Great music from crap towns

Trillhouse

Photek is from St Albans. A place I don't have much experience of, but it's listed on those 'crap towns' things.

Last edited:

tomfun

APB - Shoot You Down (Ellon, near Aberdeen)

Touchdown - Ease Your Mind (Norfolk is a county, but like w/e)

Impossible Dreamers - Spin (Exeter, i have a friend who lives there right now and she is bored out of her skull)

There must be tonnes, but the first two spring to mind as i have spent time in both places and they are pretty crap. My telephone number in Ellon was 248, three numbers...

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

There must be tonnes.

You know, I thought this but I've been racking my brains for good examples and coming up blank! i was kind of hoping to strike London a blow from the provinces with this huge list of great stuff, but there isn't that much really. Lots of musical blackholes.

Was thinking that there must be tons in the wake of the punk explosion and independent scene in the late 70s/80s period...but still all the best bands I can think of came from London or some other big city.

I've spent most of my life til now in the extreme north of England (Cumbria/Tyne & Wear) and that is definitely a pop music blackhole if ever there was one!

(obv this is all very UK-centric)

S

simon silverdollar

has any decent music ever come out of central (zone 1) london? i can't think of any.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
kent is a fucking black hole of music in some ways, but Kate Bush is from there.

i'd say so much great UK music has come from shit places. Zed Bias is from Milton keynes, isn't he? A friend of mine grew up vaguely knowing him, i think.

Jesus and Mary Chain -East Kilbride

Benny Bunter

Jesus and Mary Chain -East Kilbride

This is a good example. Didn't one of the Reid bros once develop a horrible skin condition from living exclusively on pickled eggs?

Sorry but not sure about some of these other suggestions. Theres no way Kate Bush is from a crap town and Dizzee was raised in London.

Im talking about great music from crap towns here!

luka

you could make a case for ilford being london, a shaky one but no one would laugh at you. romford on the other hand is at least a 2 hour walk from stratford and as such is definietly essex.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The Prodigy - Braintree

Outside the UK, Pere Ubu, Devo and some of the Breeders are all from shitholes in Ohio (this may be a pleonastic phrase, not sure). As is Scott Walker.

STN

sou'wester
Dexy's Midnight Runners - Wolverhampton

Swell Maps - Leamington Spa

Extreme Noise Terror - Ipswich