PDA

View Full Version : Films You've Seen Recently and Don't Know WTF to think

zhao
23-03-2012, 09:29 PM
saw Red State last night.

starts out as standard horror with some kind of awkward realism and a fundie christian twist, so far so good. and then it becomes a shoot-out action thriller. kind of. but not really.

on one hand i didn't really give a damn about any of the characters (nothing out of the ordinary these days), but on the other the feeling toward and at the end was kinda cool when the realization dawns that the police and the feds, and the entire god damned country is a Red State. i think?

was pretty tired when i saw it and today seriously sleep deprived. so on top of it all my analytic tools may not be functioning properly... and 3 actors from Breaking Bad??

:slanted:

craner
23-03-2012, 10:06 PM
SS Girls

woops
24-03-2012, 06:29 PM
I was really hoping that this thread would be not about films that make you wonder which side you're on, but about films that make you think nothing other than WTF

Mr. Tea
24-03-2012, 07:21 PM
I was really hoping that this thread would be not about films that make you wonder which side you're on, but about films that make you think nothing other than WTF

Must be a few dedicated Lynch/Cronenberg threads already, I'd have thought? Though I'm sure there's much weirder stuff out there - IdleRich to thread...

HMGovt
24-03-2012, 10:10 PM
The Jodorowsky one with the lizard battle opening scene

this one, holy mountain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm2DsiCtJd4&feature=related

It comes on strong around 10 minutes, with the love machine unfolding.

zhao
24-03-2012, 10:22 PM

isn't it what it's about? there were no "sides" to take with Red State really... unless you are FOR the fundie serial killers???

zhao
24-03-2012, 10:26 PM
The Jodorowsky one with the lizard battle opening scene

this one, holy mountain

I dig the machine orgasm, birth scene.

film opens with christ waking up and smoking a spliff with a dwarf.

the TOAD battle scene comes later, as a reenactment of Spanish conquistadors battle against the Aztecs. pretty gruesome when they explode.

i haven't seen his other ones... should i?

e/y
24-03-2012, 10:28 PM
El Topo is good.

rubberdingyrapids
25-03-2012, 09:08 PM
primer.

reminded me of pi.

IdleRich
26-03-2012, 08:45 AM
I think Primer is probably the most complicated film I've ever seen.

rubberdingyrapids
26-03-2012, 09:52 AM
i was tempted to watch it again but then decided to watch king kong instead.

but it is genuinely complex, i.e. not in the inception/christopher nolan kind of way. i quite liked that i had no clue what was happening half the time. thats a good kind of wtf film.

zhao
26-03-2012, 09:55 AM
wish Jodorowsky's version of Dune had gone ahead. Sounds superb.

would have been so much better than the lame ass lynch version surely.

baboon2004
26-03-2012, 10:08 AM
film opens with christ waking up and smoking a spliff with a dwarf.

the TOAD battle scene comes later, as a reenactment of Spanish conquistadors battle against the Aztecs. pretty gruesome when they explode.

i haven't seen his other ones... should i?

no. el topo is terrible and unbelievably boring, at least.

Mr. Tea
26-03-2012, 10:14 AM
would have been so much better than the lame ass lynch version surely.

Can't say whether it would have been better but I still love the Lynch version. Heart plugs! Weirding modules! Francesca Annis looking hot as hell! Patrick Stewart! Sting!

rubberdingyrapids
26-03-2012, 10:28 AM
lol dune is mindblowingly tedious. it has to be two (well nearly three) of the most boring hours ive ever spent in a cinema. apparently the longer version lynch wanted to submit would have made it make sense but apart from some great characters/creatures/amazing set design, i cant think of anything redeeming about it. well, apart from sting. who i think punctures the films seriousness quite well.

Mr. Tea
26-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Thing is, I love the book and know it pretty well so I can just enjoy the film on a mainly aesthetic level.

IdleRich
26-03-2012, 10:52 AM
It's a mess but I think it's fun.

rubberdingyrapids
26-03-2012, 10:59 AM
forget lynch or jodorowsky, i dont think i would have minded if the flash gordon director mike hodges did dune.

Mr. Tea
26-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Ha, might have been a tiiiny bit on the camp side but yeah, it could have worked.

