Play me some tunes like this...

DannyL

Wild Horses

I love this sound. I suppose what I'm looking for is strip club anthems which horrifies me a little bit. I like the southern drawl with the slowed down funk of the productions. Quality rapping, some synth licks and killer hooks don't do any harm either. Maybe I should spend my time digging into MJG & 8Ball's back catalogue? "Wood Wheel" by UGK and Mike Jones' "Still Tippin'" would probably fit in here as well, but they don't have the erotic edge to them.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Cheers Luka, listening now. Tyga don't sound too bad on first play, but I don't know how compelling he is. The beat is wicked, and another rapper could do some damage on it, but he's just ... okay.

Last edited:

luka

this doesnt fit but looking at my itunes for you i come across this and remembered how glorious it is. indulge me.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Feeling Talk 2 Me though, not listening to the rap that closely. It doesn't even matter tbh. It's a bit more like a texture when it's mixed that low in the mix (kinda like some Main Attraktionz stuff).

DannyL

Wild Horses
how compelling is KRIT, its the beats isnt it?

Yeah, but 8Ball and MJG got some good verses on that track. I love the 2 Chainz verse on that as well - "Stayed at my grandma house with 25 bibles, stayed at the trap house wiht 25 rifles".

And liking the Boosie a lot. Weird patois inflection on the chorus which I've never heard before on a Southern track.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Sorry for not getting back to this thread. I love the Juvenile and I didn't know it. My hip hop game is weak tbh as I have periodic bouts of total disinterest/following up other things. God knows what I was listening to in 2004, probably loads of rocksteady.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I found the answer to my question. In spades.

DJ Dibiase & Burn One's Presidential mixtapes are absolutely stuffed to the fucking gills with this sort of sound. They're incredible mixes of loads of obscure (to me) Southern country rap shit. Chock full of that chilled out, G-Funk kinda sound I've been looking for, the soundtrack to riding around smoking mad trees in an '87 Cutlass with hoes in the back. Or something. I'm not even sure what an '87 Cutlass is, but fuck it. Currently 8 volumes deep which is a frightening addition to the deluge, but well worth it.

Here's a link to the first one:
http://keepittrill.com/online/2011/11/dj-burn-dj-dibiase-presidential-mixtape/

(Incredible instrumental section here, about 30 mins in).