can remember were either written or narrated by tony robinson. legend)

Mr. Tea
10-01-2012, 10:45 AM
That show was brilliant. Black Adder for kids, as a mate of mine put it. BA was fucking amazing, too. The episode with Johnson's dictionary was on telly over Christmas, still funny as hell I don't know how many viewings later.

yyaldrin
10-01-2012, 11:35 AM
I hate this show. I hate elfs and orcs. I hate dwarfs and magicians. The only thing worse than dwars, elfs, orcs and the like is the thought of them having sex with each other. I only watched the first episode and it made me sick, although that might have been caused by my nostalgic thoughts about Xena the warrior princess. Which I, admittedly, liked when I was younger.

luka
10-01-2012, 11:42 AM
i made a coffee for xena once. she loved it. she was very tall and strong and was wearing white reeboks.

luka
10-01-2012, 11:43 AM
you know dwarfs are real though right?

Mr. Tea
10-01-2012, 11:56 AM
I hate this show. I hate elfs and orcs. I hate dwarfs and magicians. The only thing worse than dwars, elfs, orcs and the like is the thought of them having sex with each other. I only watched the first episode and it made me sick, although that might have been caused by my nostalgic thoughts about Xena the warrior princess. Which I, admittedly, liked when I was younger.

Thing is, apart from the first couple of minutes of the first episode, there's been nothing supernatural happen at all (I've watched like 5 or 6 eps so far). The 'dwarf' as luka points out is a bona-fide midget, not a gold-obsessed Gimli-a-like. There's the dragon chat, but they're all dead. It's just people, and not even magical people at that.

Mr. Tea
10-01-2012, 11:57 AM
i made a coffee for xena once. she loved it. she was very tall and strong and was wearing white reeboks.

The only famous person I ever served when I worked in a pub was Kevin Eldon. His face is as weird in real life as it looks on TV, I'm pleased to say.

yyaldrin
10-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Wasn't there some half-horse half-person character in it as well?

droid
10-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Yeah, there's no elves, dwarves, orcs, magicians or dragons in the TV show... yet...

luka
10-01-2012, 12:21 PM
hahaha careful uncle droid, no spoilers please!

Mr. Tea
10-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Wasn't there some half-horse half-person character in it as well?

There are men who ride horses, if that isn't too far-out and fantastickal for you. ;)

Corpsey
10-01-2012, 01:58 PM
The one thing Game of Thrones really needs (and probably can't afford) is some huge fuckoff battle sequences ala. LOTR.

I liked how they handled the battle in the series (can't talk about it as it'll spoil it), but still...

yyaldrin
10-01-2012, 02:00 PM
There are men who ride horses, if that isn't too far-out and fantastickal for you. ;)

Hm, I guess you're right. I thought there was some Indian looking half-horse half-person, he had make-up on and looked angry all the time, I think he was on the verge of raping some sort of white virgin princess.

Corpsey
10-01-2012, 02:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHVh-Ha7hPs

@ luka

droid
10-01-2012, 02:52 PM
The one thing Game of Thrones really needs (and probably can't afford) is some huge fuckoff battle sequences ala. LOTR.

I liked how they handled the battle in the series (can't talk about it as it'll spoil it), but still...

Yeah... read an interview with GRRM recently discussing the battle in 'a clash of kings' and how, because of money issues, they just cant do LOTR style battle scenes - even though they have a pretty big budget.

Corpsey
10-01-2012, 04:31 PM
I suppose its not completely necessary, as there's so much intrigue/drama in the non-battle storylines. Also I suppose since its a TV series the emphasis is less on spectacle than in a film. I like watching the LOTR battles on TV but they really came into their own on a big screen.

Mr. Tea
11-01-2012, 11:13 AM
I can't quite shake the conviction that Khal Drogo must at some point have been a member of System Of A Down...

Regarding epic battles and such, I think the great thing about GoT is that the sense of epicness comes from the scale of what's at stake - the throne of not just one kingdom, but seven! - and the massive complexity of the plot, as well as the incredibly brave/devious/cruel/mental things the characters are prepared to do to further their agenda, whatever it is. So massive battles, although cool to watch, are a bit redundant. It's not like TLOTR where it's all Colossal Army Of Absolute Good vs. Even Colossaler Army Of Absolute Evil.

luka
15-01-2012, 01:40 AM
as a londoner i do really resent the equation of The North with moral probity.

Mr. Tea
15-01-2012, 03:24 PM
as a londoner i do really resent the equation of The North with moral probity.

Ties in with the obnoxious "Yorkshire = honesty" meme beloved of basically every advertising firm in the UK, as bitched about extensively in several other threads.

But back to GoT: fuck me, Joffrey is a proper little Caligula-in-the-making, isn't he? Can't wait for him to get his comeuppance. Preferably from one of the Stark girls.

Dr Awesome
15-01-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm halfway through the first book.
I fear I should I stick with the novel first would as starting on the TV series (I know I've watched whole series of The Wire in 24hrs) likely lead to my abandonment of a decent book.

Off topic slightly:
Must also admit I've recently discovered the appendix at the back of the book which makes all the names a damn-sight more easy.
I agree with Luka that some of the editing/writing is pretty poor.

luka
16-01-2012, 07:07 AM
i couldnt read more than a couple of chapters but my girlfriend is deep into it and starting to complain about the way women are treated/depicted.
lots of gang rapes, whores and lady macbeths.

Mr. Tea
16-01-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm sure prostitution was pretty rife in mediaeval society but it does seem scarcely five minutes goes by without one character or another screwing a whore. That said, the TV series at least does have some pretty good female characters I think, though I can't compare it to the books.

luka
16-01-2012, 11:04 AM
oh she loved the tv series its what made her read the books. just want to make that clear.

luka
17-01-2012, 04:58 AM
Ties in with the obnoxious "Yorkshire = honesty" meme beloved of basically every advertising firm in the UK, as bitched about extensively in several other threads

its deeper than that tho. its about the protestant north. northern europe. the association of cold with hard work and moral uprightness.

vimothy
17-01-2012, 03:20 PM
I didn't think I would enjoy this show, but it's actually great. Got hooked after two episodes, then watched the whole thing in a couple of days. I was pretty annoyed to discover that only the first series is out though.

At the moment, I'm watching Breaking Bad, which I also didn't think I would enjoy but has me hooked.

luka
29-01-2012, 05:19 AM
http://tumblr.com/ZoWPfx3z4e6N
TIS THE GREATEST OF ALL THE TUMBLRS

baboon2004
29-01-2012, 10:09 AM
its deeper than that tho. its about the protestant north. northern europe. the association of cold with hard work and moral uprightness.

well and also the equation of the last two with each other. how i hate protestantism, the official religion of modern-day capitalism. there's enough for everyone to live a wonderfully carefree life if we share, so what are we gonna do? oh yes, continue working 40 hours a week. why? er, not sure, because it's morally better or something. anyways, you're late for work.

luka
29-01-2012, 10:18 AM
its gonna get much worse. i had to tell off a customer the other day. she was trying to tell me julia gillard was ruining the aus economy by introducing too many regulations. like you want your kids to be chimney sweeps.

Mr. Tea
29-01-2012, 11:26 AM
how i hate protestantism, the official religion of modern-day capitalism.

It's hardly unique to northern Europe/north America though, I mean look at the Far East - I bet a lot of people there would love to work a 'mere' 40 hour week. Or maybe they wouldn't, I dunno. The famous Japanese work ethic, and all that.

Mr. Tea
29-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for enjoyable laziness as much as the next right-thinking person.

Mr. Tea
29-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Enjoying it almost as much on a second watching. Can't help but think the Dothraki feast is probably a bit like Burning Man. Cept they'd probably have DMT-infused tofu instead of a raw horse's heart.

Corpsey
01-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Yes - is it racist that I cringe every time they call each other ''my moon and stars'' or whatever it is? Oh, and the way they call ships ''wooden horses'' or something.

The DVD is out next week, and I'll probably get it. Just because I want to listen to all the commentaries like a complete geek.

Mr. Tea
01-03-2012, 11:57 AM
To be fair, a lot of the 'European' characters have dialogue of a pretty similar standard.

And people do make up funny compound names for things they're not familiar with. The French still call spuds 'earth apples' and the Germans call gloves 'hand shoes'. Lol, silly forriners!

droid
01-03-2012, 12:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X66PDW1Mjf8

Mr. Tea
01-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Oh god I think I just did a little bit of wee.