I was going to say Dune is a great watch when you're a bit high but then realised that doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement...

blacktulip
26-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Sting as rentboy in Dune vs Sting as rentboy in The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle. hmmm...

zhao
26-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Heart plugs! Weirding modules! Francesca Annis looking hot as hell! Patrick Stewart! Sting!

standing on top of worms big as giant submarines traveling at probably 4000 kilometers per hour in and out of sand mountains! believable!

but lets not waste any more pixels on this tediosity... on a barely or un related note, i'm looking forward to the Ridley Scott Alien prequel coming this summer...

baboon2004
26-03-2012, 04:17 PM
hadn 't heard about that. awesome news.

zhao
26-03-2012, 04:41 PM
hadn 't heard about that. awesome news.

what! i thought this was as talked about as PHONY2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHcHYisZFLU&feature=player_embedded

HMGovt
26-03-2012, 04:51 PM
what! i thought this was as talked about as PHONY2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHcHYisZFLU&feature=player_embedded

I buy into this prequel. Something about it reminds me of an Iain M Banks Culture novel, maybe the atmospherics or the big wheelie ship thing.

padraig (u.s.)
26-03-2012, 05:48 PM
we had the Dune conversation recently in "films you would not recommend" thread:

^100% w/tea but we're both hopeless Dune fanatics (right tea?). which I will now prove by showing I know far too much about Dune film adaptations

Dune was originally (in the early 70s) to be directed by Jodorowsky (of Holy Mountain fame), with sets designed by Moebius, and Salvador Dali (!) playing the Padishah Emperor. that would have been a true mindfuck of film (oh did I mention it was also going to be 10 hours long?) but of course no one was willing to fund such lunacy so it fell through. apparently Lynch's version was originally much longer too but for obvious commercial reasons was severely cut down, leaving this garbled, incoherent mess. at least the sets + costumes (both holdovers from the Jodorowsky version) are cool. and, Patrick freaking Stewart. there's also a Sci-Fi channel miniseries version. the production values are lower but it's more faithful to the book (it covers the first 3 actually) + better in a lot of ways. the great William Hurt plays Duke Leto.

also, one thing that's always bugged me about the fremen: spice-blue eyes aside, they're not white. they're based on a combo of tuareg + bedouins. they speak freaking arabic. yet every dune film has a bunch of pasty white fremen.

the Sting/Muad'Dib knife fight set to some killer electro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TjUCZ-x13I

padraig (u.s.)
26-03-2012, 06:12 PM
i'm a big jodorowsky fan. el topo + holy mountain are both great. however, his most WTF film has to be santa sangre. i can't even really describe it. it's like...if john waters, almovodar + david lynch got together to make a slasher flick, only much, much stranger + more extreme.

padraig (u.s.)
26-03-2012, 06:25 PM
also, flash gordon is an amazing cinematic experience. brian blessed is a national treasure (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxaVxF1D0XM). also, queen. (the highlander soundtrack kills too. queen is tied w/tangerine dream for best soundtrack band of all time. here we are born to be kings we're the princes of the universe HEAAH (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q8QVsL50xQ) the world misses you freddie mercury)

prometheus is the first big hollywood flick i've been excited about in forever (+ I mean, like crazy excited). it looks so, so good.

padraig (u.s.)
26-03-2012, 06:59 PM
^except, sorry, i just remembered, ming the merciless is a hella uncomfortable like 1920s asian stereotype. but the rest of it is awesome.

Bangpuss
27-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Mirror, by Tarkovsky. Wasn't sure what to think, other than "This is incredibly boring without being privy to the all-important subtexts and symbolism which must be what makes the film worthwhile as the titanic work of art so many people claim it to be, which must have taken some reading up on beforehand, which I haven't done, so kind of renders the whole exercise pointless."

The Limits of Control, by Jarmusch. Ditto.

baboon2004
23-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Mirror, by Tarkovsky. Wasn't sure what to think, other than "This is incredibly boring without being privy to the all-important subtexts and symbolism which must be what makes the film worthwhile as the titanic work of art so many people claim it to be, which must have taken some reading up on beforehand, which I haven't done, so kind of renders the whole exercise pointless."

The Limits of Control, by Jarmusch. Ditto.

Only seen one Tarkovsky (can't even remember the name, it was shot in italy or something) and I felt similarly. Numbed.

Saw Primer yesterday. Foolishly hadn't prepared myself to concentrate as fully as I needed to, but, having read a lot about it since, am looking forward to watching it again and picking up the nuances that I missed first time round. I love the aesthetic he consciously chose - experimentation/innovation as taking place in anonymous, low-key surroundings rather than glitzy glamorous ones, the main discovery often being a side-effect of the intended experiment, the perhaps-undeveloped morality of the characters in contrast to their highly developed technical knowledge, the refusal to dumb down the scientific language, the use of shooting techniques to suggest the confusion of time in the narrative etc etc.

