wot no RIP Whitney thread?

sufi

lala
how come?
whitney-whitney-houston-cover1.jpg

poor her?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
the whitney/cyndi mashup is great. Two of the best 80s pop singles.

This, unimpeachable (is it Darkchild on production, I get confused? If so, then he really is my favourite RnB producer):

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6J538b-OLRU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
this, unimpeachable

also put this up in the 2-step thread, and surely most people here familiar with it but what the hell. original is quasi 2-step to begin with but wookie still done right.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vUE6Zu0FaOc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

also this (whitney comes in at about 1:50)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VohPfEFUo4Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

never heard a singer w/more raw talent, personally. RIP.

Bangpuss

To reiterate a point I have already made in another outlet:

Please stop with the Whitney Houston tributes. You never gave a fuck when she was alive. It seems like yet another case of the trendy muso/media community embracing mainstream artists to show just how un-elitist they are. This is in itself a form of elitism, since you're either pretending to like an artist like Whitney as an ironic statement of anti-cool, or pretending to appreciate MOR R&B because you see something more artistic and worthwhile than the average punter.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
^all respect man but I think you're 100% wrong. Whitney singing the national anthem at the Super Bowl in 91 is practically a defining moment of my childhood. many people round here are very open about their love for mainstream R&B. the indie music press embraced it a long, long time ago. it seems like you're stuck in some weird perpetual 1996 where none of that happened. also, speaking personally, I wasn't intimately aware of all her personal problems over the years b/c I don't pay much attention to celebrity antics in general but I can still have empathy + mourn the loss of a great, great talent.

+ what's up with that bitter self-righteousness? oh well I guess it's your prerogative.

hucks

Your Message Here
@Bangpuss yeah sometimes it's tedious when people all of a sudden get interested in someone when they die. I fucking hate Johnny Cash and found all that hagiography following his death really tiresome. But sometimes it's just an opportunity to talk about an artist you wouldn't otherwise talk about. And this thread has, IMO, 3 stone cold bangers embedded. I love that hint rnx, ima download it now.

And a plea. Can we not have people accusing other people of being fake or pretending cos they have divergent opinions? It's fucking boring.

joe.dfx

who knows...
yeah but he just did that to make money. dude didn't even swear on the nin cover.

her music was cheesy as fuck it was what middle aged house wives and 12 year old girls listened too.

and if she hadn't died this year, this way and had lived another 30 years in crazyville none of this "love" would be around...