Corpsey
02-03-2012, 12:34 AM
*slobbers*

I wish I hadn't seen Peter Dinklage in that 'Station Agent' film. He was excellent in it but now when Tyrion speaks I can hear precisely how dodgy his English accent is.

Tangential point: what is it about the medieval which has such a powerful attraction for nerds? Is it the beards?

Corpsey
03-04-2012, 10:24 PM
It's back.

I can't watch it til next week cos I have to wait for my housemate not to be working night shifts. :mad:

droid
03-04-2012, 10:48 PM
FYI, HBO are showing it a week in advance in a few EU countries on their pay to view service, so you can get the episodes a weke in advance. Just waiting on a chance to watch the first two at the mo.

Corpsey
05-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Watched the first episode. Gaaahd I love it.

I should have waited until the season ended cos now I can't wait for episode two without gibbering.

Corpsey
05-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Thanks droid. I've got episode 2 now.

The questions I now have to confront

1. should i sell out my working housemate and watch it before he gets a chance to?

2. should i wait for a high quality video to come out?

I watched the first season in semi-shit quality. Watched the first episode tonight in pristine HD quality on a flatscreen TV and it really made a big difference. You suddenly see how big the budget must be.

3. How much am I willing to pay for a Baelish outfit?

http://www.accesshollywood.com/content/images/143/400x400bd/143622_aidan-gillen-as-peter-littlefinger-baelish-and-sean-bean-as-eddard-ned-star-in-hbos-game-of-thrones-.jpg

Mr. Tea
25-04-2012, 09:36 AM
So, what do we all make of Series 2 so far?

Joffrey Baratheon, fucking hell. That boy needs therapy! By which I mean, a couple of centuries of continuous torture. Can't remember another TV character that's this much fun to hate. That scene with Ros and the other working girl...jesus, actually really chilling.

In fact I'm almost wondering if they haven't overdone Joffrey's evilness a little bit. It's not just that he's evil, he's also clearly as mad as a spoon - people who are cruel and manipulative but at least basically sane (e.g. Cersei) are to an extent predictable because they act in their own long-term interest, but if I were Varys or Baelish I'd be thinking very carefully about how long it might be before Joffrey turned on me...

luka
25-04-2012, 10:49 AM
enjoyed it up to the last one which as i said to you was a bit too werido sadoporn for my tastes.

zhao
03-05-2012, 05:53 PM
http://www.accesshollywood.com/content/images/143/400x400bd/143622_aidan-gillen-as-peter-littlefinger-baelish-and-sean-bean-as-eddard-ned-star-in-hbos-game-of-thrones-.jpg

is it me or does his haircut look a bit too... contemporary?

Mr. Tea
03-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Nah, I reckon slapheads have been around since forever.

zhao
03-05-2012, 11:57 PM
yer probably right.

conniving, deceitful, back-stabbing middle-management cunts certainly have been around for ever...

zhao
04-05-2012, 06:03 AM
but it seems to me that they took quite a bit of liberty with some of the costume design, if not the hair: some of the outfits, including the one pictured here, have a sharpish, smart and dapper contemporary look, which i'm not certain is exactly historically accurate.

and some of the other stuff like dance moves and what not. yes, first shot of the Dothraki dinner party i yelled "burners!" :)

Mr. Tea
04-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Yeah the costumes look a bit contemporary but they got the dragons and magic spot on, I reckon.

But yes, I made the Dothraki/BM connection too. I also think they're a bit nu-metal. The hill tribes, OTOH, couldn't be any more Monty Python if they went around yelling "Ni!".

droid
04-05-2012, 10:01 AM
They've taken quite a few liberties with book 2 in this season - compressed the narrative, removed several threads and charcters and reduced the scale. Also, there are no gay sex scenes in any of the books.

This is funny:

http://gawker.com/5902076/snl-explains-the-nudity-in-game-of-thrones

blacktulip
08-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Got sucked in a little thanks to all the furs and leathers.

Best line so far: "Yer a shit warrior."

Mr. Tea
08-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Jon Snow pioneers the 'hatespoon' in the most recent episode.

blacktulip
08-05-2012, 01:11 PM
http://www.sellebrity.org.uk/uploads/celebrity-images/14.jpg

blacktulip
11-05-2012, 11:48 AM
New best line so far: "There's no cure for being a cunt."

Corpsey
12-05-2012, 06:40 PM
I can't quite work out if the actors are bad in Game of Thrones or if its the dialogue.

Either way, I still love the show. The theme tune stirs my soul so much I will sometimes get out of bed to watch it on a real TV rather than my laptop.

I like the way it isn't panning out at all as I'd expect. The way character arcs are suddenly extinguished or just fall apart always keeps things interesting.

New favourite character = Tywin Lannister.

Corpsey
12-05-2012, 06:50 PM
http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2012/04/Game-Of-Thrones-Warlock-1335807054.jpg

[SPOILER...

Theon Greyjoy, also - the path from unknowingly fingering your sister to ineptly lopping off your former protectors head is an extraordinarily slippy one. :eek:

/SPOILER]

Mr. Tea
15-05-2012, 08:20 AM
So Hoxton Xenon Zelda and his gimpy bald mate turn out to be sneaky duplicitous shits. Whoda thunkit?

Mr. Tea
15-05-2012, 08:43 AM
New favourite character = Tywin Lannister.

Yeah, Charles Dance is the fucking man. He was great in Last Action Hero, too.

luka
15-05-2012, 10:54 AM
he was great from his first scene though, gutting a stag with his bare hands.

droid
15-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Disappointed at the lack of Tyrion's chain, the curtailing of Jon Snow's epic flight with Qhorin, Arya's new position and the lack of menace and horror in Harrenhal and the general decomplexificaiton this season. They have to simplify things of course, but there are limits before it starts to eat away at the narrative... book 2 really expanded the scale of the world, and I think some of that has been lost.

Mr. Tea
15-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Tywin is obviously meant to be pretty smart so I'm having a slightly hard time believing he hasn't figured out who his anonymous cup-bearer is yet. And she had a very lucky escape not being recognized by Littlefinger, didn't she?

Having said that, Tywin and Arya verbally sparring with each other is pretty cool.

I like that Shae tried to protect Sansa, though ultimately to no avail.

Also, can't poor Jon Snow do anything right?

Corpsey
15-05-2012, 07:23 PM
he was great from his first scene though, gutting a stag with his bare hands.

Yes!

I think he's quite a similar character to Tyrion really, the way he bosses everybody around him and basically seems cleverer than them too. Him turning up at Harenhall and essentially knocking the torturers heads together was like Tyrion having the chief of the goldcloaks (or whatever they're called) arrested. Real Bawse behaviour.

Just downloading episode 7 now. Bought the book today its ruddy huge.

Corpsey
16-05-2012, 12:01 AM
I like the way everything's getting nastier and nastier, and there were some great scenes in the latest episode but I feel like this series has been somehow less satisfying than the first because SO MUCH is going on, its difficult to fully engage with any of the many, many storylines. I suppose there were quite a few storylines going on in the first series too but it felt much more concentrated. I suppose this is the problem with adapting a 1000 page book as a ten hour TV show.

luka
16-05-2012, 10:53 AM
im liking this series more i think. the nastiness i find quite shocking. is it normal for modern tv shows? the only other thing ive watched in the last 10 years is the wire.

droid
16-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Not nasty enough by half. They seem to have edited out the Goat of Harrenhal and his bloody mummers... at least for this season.

Mr. Tea
16-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Not nasty enough by half.

Needs more mace-rape.

droid
16-05-2012, 02:13 PM
So you HAVE been reading the books.

Mr. Tea
16-05-2012, 03:47 PM
So you HAVE been reading the books.

Uh no, just recalling (with a wince) what Joffrey made Ros do to that poor hooker a couple of episodes ago... :eek:

droid
16-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Uh no, just recalling (with a wince) what Joffrey made Ros do to that poor hooker a couple of episodes ago... :eek:

You have an overactive imagination. AFAICT that was a traditional mace beating, not a mace rape.

Mr. Tea
16-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Hmm. It seemed fairly obvious to me that that's what's meant to have happened, and it would hardly be out of character for young Joffers.

baboon2004
16-05-2012, 05:56 PM
I literally have no idea what anyone is talking about on this thread, but this site is the most hassle-free I've found for easy catch-up on episodes of all the major shows, thought it worth sharing:

http://watchfreefullepisodes.com/watch-game-of-thrones-season-2-episode-1.html

Watched all of Homeland in about two days, which is more TV than I've watched for two years. Unfortunately it turned into a more manic '24', disappointing given a promising start.