Really, really impressive to even attempt something that ambitious. Whatever its shortcomings, deserves approbation for ambition.

Still thinking WTF about a lot of the plot, though. But in a good way.

outraygeous
23-04-2012, 04:34 PM
I enjoyed Primer, that was a really good film.

I watched The Death of Mr. Lazarescu and although I enjoyed it in parts, I did feel like I was a voyeur in strange situation. A very slow and depressing situation.

Its rated very highly.

baboon2004
23-04-2012, 04:36 PM
That was one of the films we contemplated watching yesterday. Glad I decided against it.

IdleRich
24-04-2012, 11:03 AM
I watched Powell and Pressburger's Tales of Hoffman the other day. It's a film of an opera of some of his stories - but (probably cos it was an opera, possibly because I was significantly refreshed) I couldn't really follow what was going on at all despite having read the books. Some great imagery in there though which is what I was hoping for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsxrD9YKNac

viktorvaughn
24-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Only seen one Tarkovsky (can't even remember the name, it was shot in italy or something) and I felt similarly. Numbed.

I'm working my way through a Tarkovsky box set and filling the gaps on ones I haven't seen.

There seems to be a reverse quality gradient with time IMO, so first two (Ivans Childhood and Andrei Rublev) are really good (not exactly fast paced but stunningly beautiful), next two are quite good (Solaris and Stalker) and final three (Mirror, Nostalgia, and I've not seen The Sacrifice yet) rather boring (a few beautiful images but not enough to sustain things).

So, er, I guess then I'd recommend Ivan's Childhood and AR.

IdleRich
24-04-2012, 11:50 AM
What! Mirror is definitely the best film I've ever seen. What's wrong with you people?

luka
24-04-2012, 11:53 AM
mirrors well boring. stalker is a good sci fi film though. i like it a lot. solaris, thats boring too. fucking hell is that ever boring. i fell asleep and was appalled to see it was still going when i woke up.

IdleRich
24-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Incorrect.

luka
24-04-2012, 12:18 PM
is it the one with a woman on a bed or something? some shots of grass in the wind?

e/y
24-04-2012, 12:20 PM
yes.

it's great, don't think it is boring at all. my only gripe is that most of the English subs that I've seen for it don't really put do the dialogue justice.

IdleRich
24-04-2012, 12:39 PM
The grass in the wind is Mirror - the woman in a bed could be Mirror or The Sacrifice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_aEjbYED0Q

e/y
24-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Well at the start of Solyaris, Kris is standing in some swaying grass near his parents' home, too. And his wife lays in his bed after the whole door thing...that's what I thought luka meant.

I've only seen Ivans Childhood, Andrei Rublev, Solyaris (which is probably my favourite movie) and Stalker...need to watch the others.

luka
24-04-2012, 01:32 PM
solaris is enervating. mirror was the grass in the wind/woman on the bed film cos im fairly sure i havent seen sacrifice.

luka
24-04-2012, 01:35 PM
im not very good at watching films though. i get bored easily. what do you two like about it?

rubberdingyrapids
24-04-2012, 01:38 PM
primer is interesting but it seemed a bit too in love with its own cleverness. though that might just be cos i didnt know wtf they were going on about for most of it. still cleverer than inception though.

IdleRich
24-04-2012, 01:59 PM
"im not very good at watching films though. i get bored easily. what do you two like about it?"
Mirror I thought was just basically the story of someone's life told in a kind of cubist or cut-up way so that you get a mixture of actual events and imagined events and dreams that add up together to tell you more about the person than a simple biography would. It's also kinda tied up with how Russia changed over that time and so it's both personal and general and although you can't always tell the significance of individual events or even what's happening you always feel as though they are important or can see why and how they made an impression on a child who may not have understood them either. When you see it all then it comes into focus and makes sense as a whole even though the individual bits may not actually do so themselves.
I think that there are a lot of films that try techniques that are similar but none seem to be so beautifully made or soulful as Mirror. I rewatched The Singing Detective the other day and that sort of struck me as similar - the way that the various storylines seem totally unrelated but add up to give you a whole picture of a man's life, from childhood to now, and show you how certain things still affect you. Obviously it's not as abstract but it's still kinda surreal and ultimately very powerful when it all comes together.
ps yeah the famous grass scene is definitely Mirror - I think it's one of those scenes like the last one in Antonioni's The Passenger where no-one could figure out how it was done.

