Azealia Banks

IdleRich

IdleRich
She's the fucking tits.
Did you see that interview in the Guardian when (according to the journalist) she broke down and cried midway through? Weird. And maybe not necessary to report, I dunno.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I quite like 212. The other bits I've heard, like the one using the Lone tune, don't work quite as well though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I just love the way she looks as though she's having so much fun in the 212 video. I wonder if she'll ever do anything I like as much as that again but I don't really care to be honest. That's enough.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I just love the way she looks as though she's having so much fun in the 212 video. I wonder if she'll ever do anything I like as much as that again but I don't really care to be honest. That's enough.

Yup. That's it exactly. I must have watched that video 30 times by now, it's genius.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I know a guy who is a very talented film-maker and he said "It's such a shame that song doesn't have a video of the same calibre". I said "No way, that video is brilliant, if she's faking having fun then she's doing it so fucking well it must have cost a billion pounds - and if she's not faking it's even better".

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
yeah, there's a lot of aliveness in that video. if anything i'd say it's the song which is slightly the poorer relation.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
I am scared by the amount I like the 212 phenomenon (video and song are now inseparable to me). Too many trends done let me down in the past.

zhao

there are no accidents
I wonder if she'll ever do anything I like as much as that again

remember that one baltimore club MC girl? what's her name. was on fire for a minute a few years back with everyone dropping her tune and making remixes with the acapella (i did too) and then just disappeared... read an article about some massive personal problems.

i hope this one goes on to do great things, but doesn't seem likely since all the other songs i've checked are entirely forgettable.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
agree that 212 is an absolutely great song/video. one thing I noticed tho that I haven't seen anyone talk about is all the pretty strong gay slurs in the lyrics. so obviously it's point is repping Harlem/herself but all the disses are about a dude being gay, sucking cock, questioning his sexuality + equating homosexuality with weakness, etc. which I guess is a time-honored tradition in rap (including female MCs, I'm like 99% sure I've heard Lil Kim go off on that topic multiple times). and OTOH the song's most famous line is about getting eaten out by a woman, so I dunno...just thought it was weird that no one at all's mentioned it especially in this post-Lil B, Syd the Kyd era. at last for the kind of rap that's going to get covered on Pitchfork + Fader + whatever. but great song regardless, one of the very few new things I've heard in a long time that blew my mind for a minute or two.

everything else I've heard has been totally meh tho.

IdleRich

IdleRich
To be honest, being white, English and middleclass there was very little that I could get out of the lyrics at all (don't even know what 212 means, is it like a postcode or something?). Didn't pick up on the gay slurs or the fact that the cunt eating line was about another woman. And sadly I think that I've even seen the lyrics written down. Pretty lame but can you identify the lines you're talking about please? Because yeah I would want to talk about it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
212 is the Manhattan area code, but I didn't get much of the rest.

Is it self-consciously difficult to understand, cos I don't think any European would have the faintest what she's saying, and the electro slant has certainly captured the Euro market? I like the reference to Rapunzel.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
The gay lyrics are

You're gay to get discovered in my two-one-deuce
Cock-a-licking in the water by the blue bayou
Caught the warm goo in your doo-rag too, son?
Nigga you’re a Kool-Aid dude

which comes after

She know where I get mine from, end of season
Now she wanna lick my plum in the evening
And fit that ton-tongue d-deep in
I guess that cunt getting eaten

I think it's fair enough if a guy comes up to you on the tube (what she's talking about, the uptown A train) and tries to chat you up then you slag him off saying he's probably better at sucking cock. I like the balance between that and her being eaten out, I think it's tremendous.