Corpsey
16-05-2012, 09:17 PM
You have an overactive imagination. AFAICT that was a traditional mace beating, not a mace rape.

I think the implication was there but it was left ambiguous. Quite effective really, leaving it to your imagination. I thought of Joffers when reading that child psychopathy thread in 'thought'.

It's no wonder Theon believes that its better to be thought cruel than weak, with a king like Joffers in charge.

I'm starting to wonder where half the cast of GOT are from. Some of the accents are abysmal - is Jon Snow really a Northerner? There's something very forced about his accent. He's a very funny figure, with his perpetual scowl. Him and Theon are in an arms race to decide who is the biggest loser in the seven kingdoms.

blacktulip
16-05-2012, 10:15 PM
You have an overactive imagination.

Me too in that case.

Mr. Tea
16-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Kit Harington is from Worcestershire, IMDB tells me.

The accent thing is kind of strange, isn't it? Westeros is a continent, right - which should make 'The North' equivalent to Scandinavia, or even Canada. So why is it that everyone from north of some arbitrary line talks in a generic Tyke accent? If people from Winterfell sound Yorkshireish, shouldn't the Wildings sound Scottish? Or at least Geordie? (Ha, that would be wicked, wouldn't it...)

Maybe the directors considered this but then thought it would be lost on American audiences, I dunno.

With Joffrey, the basic principle seems to be that whenever you think he's about to do something horrible, think of something worse than that and that's probably what he's going to do.

droid
16-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Me too in that case.

Pervs. Both of you.

luka
17-05-2012, 08:57 AM
it was the most phallic of maces. it was heavily implied.

luka
17-05-2012, 09:01 AM
i enjoy the acting in game of gnomes. denise tarragon and her dragons i could do without. and sean beans pretty lads im not sure about, but mostly i like the cast.
tyrion, tywin, catlin, arya, joffrey, sansa, ceres' eyebrows....

Corpsey
17-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Alfie Allen as Theon is another example of an awkward accent actually. He makes up for this by having an angular face that reminds me of a dog's.

Baelish has probably got the greatest ridiculous accent of them all though.

I liked the scene in the latest episode between Tyrion and Cersei, it was very like the scene in series 1 with her and Robert. You know, the one where she showed that she wasn't just an ice-cold bitch goddess?

And I liked Jamie Lannister taunting Cersei with the TRUTH about Ned.

Mr. Tea
18-05-2012, 10:05 AM
And I liked Jamie Lannister taunting Cersei with the TRUTH about Ned.

Don't you mean the other way round? Or have I missed something?

Cersei is a great character, no doubt (eyebrows and all). As Tyrion points out, her one redeeming feature is her love for her children - we even saw a 'soft' side to her in the last one when she confided to Sansa that Joffrey is "difficult to love". As if Sansa hadn't figured that out already. She'd be too much of a cartoonish Bitch Queen From Hell without these little touches, and I think they're very well done.

Having said that, I think she's going to make good on her promise to seriously fuck Tyrion's shit up quite soon. Just as well Shae's a tough cookie, she's really gonna have to watch her back.

I hope they don't go overboard on the magic/supernatural stuff for the rest of the series, as I think it has the potential to overshadow the awesome power-politics and intrigue. Stannis's [edit: dur, Renley] death was a bit lame I thought, altogether too deux-ex-machina. Or diabolus-ex-vagina, whatever.

droid
18-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Stannis hasnt died - you mean Renly. Jaime was taunting Catelyn.

Whilst I agree that the acting in general is of a high standard, I thought the Brienne/Catelyn swearing in scene to be execrably stiff with terrible dialogue.

Mr. Tea
18-05-2012, 12:11 PM
I hereby appoint droid to the position of official Maester of Names, since the rest of us clearly don't know a Tyrell from a Tully.

Corpsey
23-05-2012, 11:18 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3rycpUJET1rutnfao1_1280.jpg

I've spent too much time on game of thrones tumblrs tonight :mad:

Corpsey
23-05-2012, 11:35 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3ofagNRJd1qciesyo1_500.gif

Corpsey
23-05-2012, 11:36 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m407v8OTUX1qztifro1_500.jpg

Corpsey
23-05-2012, 11:37 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4bzhwj2Ma1rph2upo1_1280.jpg

sighhh

isn't the internet wonderful?

droid
24-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Trailer for the next episode looks good. First proper battle scene so far - hope they do it justice.

Mercer Finn
24-05-2012, 01:30 PM
I read the first book and decided the style was so televisual that I could just save time by watching the tv show. Apparently G.R.R. Martin worked in television for a while and actually wrote some of the episodes for this as well, including the one that's coming up.

...which is directed by Neil Marshall!

blacktulip
26-05-2012, 07:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t92ukx0A2fk

blacktulip
26-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Last one made me laugh.

http://i.imgur.com/8T2eq.jpg

Mr. Tea
28-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Bronn is one of my favourite characters at the moment. He's so no-nonsense he's practically a walking pint of John Smith's but Tyrion's realized he's smart as well and is employing him as much as an adviser as as a bodyguard/henchman.

I suppose he fucked up a bit with Joffrey's 'present' but even Tyrion didn't see that one coming.

wise
29-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Me too in that case.

I also assumed that to be a mace rape scenario (possibly with a little beating on the side)

luka
29-05-2012, 08:25 AM
the only controversy is whether it was a mace or a sceptre

Mr. Tea
29-05-2012, 09:06 AM
I guess a sceptre is a sort of ceremonial mace.

luka
29-05-2012, 09:09 AM
i guess so

Corpsey
31-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Thought the battle was pretty good, considering budget/time restrictions. Particularly liked the wildfire explosion* and the Hound** in general...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4psllDUVJ1r4iruco1_1280.png

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JMEk9LQAuj0/SrsCDXS5EdI/AAAAAAAAAQs/W_HiLtmW2DY/s320/56749-27300.gif

YARP.

I've started reading the second book. It's often quite badly written but always compulsively readable. It's also great for filling in background information/atmosphere that they couldn't fit in the TV show.

p.s. Bronn is t'tits.

Corpsey
31-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Some things:

HERE BE SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY

1. Where was the fire goddess woman and/or her dark magic? Was that shadow demon thing just birthed to stab Renly? It stabbed him very well, don't get me wrong, but I'd want a bit more bang for my buck if I was Stannis.

2. I thought they were preparing for a siege lasting years (hence all the stuff about people eating each other etc.), and it all seemed to be over in a few hours. Even if Tywin hadn't turned up it seems like Stannis and co would have got through the gates within the day. I wonder if the battle lasts longer in the books?

3. Wasn't it a relief not to have any scenes with Dany and/or Jon Snow? They've really become a drag on things. Robb has been pretty marginalised this season - and when he's been in it its been a bit boring. I'm also a bit gutted that Baelish has been kept rather out of the picture. More Jamie Lannister would not have gone amiss.

I'm already sad that it's ending soon too :eek:

Mr. Tea
31-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Some things:

HERE BE SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY

1. Where was the fire goddess woman and/or her dark magic? Was that shadow demon thing just birthed to stab Renly? It stabbed him very well, don't get me wrong, but I'd want a bit more bang for my buck if I was Stannis.

Zactly. I was left thinking, why doesn't he just send it after Joffrey, Cersie, Tywin and anyone else he considers a threat or rival?

Corpsey
31-05-2012, 11:22 PM
They set it up too, with the talk between Varys and Tyrion about dark magic and ''things I wish I'd never seen!'' etc. And Stannis's tactic basically seemed to be - Normandy meets Helm's Deep.

I liked the contrast between Tyrion's lengthy (though honest/cynical) speech and Stannis's curt ''Help me take this city''.

The nature of the 'one God' Stannis started worshipping is quite oblique, isn't it? Again, I wonder if there is more of an idea of this in the book.

Corpsey
04-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Really enjoyed the last episode. Loads of enjoyable, memorable scenes and wrapped up some storylines that have been just plodding (or limping) along all season i.e. Dany's dragons. That entire storyline would have been better packed into one episode (well, maybe not - but there really wasn't much to it, was there?)...

Theon's speech was really rousing and I actually wanted him to go out like a (sort of) hero but obviously this is Game of Thrones so instead he gets wacked on the head and (presumably) sold out by his scumbag army. That's one of the things this show does so well - undercutting traditional fantasy epic cliches of heroism and honour.

Let's see - what else? Jon Snow actually does something for once - that was another storyline that seemed fairly tedious and now seems to be actually getting somewhere. Army of zombies/white walkers at end was totez awesome too, obviously.