outraygeous
24-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Any one catch Trash Humpers?

rubberdingyrapids
24-04-2012, 04:00 PM
yeah. the scene with the kid and the baby doll was a bit tough for me to watch. but i liked the whole thing, just as a complete 'wtf is this' kind of film, and also cos i loved how it looked - all those found footage films have nothing on trash humpers lol. not sure i want to watch it again though. it would probably be best as a kind of art installation film.

luka
25-04-2012, 01:57 AM
Mirror I thought was just basically the story of someone's life told in a kind of cubist or cut-up way so that you get a mixture of actual events and imagined events and dreams that add up together to tell you more about the person than a simple biography would.

really? i didnt realise it was about a persons life just thought it was a load of annoying disconnected portentous imagery. idont think i'd watch it again though

IdleRich
25-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Well, I'm not saying I'm totally right but it's definitely not entirely disconnected - there are characters that recur although it's confusing because the same actress is sometimes his mother and sometimes his wife if I remember correctly.

baboon2004
25-04-2012, 11:40 AM
the idea sounds really interesting. will have to watch it now. Only 107 minutes, unlike Nostalghia (the one I saw) which was about 1070 minutes.

another reason Primer intrigued me was the 75 minute (ish) length. More stuff should be short. They also apparently shot a 2:1 ratio of overall footage:final footage, which is extraordinarily minimalist I believe.

rubberdingyrapids
25-04-2012, 11:43 AM
totally agree more films should be short. not that i dont like an epic 3 hours like inland empire but theres nothing wrong with those old hollywood films which are 60-80 minutes. doesnt mean its not a feature just cos its not 90 mins.

baboon2004
25-04-2012, 11:55 AM
absolutely - too often it's extra padding and poor storytelling that means films are extended beyond that length. Applies (even more so?) to novels too imo.

rubberdingyrapids
25-04-2012, 12:45 PM
i think a lot of publishers seem to be editing less, yep. esp if its a big name like irvine welsh or whoever. but even white teeth i remember was really unnecessarily long and badly in need of an editor and that was her first book. i think i read something a while ago about how a lot of book shops/chains like the bigger novels as they look more attractive.

baboon2004
25-04-2012, 02:34 PM
and give people the misguided impression that they are of necessity reading something more weighty in more than one sense.

rubberdingyrapids
25-04-2012, 03:07 PM
ive also noticed that a lot of books seem unnecessarily/over generously spaced. im sure they could save a lot of paper if they just did single spacing or 1.5 spacing and used a slightly smaller font. or maybe that would be too intimidating.

IdleRich
26-04-2012, 01:24 PM
"absolutely - too often it's extra padding and poor storytelling that means films are extended beyond that length. Applies (even more so?) to novels too imo."
Completely agreed here - I think it's cos there is no real outlet for novellas and no-one can make money out of short stories any more - it just makes more sense to spin your idea out a bit and charge full whack for it never mind if it's at the expense of tautness.

"the idea sounds really interesting. will have to watch it now. Only 107 minutes, unlike Nostalghia (the one I saw) which was about 1070 minutes."
The Mirror? Do it, I think it's totally amazing. Somehow achieves epicness (if that's a word) while also being personal despite the fact that you never quite know exactly who the central character is. The bit (presumably found footage) where you see the children being evacuated and this father grabbing his child and desperately kissing him/her really hard is heart-rending.

zhao
27-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Spring Breakers may be the single most relevant and important film anyone can make of and about our time. Or it may be ridiculously vacuous drivel. But certainly it is both. At the same time of course.

the fantasy and boredom which fuels it, the empty desire for meaningless experience, and the pathetic symbols which function as substitute for meaning, are more than American. The film precisely captures not only the specific economic and social conditions generated by this particular stage of capitalism's evolution, and also how it is represented in pop culture.

zhao
27-07-2013, 04:05 PM
but of course at least some part, maybe a big part, of my assessment is based on knowing the history of unbearably uncomfortable and difficult to sit through films which have come from the film maker... if it was done by anyone else i wonder if anyone would attribute any cultural (critical?) significance to it.

zhao
27-07-2013, 04:08 PM

Korine fits in this thread perfectly in this sense lol

baboon2004
28-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Larry Clark, for perhaps obvious reasons, fits into that bracket too. Very good or shit, it's often hard to know.

