Name this tune for me...

IdleRich

IdleRich
... without hearing it. Right this is a difficult one, this guy I dj with plays this tune quite often that is rocking. But, in what's become a kind of running joke, he refuses to tell me what it is so if anybody can name it from the description I'm gonna attempt then I will be eternally grateful.
I'm pretty sure it's from the last two or three years (think it's on a white label twelve) and it kind of sounds like maybe an amped up John Carpenter or dance-floor take on Vangelis with riffs along the lines of Assault on Precint 13 but a lot faster and also kind of arpeggiated. It's definitely got a film soundtrack feel with synth-type strings in the background but the beats are fairly heavy and almost motorik. Neu meets John Carpenter on speed would be the NME description I reckon.
Something like Zombie Zombie (see the song below) would be a good guess but it's a lot better than anything I've heard by them - and unfortunately it's probably someone a lot more obscure.

computer_rock

sounds sick but the only thing that comes to mind is jamie vex'd recent stuff (kuedo) and it's probably not that?

or maze by actress?

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's that kind of thing (the Actress one) but tooled up for the dancefloor with a kind of driving beat. Good guess.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Of course he could be pitching it way up or something when he plays it out though so don't necessarily rule anything out on the basis of tempo...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Aargh! Still no. There is so much of this stuff out there I guess (just flicking through countless youtube videos) but this particular tune really stood out for me.
Closest in sound I've heard is probably something like this but in my opinion the thing I'm after is far superior.

bruno

est malade
nochexxx, that track is gorgeous.

idlerich, in the spirit of musical bonding, and wishing you olympic enlightenment, i offer you i-f's (very old) man with a stick:

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Aargh! Still no. There is so much of this stuff out there I guess (just flicking through countless youtube videos) but this particular tune really stood out for me.
Closest in sound I've heard is probably something like this but in my opinion the thing I'm after is far superior.

I don't think it's what you're looking but that zombi youtube reminded me of the following:

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Close but still no cigar.
The track I'm thinking does have a kind of techno feel - it also sort of reminds me of a kind of smoothed out Fix Flash in that it's got those kind of arpeggios but definitely not the scratch breaks or whatever you call them.

But that's a red herring I think. 21st century John Carpenter is the way to go.
Thanks very much to everyone for getting involved by the way - and particularly the wish for Olympic enlightenment.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Problem is that the memory is fading minute by minute even now. I'd forgotten it to be honest until he played it again on Friday and then woke today with it stuck in my head... but now it's gone... although I will recognise it if and when.
I bet MMS or Edward would nail it but they don't come on very often any more.

computer_rock

get yer phone out and record it next time he plays it! the thread has thrown up some good tunes ive never heard of before tho.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think it's going more in the direction of suggesting good tunes at the moment but that's definitely not a bad thing.
My phone doesn't do that unfortunately but I will know someone whose does. Although it could be months before that happens.
I've just remembered one more clue which is that he said something about hoping to "get them over to play" at some point which tells me they are still playing and that they are not from the UK.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Some of that Ghostly stuff isn't too far away either

In fact that's probably the nearest in sound yet. Plus I've actually got that one.

bruno

est malade
in an unlikely sequence of events, tonight you click an unmarked folder in your friend's dock (he is a mac user) containing an untitled wav file which you brazenly click to reveal the song! still reeling from this discovery, you then stumble into his bathroom only to find two boxes of unmarked, freshly-pressed vinyl. it was him all along! of course it was me, you silly bastard, he exclaims, revealing the words fuck you, rich etched into the inner groove.

computer_rock

that last one made me immediately think of gerald donald /dopple effekt (someone already posted a japanese telecom tune)

i guess arp synths are the obvious connecting thread here