Littlefinger has the hots for Sansa, that could be an interesting/depressing development.

Yeah I just loved most of it, actually, preferred it in fact to the much raved-about battle episode. It reminded me of why I loved the first series so much, for some reason.

And now I'm gutted that series 3 is 9 months away (I think). :(

Corpsey
04-06-2012, 10:59 PM
p.s. I suppose my question about Stannis not using magic was semi-answered this week. Basically he just thought he was going to win because she told him she'd seen it, right? So he thought it was inevitable. Also it's more of a long-game/war than he anticipated, which of course means magic can come into play in the future. Magic seems to be getting more and more pronounced in the show now - we've got zomby armies, assassins who can change their faces, warlocks etc.

droid
05-06-2012, 10:31 AM
There was another shadow baby death in the book that was taken out of this season.

And - not to spoil it, but every time they do it Stannis gets a bit of life sucked out of him.

blacktulip
05-06-2012, 10:58 AM
The little death

droid
05-06-2012, 12:16 PM
The nature of the 'one God' Stannis started worshipping is quite oblique, isn't it? Again, I wonder if there is more of an idea of this in the book.

Yeah... there's a bit of a subtext throughout about religion and changing beliefs, the old gods>>the seven>>Rhlorr.

Mr. Tea
06-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Magic seems to be getting more and more pronounced in the show now - we've got zomby armies, assassins who can change their faces, warlocks etc.

I'm not averse to fantasy per se, but does anyone else get the feeling that the supernatural stuff is in danger of overshadowing the 'straightforward' (except it's not, of course) naturalistic themes, all that love/honour/betrayal/revenge/war/politics/sex etc.?

I thought the last episode was good but a bit scattershot, covering as it did seven plot arcs in one hour. The rift in the Stark camp between Robb and his dear mama is interesting, I think. And Jon Snow finally does something noteworthy and not totally shit. Couldn't help but laugh as Theon's Braveheart moment is unceremoniously cut short, but what's meant to have happened at Winterfell exactly? Surely 500 Stark men could have taken the place from 20 Greyjoy soldiers without the whole place being burnt to a cinder?

Also can't quite believe that a 'warlock' with an apparent dragon fetish is caught off guard so easily by their ability to breathe fire. And where the fuck is Bronn?

droid
07-06-2012, 10:57 AM
I thought the last episode was good but a bit scattershot, covering as it did seven plot arcs in one hour. The rift in the Stark camp between Robb and his dear mama is interesting, I think. And Jon Snow finally does something noteworthy and not totally shit. Couldn't help but laugh as Theon's Braveheart moment is unceremoniously cut short, but what's meant to have happened at Winterfell exactly? Surely 500 Stark men could have taken the place from 20 Greyjoy soldiers without the whole place being burnt to a cinder?

I haven't seen the latest episode, but in the book the Greyjoys leggit and there's some shenanigans with the Bolton bastard.

blacktulip
07-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Also can't quite believe that a 'warlock' with an apparent dragon fetish is caught off guard so easily by their ability to breathe fire.

Explanation: he was from 'Edinburgh'.

Mr. Tea
07-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Explanation: he was from 'Edinburgh'.

Huh?

blacktulip
07-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Sorry: it's just very hard to suspend disbelief sometimes when the accents are so pronounced and so familiar.

Mr. Tea
09-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Sorry: it's just very hard to suspend disbelief sometimes when the accents are so pronounced and so familiar.

Why are there never any fantasy Brummies? Or Scousers? Ser Davos is sort of Geordie sounding, but apart from him the accent options seem to be RP, mockney, Generic Tyke and Foreign.

Tentative Andy
09-06-2012, 07:21 PM
I was going to wait until I'd finished with Breaking Bad before I started on this but I caved (thanks for the link, Baboon!). Already halfway through the first series so it must be pretty addictive. I like the scale of it and all the political intrigue going on, it's very well plotted I think. Also like how they sporadically chuck in these gruesome/shocking 'OH SHIT' moments, like with the jousting in the 4th episode.
(Breaking Bad is great too, but the sort of thing that I find I need to take a break from every so often).

Tentative Andy
09-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Oh and like everyone else I think Tyrion is a great character.

blacktulip
11-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Fucking hell. I only just twigged that the tongueless executioner is Wilko Johnson.

Mr. Tea
23-06-2012, 09:39 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m34f56lnZs1r3tjk9o1_500.png

"MATT DAMON!"

BareBones
12-07-2012, 05:58 PM
well late with this, just watched all of seasons 1 and 2 in a few weeks, what a corker of a show and i normally hate fantasy stuff

I can't believe it took me the best part of season 2 to clock that bronn is bloody jerome "robson and jerome" flynn

blacktulip
12-07-2012, 10:50 PM
DID EXACTLY THE SAME!

BareBones
13-07-2012, 10:40 AM
i'd love to show someone who only knows him from GOT the video to 'saturday night at the movies'

droid
27-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Just popping in to say - fuck GOT and Martin's nonsense. They should have made Joe Abercrombie's first law trilogy into a TV show instead. It's just as grey and gritty, arguably better written, but most importantly - it's finished.

blacktulip
28-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Take your stuff away from here.

droid
28-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Dont you understand? This show will never be finished. He's spent a year writing about 50 pages of book 6. He's got probably 2000+ to go before its all done, plus the quality has already taken a massive nosedive.

luka
28-01-2013, 10:36 PM
the tv writers will provide an ending. nothing to worry about.

droid
28-01-2013, 10:46 PM
the tv writers will provide an ending. nothing to worry about.

Yeah... maybe, and maybe that will be better, but TBH, despite Martin's uselessness Im not sure anyone else could pull it all together satisfactorily. The TV version would need to start deviating from the books very early to avoid the narrative hole he's dug himself into.

blacktulip
29-01-2013, 07:52 AM
TBH I thought the narrative was very patchy from the off. A bit like Downton Abbey, actually.

Mr. Tea
29-01-2013, 08:11 AM
You reckon? I thought they've held it together well so far, especially considering the rapid proliferation of subplots in the second series. Then again I don't really watch TV these days and this is the first non-comedy series I've properly followed since Sopranos, so my judgement may be off.

Also, big up whoever added tags to this thread, very good.

blacktulip
29-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I guess it's just that plot ingenuity and sturdiness are not the reasons I watch Game of Gnomes. I just take it and enjoy it for what it does well. Costume design, casting, locations, the occasional nice one-liner.

droid
29-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Oh yeah. Casting, costumes, and locations. That's what was missing from the books!

Mr. Tea
29-01-2013, 10:15 AM
To be honest, it could just be hour-long installments of Tyrion Lannister being a lovable wisecracking schemer with occasional interludes of violence and tits and I'd be perfectly happy.

droid
29-01-2013, 11:51 AM
What is/was good about the first 3 books (at least) was the use of multiple viewpoints to slowly draw out the contradictions in (most) of the characters and to explore a rich, interweaving history and morally morally ambiguous world which confounds standard fantasy tropes.

blacktulip
29-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Oh yeah. Casting, costumes, and locations. That's what was missing from the books!

Probably why I have no plans to read them! =)

zhao
29-01-2013, 03:37 PM
To be honest, it could just be hour-long installments of Tyrion Lannister being a lovable wisecracking schemer with occasional interludes of violence and tits and I'd be perfectly happy.

why i'm happy with just that 0.5 second GIF animation of him slapping Geoffrey

blacktulip
29-01-2013, 04:35 PM
I think he's called fucking Joffrey, which is even more reason to watch that gif cycle round a couple dozen times.

Mr. Tea
29-01-2013, 04:45 PM
why i'm happy with just that 0.5 second GIF animation of him slapping Geoffrey

Ha, I'd forgotten about that, quality.

droid
13-03-2013, 09:24 PM
I hear season 3 is on the way soon. Still reeling from my encounters with Abercrombie.

Phaedo
18-03-2013, 06:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R4XSeW4B5Rg

Mr. Tea
25-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Greatjon Umber has his fingers bitten off by a wolf in GoT, and then his ear bitten off by a nutter IRL (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-21927889). :eek:

Corpsey
05-04-2013, 11:35 PM
Anyone seen episode one of season 3 yet? Great to have it back, despite a few boring moments.

I luuurrrrrved the scene with Tywin and Tyrion.

The CGI was also good, and I'm excited to see some more fantasy elements bleeding into the show now that the 'real' world is firmly established.

Mr. Tea
13-04-2013, 05:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XPUpF1_MPi8

Mr. Tea
03-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Thoughts on the season so far?

