Woebot's 100 Lost Rock Albums From The 1970s

Benny Bunter

Anyone else read this yet? I think its an excellent read.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=ntt_a...lias=digital-text&field-author=Matthew Ingram

I really like the idea of excavating these old records, many of which were very successful at the time but have since been forgotten. This being Woebot, there's no sense of revisionism-for-sake-of-it, just a genuine curiosity and love for the music. Thankfully, even when he's talking about really obscure records, some i suppose I'll never get to hear, its still very interesting to me. Basically, if you liked his blog you will like this cos its written in the same style (remember his epic hip hop and Jazz posts?).

Some insightful writing about stuff like Punk's right-wing tendencies, the narcissism of solo singer/songwriter records in the 70s, 70s recording studios as 'plateau of ecellence', pub rock, metal, hard rock etc...

Of course its been inspiring me to revisit a few things I used to love again. Very pleased to see I want to see the bright lights tonight, Wreckless Eric, Nilsson, The Only Ones, Mahavishnu Orchestra all in there.

And I've since checked out a few things I'd never heard before, some really good records like Groundhogs - Thank christ for the bomb (wicked guitar album this) and
JJ Cale's Naturally (chugs along beautifully on a really groovy drum machine backing...a bit like the Velvet underground's 3rd album in feel to me. Definitely a lost classic!). looking forward to following up a few more leads soon.

Plus i like it when he says funny things like "Put that in your pipe and smoke it!" and actually gets away with it :D

This could also be a thread for posting about your own favourite 70s rock albums I suppose...

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
god bless woebot, but i have no e-reader, so i'm not buying this... could we get just a list of the 100 records for conversation's sake?

forgotten is a tough concept for the 70's, just b/c there are so many sub-scenes of collectors and something that is obscure to one is totally known to another... i think i get the gist from what you've said, so i will put forth 5 from my records...

1. Eddie Hazel- Games, Dames, and Guitar Thangs
2. Peter Hamill- Silent Corner and the Empty Stage
3. David Crosby- If I Could Only Remember My Name
4. Sensational Alex Harvey Band- Next!
5. Shuggie Otis- Freedom Flight

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
There are free versions of Kindle for PCs and Macs, if you want to download it. I'll probably download this tonight. Cheers for the link, Benny.

The Groundhogs LP is the fucking shit - "The Garden" is a monster. It's one of those weird records where I love the little bits of it that stick in my head, like the way he sings "before agricultural land". Funnily enough, someone was playing the electric apocalypse that is Two Sides of Tony McPhee at a party at about 10AM yesterday morning. It sounded remarkably good. "Split" is also wicked, though I had "Who's Gonna Save the World" and got rid of it - did nowt for me.

If you are interested in digging deep into this territory, try here:
http://www.galacticramble.com/

Benny Bunter

god bless woebot, but i have no e-reader, so i'm not buying this... could we get just a list of the 100 records for conversation's sake?

Can't be arsed to type out the full list. but I did find a spotify playlist of most of the LPs here http://sharemyplaylists.com/woebot-s-100-lost-rock-albums-from-the-7

Also the Quietus have extracts from the book on their site
http://thequietus.com/articles/07782-100-lost-albums-from-the-1970s

Been rocking that Numbers Band album HARD. And JJ Cales Naturally is such a lovely thing to listen to. I put it on when I go to sleep, which is a big compliment from me as I'm always looking for good albums I can sleep to.

Many more still to check out.

craner

Beast of Burden
I finally got a copy of this, and I have been enjoying it very much; I love the obsessive, revisionist verve and the uncluttered but informed analytical tone.

craner

Beast of Burden
Plus, I want to hear the records, and I am not a noted enthusiast for 70s Rock, so the book obviously works.