songs about death

rubberdingyrapids

what are some good songs about death? theres the smiths' i know its over and a million hip hop songs dedicated to dead dudes and a million non specific sad sounding songs (i keep wanting to hear john cales dying on the vine - arcade fire must have heard this a million times right? not that i even like anything except neon bible from them anyway) but i might need to work on my playlist for this (to listen to when im happy of course).

recommendations?

edit - this version is amazing.

Last edited:

DonRuba

Stocktown man
Allen Ginsberg - Father Death Blues
which I think I read that he wrote on a plane traveling home to his father's funeral.

This version is the one I like best:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Joe Meek's Johnny Remember Me is perhaps the epitome of a strangely popular sixties teen genre known as death songs in which at least one of a pair of young lovers would perish. Often, as here, the ghost of the loved one returns to haunt the one who survived.

Leader of the Pack is a death song although a lot of people don't realise that he dies in a motorbike accident at the end.

I'm liking this a lot at the moment.

Also this hence the thread I just started though maybe it's about the sick glamour of a suicide pact rather than death as such