I'm generally digging it. Some characters introduced in the last season are maturing nicely, especially Marge Tyrell; cute, clever, manipulative, potentially *very* dangerous - but for whom? - and perhaps the only person who can realistically dare to try and influence Joffrey, now that he's not even listening to his mum any more. And Granny Tyrell is already one of my favourite characters outside the obvious series stalwarts like Tyrion and Tywin.

Speaking of Tywin, the change in Cersei's face from smugness to horror as Tywin announced Tyrion's impending marriage to Sansa and then hers to Loris was priceless, wasn't it?

And the ongoing tribulations of Jaime and Theon are almost - but not quite - enough to start making me feel sorry for them.

Good to see things looking up for Jon Snow, at least as far as da honeyz go. His head-first approach was commendably brave, I thought, I mean how often do Wildings get to wash, do you reckon?

If I have a criticism, it's that there's almost too many sub-plots (and sub-sub-plots) to keep track of, so the episodes can seem scattershot and often a particular thread won't be treated at all for an episode or two, so you have to think back to what happened two or three weeks ago. Would it better if there was slightly less going on but if each thread was treated more fully?

Mr. Tea
03-05-2013, 10:14 PM
I prefer the battle of wits/backstabbing/politics to the magical aspects, bit more interesting.

Co-signed, in fact I've been thinking this since the first season. I think they've balanced it fairly well so far, kind of hoping the later seasons don't descend into a dragons-vs-White Wankers CGI free-for-all, which would no doubt look awesome but would probably be a lot less entertaining on balance than a good ten-minute scene involving Tyrion/Cersei/Littlefinger/Varys or whoever.

Definitely agree that we need more Bronn! And yes, Pod the first-time sex god had me in stitches, as did Margaery's mention of the late Renley's 'painful-sounding' suggestion, haha.

I love how well she's got Joffrey's number...the lad is so fucked up that he has no sexual interest in women in themselves, only in so far as they can either be victims of violence (Ros and her poor colleague; Sansa, indirectly via her dad's execution) or accessories to it (Marge getting Joffrey's motor going with a lot of fairly unsubtle crossbow-as-penis-metaphor chat).

I like to think I'm keeping tabs on the various plot arcs reasonably well but I'm still mystified by the continued misadventures of Theon Grey(not having much)joy. So one of his men bopped him on the head in Winterfell when he was about to lead them all on a suicide charge against a far superior Stark force, fair enough. But what happened then? Who was torturing him? All I can think of is that he was handed over to some semi-renegade element of the Bolton faction, who are keeping it quiet from Robb so they can exact revenge in their uniquely old-fashioned and unpleasant way. But then why did that young lad rescue Theon and set him free, then kill the guys who recaptured him and were about to dish out a vigorous surprise bumming, only to lead him back to the castle where his original torturers were waiting for him? I guess it'll be explained at some point at the moment I'm pretty much in the dark..

Oh, and the scene with Jaime and Brienne was actually kind of touching, wasn't it? Jaime is clearly a prize douche even by GoT standards but he's lost his sword hand, he's been recaptured a Stark bannerman well known for his love of torture and his dad and sister don't have a clue where he is...he's staring to look pretty much fucked.

Corpsey
06-05-2013, 06:10 PM
The weakest bits are the bits with Daenerys and the bits with Jon Snow, probably something to do with how bad they both are as actors (although this is quite enjoyable). I did enjoy Snow's shagging scene, mainly because I have a slightly confusing crush on Ygritte (and yes, going down on a wildling must be noxious, though warm at least).

My favourite character now has to be Tywin Lannister - aside from the usual suspects (Tyrion, Bronn...). Baelish's accent is getting more outrageously bad by the episode. I love Joffrey, he's such a prize prick: the way he struts about, stands with his hand on his hip, calls his sword 'heart eater' and so on.

Corpsey
06-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Oh and agreed with Mr Tea about the Greyjoy thing - what was that fake-rescue thing supposed to be about? Hopefully will be explained soon.

Mr. Tea
07-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Yeah, Dany's generally pretty wooden but in a way it somehow works, doesn't it? It just seems to go along with her total, uncontrived self-belief and Wille zur Macht. I think she'd be a good example of what tvtropes calls a 'Determinator'.

Joffrey is fucking brilliant, isn't he? As characters you love to hate, I can't remember watching someone so convincingly awful. I think the actor is doing a bang-up job. I have to wonder if the directors gave him a biography of Caligula to help prepare him for the role.

Also, is it 'wildING' or 'wildLING'? Seems no-one can decide.

Corpsey
07-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Okayyy

1. Just when Joffrey is becoming a bit of a comical cunt, there comes a moment of ice-cold sadistic brutality to make you earnestly yearn to see him eat his own plops in hell. Bad news for Margaery? Oh and Baelish is one hell of a bastard. Varys has now become what could pass for a 'good' guy.

2. Jon Snow as hilariously shit as usual, but the wall-climb was well done and I actually fell for the old ''he's going to drop her!'' routine.

3. Theon torture scenes are now dragging a little. I STILL don't get the false-rescue thing. I guess the guy's just a sadistic maniac who does that sort of thing for a laugh?

4. The episoode was a bit dull, I don't really see where any of it is leading at the moment.

5. Rob Stark, what a cunt.

Mr. Tea
08-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Ah, looks like you've seen ep6, which I haven't yet.

Fuck, Joffrey must be up to some seriously nasty tricks to make you say that - hard to think what could make him sink any lower in one's estimation after the oh-god-I-can't-watch scene with Ros and the other girl in the second season. I'll have to watch tonight and find out.

Varys is a great character, isn't he? I've actually had him pegged as a 'good' guy (to the extent that the ASOFAI universe has any) from season 1 - not good in any kind of epic, heroic way, as he says himself, but more in the sense of a sort of Benthamite utility. I genuinely believe him when he says that he serves "the Realm" and that what he wants most of all is peace - he just thinks that if one person has to die, or even if ten or a hundred have to die, it's worth if it can prevent a huge war in which thousands die. Like when Ned was in the dungeon and Varys said he could spring him out of there, but didn't - I take that to mean Varys thought that by having Ned humiliated (made to take the black) but ultimately released unharmed, he could avoid an all-out war between the Starks and the Lannisters. Which, if true, would mean even he misunderestimated Joffrey as a power-drunk adolescent shithead rather than a true psychopath of Caligula-esque proportions. Or maybe he just thought it would be easier to broker an allegiance between the Starks and one of the surviving Baratheons in order to get rid of Joffrey.

Then again, again, isn't he conspiring with that beardy bloke Illyrio to bring about a Targeryen restoration? He doesn't seem the ideological sort so it's hard to believe he's doing it out of a fanatical devotion to House Targeryen, so maybe he thinks peace will be easier to achieve with Dany on the throne? But then, last surviving Targeryen hell-bent on revenge + Dothraki + dragons doesn't really sound like the optimal recipe for peace in our time...and Varys didn't have much of a problem with Robert's orders to have Dany bumped off (in fact wasn't it his idea?), but maybe he knew Ser Jorah would foil the attempt, thus inciting Drogo into war against Robert...

I've probably spent far too long thinking about this.

droid
08-05-2013, 02:01 PM
You're right tea. Mysterious sadist guy is a Bolton.

Mr. Tea
08-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Ah well that makes sense. Last thing we need at this juncture is the introduction of yet another new faction. Still scratching my head over this pair of mysterious siblings who ambushed and then tagged along with Bran and Rickon...

droid
08-05-2013, 02:26 PM
The two swamp kids. In the book they visit Bran at Winterfell prior to the sacking. The marsh people are loyal Stark bannermen with weird powers.

Mr. Tea
08-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Oh, the marsh people, of course...seriously wouldn't be surprised if The Knights Who Say Ni turned up next. The hill tribes were pretty Monty Python as it is.

Mr. Tea
08-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Oh for heaven's sake.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9oqerYkXg1rf4jw0o1_1280.jpg

droid
08-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Crannogmen - thats what they're called. A much lamented nonappearance in season 2:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Howland_Reed

Lichen
08-05-2013, 03:21 PM
The weakest bits are the bits with Daenerys.

She's a shocking actress but the Unsullied plot line is great.

Mr. Tea
08-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Can you imagine how much awesomer the Harry Potter films would have been if they could have got the lad playing Joffrey to play Draco Malfoy?

Mr. Tea
09-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Love that final scene between LF and Varys, even if it was a bit "Why, Lord Exposition! What an unexpected pleasure!".