Saw a film called Please Give the other week - very good indie fare of the type that the States and Canada churns out pretty relentlessly every year, and a film that trod a very fine line between a critique of nuclear family normativity, and sometimes seeing to tacitly endorse that same normativity, in a way that I thought was very effective and unsettling. Without giving it away, the final scene was a complete headscratcher.

rubberdingyrapids
30-07-2013, 01:09 PM
spring breakers and bling ring both seem incredibly 'now' films

zhao
30-07-2013, 07:17 PM

nomad recommended bling ring too. i will see it soon.

sufi
30-07-2013, 10:22 PM
this is definitely criteria for an enjoyable film in my book

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Man%27s_Shoes_(2004_film)

this bonkersness, recently released simultaneously on telly dvd and cinema:
http://vimeo.com/68938072 fantastic C17th psychedelic scenes

& of course les revenants (http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?13133-The-Returned)

blacktulip
31-07-2013, 11:07 AM

They are basically the same film! Who ever thought Harmony Korine and Coppola's daughter would mind-meld?

In all seriousness, I think she is one of the worst film-makers ever and should have been banned from any cinematic activity following her segment in New York Stories.

rubberdingyrapids
31-07-2013, 06:29 PM
i often think shes the worst/most vapid but i was still weirdly moved by the pointlessness/existential crisis stephen dorffs character was having in somewhere. her films teeter on that line between nothingness/silliness and strangely, naively touching emotion. i still hate lost in translation, bling ring didnt really have anything much to say about celeb culture that was especially surprising (spring breakers was maybe worse though for its sledgehammer subtlety in repeating lines of vacuous dialogue just in case we didnt realise) but its easily her most entertaining film, if only for feeding my own celeb fascination while simultaneously making me hate the kids for how complacent and smug they are and their complete self absorption/air of impunity (it was also really hard to care about their victims which made the whole thing that much more empty).

anyway, i find her films totally empty for the most part yet love how good they look (eg marie antionette).

IdleRich
01-08-2013, 09:54 AM
"In all seriousness, I think she is one of the worst film-makers ever and should have been banned from any cinematic activity following her segment in New York Stories."
I concur. Well, I haven't seen NY Stories but I agree with the first part - although strangely I would like to see Bling Ring.

rubberdingyrapids
01-08-2013, 10:06 AM
as someone who hated harry potter and never cared about anyone in it, i was surprised at how good emma watson was.

IdleRich
03-08-2013, 04:51 PM
I watched Spring Breakers the day before yesterday. Enjoyed it, especially the way that the three main girls (after Faith went home) were interchangeable and defined only by what happened to them rather than their personalities. I somehow expected it to go further than it did though. Maybe the targets - the MTV-isation of youth culture and the aspirational gangster lifestyle - merited two films rather than one film which sought to bring them together. I dunno though, they are related I think so perhaps that's not it.

Patrick Swayze
03-08-2013, 08:25 PM
I watched Spring Breakers the day before yesterday. Enjoyed it, especially the way that the three main girls (after Faith went home) were interchangeable and defined only by what happened to them rather than their personalities. I somehow expected it to go further than it did though. Maybe the targets - the MTV-isation of youth culture and the aspirational gangster lifestyle - merited two films rather than one film which sought to bring them together. I dunno though, they are related I think so perhaps that's not it.

it needed riff raff

DannyL
04-08-2013, 08:39 AM
(spring breakers was maybe worse though for its sledgehammer subtlety in repeating lines of vacuous dialogue just in case we didnt realise)

I think this was a deliberate stylistic choice with Spring Breakers. The repetition (rather than dialogue that developed plot or character) seemed to add to the film's overall effect. It's a bit like the chorus in a pop video. Seemed more cyclical and trance inducing than 'messagey' to me.

Rich, maybe you just have read or heard too much about it? I went in quite cold, expecting it be something fairly awful, so was really surprised. But I'd read nothing about it, discussed it with no one etc.

IdleRich
04-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Maybe. I just expected something a bit more extreme but maybe the lack of actual, worthwhile events was part of the point.

baboon2004
17-09-2013, 10:18 AM
The Parallax View. I love Alan J Pakula's 70s style, so I can't hate on this, but really, the story became utterly ridiculous. After Warren Beatty's character came back form the dead, his editor didn't even think to ask how he'd escaped that exploding plane. Then when said editor was poisoned, Beatty barely blinked. hey, maybe they hated each other, i dunno.

I recall All the President's Men being a lot more coherent/less obviously emotionally absurd.