I also like how even Tywin is on the back foot with his "Well even *if* my son and daughter were involved in some hideously murky incestuous affair, WHICH THEY'RE NOT BY THE WAY...!" - so great that someone with the balls and brains to match his has appeared in the form of Granny Tyrell. Oh, and Slow Loris is gay, in case you hadn't worked it out. Part of me wants to say "we get it already" but OTOH some of the lines are genuinely quite funny.

But by Christ, that bit at the start with Samwell serenading his chinless paramour was stuck in to fill five spare minutes, wasn't it? Gah.

Edit: wow, Robb's missus is Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter, cool.

Lichen
09-05-2013, 08:31 AM
There should be a ban on showing Gnomes characters in mufti.

Mr. Tea
18-05-2013, 04:18 AM
LOVE that scene between Joffrey and his grampa, eh?

Also enjoyed Marc Almond's star turn as the lord of that slave city Dany's (presumably) about to make short work of.

Ygritte...there's a fine line between enjoyably feisty and downright annoying, and she's spending more and more time on the wrong side of it.

Mr. Tea
27-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Thoughts about ep8? I liked that it dealt with fewer plotlines than they've generally been doing this series. Joffrey continues to demonstrate that there's no such thing as moral absolute zero. I loved Tyrion's standing up to him.

However, a severe dearth of Varys, Littlefinger and Bronn.

One thing that's bugging me a bit is this stuff about the supposed properties of royal blood. "Where do you think your get strength from?", Mel asks Gendry - uh, is it definitely nothing to do with the fact that he's spent the last ten years smashing bits of hot metal with a fuck-off hammer every day? And it doesn't seem to fit too well in a series that generally subverts or ignores trad fantasy tropes more often than it conforms to them. I mean, Terry Pratchett was taking the piss out of this sort of guff 20 years ago.

padraig (u.s.)
27-05-2013, 12:55 PM
"Where do you think your get strength from?"

well robert baraetheon was a huge, enormously strong dude. dunno if comes across in the show cos they got a normal size guy to play him but in the books he's supposed to be like 6'6" (so almost 2m) and totally ripped in his prime during the war. by the time the books start he's gone to fat from a life of hedonistic excess but the genes he'd still pass on. inherited physical traits are a pretty common theme and sometime plot device in the books but not in a magical sense, except maybe for the targaryens tho even w/them it'd still be genetically inherited quasi-magical traits I guess.

Mr. Tea
27-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Sure, but Robert B must hardly have been the only tall, strong guy in Westeros and moreover, most people would be fairly ripped if they'd been working in a smithy since childhood, was my point.

Edit: plus Mystic Mel's idea that it must have magic properties is borne out by the demonstration with the leeches, isn't it?

Corpsey
28-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Thoughts about ep8? I liked that it dealt with fewer plotlines than they've generally been doing this series. Joffrey continues to demonstrate that there's no such thing as moral absolute zero. I loved Tyrion's standing up to him.

I've realised that my main two issues with this season are

1. Too many plotlines (and some of them are boring)
2. Anything can happen (magic/dragons etc. makes things less exciting)

I miss the more leisurely pace of the first series, and I agree that the latest episode was better for slowing things down a little. The wedding scene in particular was very good.

I'm assuming Joffrey is going to die soon after that leech scene.

Mr. Tea
28-05-2013, 07:40 PM
2. Anything can happen (magic/dragons etc. makes things less exciting)

Yeah, I find my interest wanes in the stories that involve lots of explicitly magic/supernatural stuff. Renley's assassination, although visually quite cool, was a low point for me in terms of the story in the last series. As you say, it just means anything can happen. And surely the GoT universe is enough of a crapsack world (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrapsackWorld) with people like Joffrey, Tywin, Littlefinger and Balon Greyjoy in charge of it, without needing monsters and black magic?

Having said that, Samwell's dispatching of the White Wanker was pretty cool, largely because it gave him the opportunity not to be a totally useless multichinned pussyhole for once.

I'm assuming Joffrey is going to die soon after that leech scene.

Given the punishment being doled out to Theon, I can't begin to imagine what the writers have in mind for Joffers.

IdleRich
28-05-2013, 07:57 PM
"Renley's assassination, although visually quite cool, was a low point for me in terms of the story in the last series."
Yeah definitely, if she can do that why not just off all her enemies and have done with it? I seem to remember they gave some half-arsed explanation but if it was a one-shot weapon wouldn't it have been better to use it on one of the more dangerous adversaries?
You'd think that the leech thing means the three people mentioned are gonna die - if not why bother?

Mr. Tea
28-05-2013, 09:11 PM
I assumed the leeches going foomf was a demonstration of the magic potency of royal blood rather than the actual death-spell itself, and that she was naming the next three victims of whatever monstrosity she'd engendered from Gendry. Stannis presumably being too shagged out at this point to provided the requisite mojo.

Corpsey
28-05-2013, 11:28 PM
It's funny cos I have wanted Joffrey to die horribly all along, and I still do, but I'd be sorry to see him go in a way cos he's so great to hate. I mean, if he ramped down his psychopathy a bit (and was just the sort of dick who removes Tyrion's footstool instead of crossbowing prostitutes and threatening to rape women for a laugh) he'd be a lot more loveable to hate.

I DO want Samuel to die, his wide simpering eyes do my head in and those scenes involving him and er out of Skins are DULLLLL (other than the stabbing - I thought the white walker's approach through shadows was well done).

Its more or less always the same characters who are interesting and fun to watch - Tyrion, Jamie, Cersei, Tywin, Baelish, Varys...

Oh I dunno, maybe I'm moaning too much. I still get annoyed at the end of each episode that I have to wait for the next. Overall though this has been my least favourite season so far. It's still very good fun.

Corpsey
03-06-2013, 11:50 PM
http://replygif.net/i/309

Mr. Tea
04-06-2013, 08:30 AM
aargh aargh aargh I want to know what happens but my girlfriend hasn't watched any of the third series yet and I'm up to ep8 and I've just moved in with her so I can't really watch the last two by myself, aargh aargh aargh!

wise
04-06-2013, 08:54 AM
I assumed the leeches going foomf was a demonstration of the magic potency of royal blood rather than the actual death-spell itself, and that she was naming the next three victims of whatever monstrosity she'd engendered from Gendry. Stannis presumably being too shagged out at this point to provided the requisite mojo.

death spell itself

Mr. Tea
04-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Blimey, it's gonna be a bloody one! Looking forward to this. Though I had a feeling Robb, at least, was gonna get it soon.

droid
06-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Ah, the red wedding happened. Its all downhill from here.

zhao
09-06-2013, 04:26 AM
instead of "Game of Gnomes", show should have been called "Fuck the Starks"

i guess those characters were not strong and had no where to go really...
if they continued the war it would have been a challenge to make it interesting probably...
pretty shocking nonetheless.
maybe Jon Snow will come back and lead? with help of cripple boy and little angry girl, who is just going to be like, so so so next level angry now!

the perfect anti-slavery mother of dragons can't just go on getting lucky and just take the 7 kingdoms can she? that would be pretty lame plot wise no?

Corpsey
09-06-2013, 01:40 PM
I haven't read past 'clash of kings' but from what I understand book two of 'storm of swords' is pretty crazy and shit will pop off in the next series. I know, having watched a google interview with GRRMartin, that a big character is going to pop their clogs soon, and not unsurprisingly, and I can't wait for that. I'm wondering if that's going to happen in tonight's episode or if it will be reserved for next year. So far its always been structured so the penultimate episode is the OMGWTFinF episode and the last episode is setting things up for next year so...

It's weird when you think about it that the white walkers have figured so little in this series, after the massive zombie army march that closed series 2 - I can only remember that one bit with fat Sam stabbing homie with the magic knife and that's about it, zombie-wise.

Anyway, I'm interested to know what's going to happen after the red wedding. And, as Zhao says, with the Starks gone (or at least for now, with Bran and Arya presumably years from fulfilling their potential as bad-asses), it seems like its pretty much every evil, unscrupulous bastard for themselves. One thing I really like about how GOT is developing is that the ''heroes'' (such as they can be) of the show now include Jamie Lannister, Tyrion (who was always a hero admittedly), Varys and The Hound. The truly virtuous characters (i.e. The Starks) almost fall short of heroism in Martin's universe because they're so hopelessly naive they can't survive or prosper.

I can see the Boltons emerging as the new biggest evil cunts on the scene in the near future. Also I haven't wanted somebody horribly dead as much as Walder Frey since Joffrey got the Butcher Boy killed.

Mr. Tea
09-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Arya is definitely one of the most bad-ass characters, can't get enough of her, but agreed that it'll be a few years (and series) before she's old enough to be one of the principle faction leaders, if that ever happens. I think things started to go wrong in the Stark camp when there was the big split between Robb and his mum over Jaime's escape, although leaving Winterfell basically unguarded and reneging on the deal with Walder were only going to cause trouble later on.

Having said that, if what I think happens to Robb is what actually happens to him then it would have happened all the same if he'd been breaking down the gates of the Red Keep with a triumphant Stark army behind him, so it kind of doesn't matter in the end.

Also, I might have said this already but I'm actually quite enjoying the redemption of Jaime Lannister despite him being such a fun-to-hate character in the first series and a half. He's still a smarmy gobby cunt though.

zhao
10-06-2013, 01:28 AM
showing Jamie's other, sensitive, and possibly even "good" (???) side, and his perspective on the king slaying was next level story telling, not only for TV, but especially a genre traditionally filled only with 1 dimensional cut-out characters.

i hope this kind of thing happens much more: showing that everyone has many sides, (of course some with most or all sides being decent or asshole) and their perspective and world view - like, you know... Real Life.

zhao
10-06-2013, 01:33 AM
But the entire time i'm watching this i can't help thinking what an amazing series could be made of the "War of 3 Nations" of Chinese history. Now THAT is some EPIC fucking shit with intrigue, strategy, back stabbing, stranger than fiction plot twists, amazing characters, which in every way dwarfs (no pun intended) this fantasy narrative, and it is all actual historical events.

Some day, surely, maybe soonish, it will get made, and you will all shit bricks for years.

Mr. Tea
10-06-2013, 11:24 AM
I could really see that working, when you consider the obvious public appetite for 'grittily realistic' (i.e. packed to the rafters with treachery, murder and fucking) historical drama series set in ancient Rome, renaissance Italy, Tudor England etc. in recent years.

zhao
10-06-2013, 07:38 PM
oh wow there is already a series!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Kingdoms_(TV_series)

http://i2.sinaimg.cn/ent/2010/0518/201051813820.jpg

http://i0.sinaimg.cn/ent/2010/0511/20105115315.jpg

Mr. Tea
11-06-2013, 09:09 AM
That guy's got the demented, bug-eyed leer of a bona-fide goatfucking psychopath, for sure. Not every actor is entirely convincing but I can't get over how well cast it is - would those who've read the books agree?

Mr. Tea
28-06-2013, 03:56 PM
How's this for an idea: Malcolm Tucker should be in the next series?

muser
19-08-2013, 08:06 AM
i think anyone that doesnt have time or inclination to read the books should definitley just read the chapter of the red wedding, its next level. I been reading cos I havnt had chance to dl the new series yet but caught the scene on YT now im just past the tv series , well worth it.

luka
29-10-2013, 10:56 AM
this is the best show ever. so much better than anything else. i avoided reading this until now cos i hadnt go round to watching the last series. so good. the po faced wire can fuck right off. this is so good. i loved the shy giant.

luka
08-11-2013, 02:39 PM
I always imagine Justin beaver being like joffery as he holds court in his dressing room/tour bus post-show, humiliating minions and groupies while terrified courtiers laugh along out of fear.

Mr. Tea
08-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Yep, I can dig that.

Also,

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7100/g8so.png

luka
08-11-2013, 05:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCLkSoEW804

luka
08-11-2013, 05:18 PM
He wears a Dothraki arakh on his left hip and a Myrish stiletto on his right hip, their golden hilts custom-made in the shape of naked wanton women.

Daario states that he "count[s] no day as lived unless I have loved a woman, slain a foeman, and eaten a fine meal".

luka
08-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Jaqen is surprisingly calm in the face of danger, yet courteous. He uses an odd speech pattern in which he refers to both himself and others using the third person indefinite, e.g. saying "a man thanks a girl" when he is directly addressing Arya and expressing his own thanks.

Local Authority
12-11-2013, 12:13 AM
Sansa's gonna rise up boss the kingdoms

Phaedo
15-04-2014, 12:36 AM
Who has watched the second episode of the new season then?

once again, was not expecting that...

Corpsey
15-04-2014, 02:03 PM
I WAS expecting it, but only because I happened across a spoiler in an interview with George R R Martin. It was very well done, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the fallout is this series.

I will hold back on talking about it since some ppl on here probably haven't watched it yet.

Phaedo
20-04-2014, 08:39 PM
The whole wedding scene was excruciating. The tension was nearly unbearable in places, especially when the dwarfs came out. Really well done. Was some fantastically bitchy comments from Cersei and Loras too.

Mr. Tea
22-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Anyone find Dontos Hollard a bit familiar-looking?

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140407052935/gameofthrones/images/thumb/0/04/Dontos-Hollard-401.jpg/250px-Dontos-Hollard-401.jpg

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/53891000/jpg/_53891593_jex_1098828_de01.jpg

Mr. Tea
22-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Also I'm a bit annoyed they changed the actor for Dario, anyone know why that is? I was kind of enjoying his Conan x Legolas x a Ken doll x a-1990s-male-model-from-a-shampoo-commercial aesthetic. With a dash of Daniel-Day-Lewis-in-Last-Of-The-Mohicans.

continuum
27-04-2014, 08:43 PM
I've been avoiding this thread due to being a bit behind but have now caught up thanks to nowtv.com

I read the first book before watching any of the TV series and really feel they are doing a good job with converting it to the screen. Most of what I think has already been said in this thread but obviously the red wedding is the highlight so far. So against what you would expect to happen in any modern storyline.

Corpsey
30-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Littlefinger's accent has gone fully Irish now after several seasons of going all over the place.

I'm finding the Dany storyline consistently dull now. The supernatural elements of the show are generally pretty dull IMO, far more interested in the political intrigue. I almost wonder why G.R.R. Martin needed to bother with all this magical rubbish in the first place.

Corpsey
30-04-2014, 09:24 PM
Bronn is one of my favourite characters at the moment. He's so no-nonsense he's practically a walking pint of John Smith's...

:D

Mr. Tea
30-04-2014, 09:29 PM
I'm finding the Dany storyline consistently dull now.

Yeah, it's like, OK she goes around freeing slaves and then they become her followers, we get it already.

The supernatural elements of the show are generally pretty dull IMO, far more interested in the political intrigue. I almost wonder why G.R.R. Martin needed to bother with all this magical rubbish in the first place.

I've thought this since the first series. More sword, less sorcery, please (not that there isn't plenty of sword as it is, but you know). It's also pretty inconsistent, I mean Renley was unambiguously killed by his brother's freaky demon-baby but why was there only one of them? Droid said something about it draining Stannis's mojo but that hasn't really been explained in the series. So did Robb and Joffrey die because of the magic spell with the leeches, or just because someone wanted to kill them?

I have a feeling that the big finale is going to hinge around the fact that only dragon-fire can kill White Wankers...

Corpsey
30-04-2014, 09:33 PM
I always imagine Justin beaver being like joffery as he holds court in his dressing room/tour bus post-show, humiliating minions and groupies while terrified courtiers laugh along out of fear.

luka and Mr Tea have done sterling work in this thread. Have a Gold Dragon.

Corpsey
30-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Yeah, when it first started I thought it was a cool idea that dragons and giants etc HAD existed but had all died out - it fitted well with the sense of a world where magic and chivalry were long gone, if they even existed at all.

God, wasn't all that stuff with the warlocks in the last series boring?

I think Emilia Clarke's delivery of the ''I'll repay injustice with... justice!'' was my favourite wooden line reading of the show so far.

The brothers standing up one by one in response to Jon Snow's speech was very cheesy, I like that evil Lock character though, hopefully he'll stab Jon Snow through the heart. Apparently this last episode deviated significantly from the books for the first time - the fact that Bran might meet up with Jon is supposedly not in the books AT ALL.

Just a quick note to any fans of the show with a Blu Ray player - it is definitely worth getting the show on Blu Ray because the quality of the image is ASTONISHING. It's like some sort of HR hallucination floating in front of my grateful, tear-sodden eyes.

IdleRich
30-04-2014, 10:10 PM
"So did Robb and Joffrey die because of the magic spell with the leeches, or just because someone wanted to kill them?"
I like this ambiguity - they put a curse on him and he died and they can believe they were the cause but others will just see the proximate cause and just think they were poisoned or whatever. Things like that happen in real life all the time.

"I mean Renley was unambiguously killed by his brother's freaky demon-baby but why was there only one of them?"
That was a bit rubbish I agree. If they had a one-shot certainty like that then surely there were better targets.

IdleRich
30-04-2014, 10:13 PM
"I have a feeling that the big finale is going to hinge around the fact that only dragon-fire can kill White Wankers..."
But didn't the fat bloke kill one or did I dream that?

Mr. Tea
30-04-2014, 10:39 PM
But didn't the fat bloke kill one or did I dream that?

Yeah, with a dagger made from...

*drum roll*

..."dragon-glass!"

Which I imagine to be some sort of obsidian resulting from rock that's been vitrified by dragon-fire.

droid
01-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Dragon glass is obsidian.

Bran and Jon... there is a brief encounter in the books.

Devil assassin child - sucks Stannis' life force every time.

Littlefinger - he is Irish. I cycle past him on the way into work occasionally. Supposed to be a nice guy.

You think Dany's storyline is bad now?

I haven't watched this in ages. At least a season behind.

IdleRich
01-05-2014, 01:43 PM
The actor who plays Littlefinger is Irish sure but is the character? He wasn't at the start but he seems to be now. He was in Queer As Folk right? I remember my girlfriend at the time making me watch it every week cos she fancied him.

droid
01-05-2014, 03:19 PM
The actor who plays Littlefinger is Irish sure but is the character? He wasn't at the start but he seems to be now. He was in Queer As Folk right? I remember my girlfriend at the time making me watch it every week cos she fancied him.

Im not sure there is an Ireland in Westeros (cue upside down Ireland/westeros post from Tea)?

TBH, I dont think he ever puts on that much of an accent in anything - bar when he played Carcetti in the wire.

Mr. Tea
01-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Devil assassin child - sucks Stannis' life force every time.

Yeah I recall you said earlier, but it would make more sense if he'd had several, and visibly weakened each time, but you can't really get that impression from it happening just the one time (I think all we've had to go on in the series was Melissandre saying something like "your fires burn low, my lord" when he asked her to do the magic vaginal assassin trick again). It just seems odd that there's only been one when you'd think she could pop one out to deal with each of Stannis's enemies.

You think Dany's storyline is bad now?

Oh blimey, that doesn't fill me with confidence...

droid
01-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Yeah I recall you said earlier, but it would make more sense if he'd had several, and visibly weakened each time, but you can't really get that impression from it happening just the one time (I think all we've had to go on in the series was Melissandre saying something like "your fires burn low, my lord" when he asked her to do the magic vaginal assassin trick again). It just seems odd that there's only been one when you'd think she could pop one out to deal with each of Stannis's enemies.

Wasnt he sick or something in the TV show after. There's not much reference to it in the book, but it is made clear somehow (I cant recall) that its a last ditch kinda deal.

Oh blimey, that doesn't fill me with confidence...

She more or less bears the brunt of Martin's growing narrative uselessness.. I imagine her storyline will be radically shortened in the TV show, which means all you'll miss is acres of prose about Dario's hair, makeup and pantaloons, and loads of doing absolutely nothing in the desert.

mrfaucet
05-05-2014, 01:44 PM
This series definitely feels a lot slower and less gratifying. I suppose that's partly because there are so many characters now that one episode gets spread pretty thinly. That said, it has still taken ages for some plot lines to progress or get picked up on again. I just rewatched the final episode of the last series as my girlfriend thought she might not have seen it, and it reminded me about Theon's sister and her band of killers going to save Theon. There hasn't been a hint of that and we're half way in (although I saw that it comes up in the next episode) yet we've had lots of nothing much, like the Dany parts people have mentioned. Also agree about the the magic vs political intrigue thing - hopefully Tyrion's trial will make up for that.

Mr. Tea
06-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Tyrion's trial in the first series was superb - especially his confession of a lengthy catalogue of maturbatorial misdemeanours. I have high hopes for his next.

Mr. Tea
14-05-2014, 12:03 AM
I have high hopes for his next.

Fuuuucking hell. And what is Shae doing? Surely she's twigged by now that he only said those things to her to get her to go away because she was in so much danger? Gah.

I didn't think it was possible to love Mark Gatiss any more than I did already, but I do. Also, who else saw the black pirate dude's punchline coming a mile off? Still loved it.

Poor Theon.

Mr. Tea
14-05-2014, 12:10 AM
I sincerely hope we're not going to have to watch Denise Tarragon conquer Astamouth and all the rest again.

droid
14-05-2014, 10:17 AM
Best scrap of the entire story coming up! Still havent watched any of these though.

Mr. Tea
14-05-2014, 12:13 PM
I loved the list of poisons stolen from Maester Duracell's drug cupboard. Was half expecting it to include ponce-on-the-heath, loony toad-twat and Hattie Jacques' pretentious cheese wog.

mrfaucet
14-05-2014, 06:45 PM
Hopefully now Stannis has got a shit load of gold some real stuff can start happening. The scrap Droid refers to is, I'm guessing, Tyrion's trial by combat. Who's going to be his champion. Jamie (is that even possible?)? Bronn (again)?

Another thing, this episode made me realise there hasn't been enough Varys this series.

Corpsey
14-05-2014, 09:35 PM
I've really enjoyed the last two episodes of the series, seems like a lot of storylines which weren't going anywhere really have suddenly started developing and intersecting (e.g. it's nice to see that Dani's storyline actually MEANS something to Tywin, even if it means a quick piss break for the rest of us).

To me the epic sweep of the storyline is actually something of a weakness - it would be a much more compelling story altogether if it was concentrated almost entirely on Kings Landing, as that's where pretty much all the interesting stuff is happening as far as I can tell.

One little thing I enjoyed in the latest episode was the conversation between Varys and Oberyn (sorry if I'm completely misspelling their names) in the throne room - regarding Varys's sexuality (/lackthereof). It reminded me of the first series of GOT, in which you had a lot of these two-hand conversations which sometimes were a bit clunky and exposition heavy but which often gave nice insights into the depth of emotion motivating the characters power-plays. I much prefer that stuff to the dragons attacking goat-herders and so on.

Corpsey
14-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Hopefully now Stannis has got a shit load of gold some real stuff can start happening. The scrap Droid refers to is, I'm guessing, Tyrion's trial by combat. Who's going to be his champion. Jamie (is that even possible?)? Bronn (again)?

Another thing, this episode made me realise there hasn't been enough Varys this series.

I'm expecting a Bronn vs. Jamie (fighting, at odds with himself, for Cersei) showdown - foreshadowed by the scenes of Bronn training Jamie to fight again. Perhaps that would be too obvious, though?

Corpsey
14-05-2014, 09:41 PM
BTW I thought the statue outside Bravos was just ridiculously big but then I did some research and came across the Spring Temple Buddha, which I'd never heard of before but which is FUCKING GIGANTIC

http://oddstuffmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/spring+temple+buddha.jpg

Corpsey
14-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Now thinking of starting a ''gigantic buildings/statues'' thread

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Valle_de_los_caidos_by_forcy-cruz_y_basilica.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ushiku_daibutsu.jpg

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/4800/zivert.36/0_4129d_bc7b966d_XL.jpg

droid
14-05-2014, 10:08 PM
I'm expecting a Bronn vs. Jamie (fighting, at odds with himself, for Cersei) showdown - foreshadowed by the scenes of Bronn training Jamie to fight again. Perhaps that would be too obvious, though?

I wont spoil it anymore, except to say - who most wants revenge and who is the object of their vengeance?

IdleRich
14-05-2014, 10:25 PM
I reckon I'd be slightly disappointed in a justice system whereby the accused could escape if he had the hardest champion to fight for him. I could sort of see it a bit if the guy had to fight for his own life but having a champion makes it totally unfair. I mean, what was the belief? That if the guy was innocent then God would show by letting his champion win? If you get let off cos of that then do the victim's family accept it? "I could have sworn that he was the one but thanks to the irrefutable evidence of the duel now I know that he's not. I shudder to think how close we came to hanging an innocent man".
Even when that kind of justice system existed didn't most people have more sophisticated reasoning than that? How prevalent was this kind of system? Did it only happen in very special circumstances or what?

droid
14-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Wot? You expect priests and nobles to fight for themselves?

IdleRich
14-05-2014, 11:50 PM
Well, I expect them to have a more modern form of justice where they can just pay their way out but it seems to the proles that they've been properly cleared.

blacktulip
15-05-2014, 08:36 AM
"I felt uncomfortable because I would have had to go on a horse and he would have touched me up and shit."

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/may/15/lily-allen-role-alfie-game-of-thrones-yara-greyjoy